We offer a package of attractive terms and conditions, optional benefits and special offers, including:
- Flexible working opportunities
- Purchase Annual Leave Scheme
- Enhanced family leave and pay entitlements (including Maternity, Adoption, Paternity/Co-Maternity and Shared Parental leave)
- Employee Wellbeing (information on free off-peak membership and significant savings on peak memberships at Aberdeen Sports Village etc.)
- The opportunity to progress your career through the annual promotions exercise
- Access to a suite of training courses including leadership and management development
- BUPA Medical Insurance
The University BUPA scheme allows you to access preferential rates for medical insurance. The scheme operates on a group risk basis and employees can join throughout the year with premiums deducted from your salary each month.
For quotes or specific queries, please email Eva.Borkowska@abdn.ac.uk. Please note, all queries or quote requests will be forwarded to BUPA and cannot be answered/provided by the University staff.
- First Bus Commuter Travel Club
As an employee of The University of Aberdeen you can sign up to the First Bus Commuter Travel Club which offers 10% off your electronic subscription ticket. This discount cannot be applied to paper tickets.
Please note, this is a voluntary benefit and it is provided by First Bus – registration process and T&C’s are determined by First Bus.
Unlimited bus travel for work or leisure
Free to join
Cheapest monthly bus tickets
Automatic mobile ticket renewal
Please follow the below steps in order to sign up:
- Visit firstgroup.com/aberdeenctc
- Register on the First Bus webpage using the form at the bottom
- Select Aberdeen University as your employer from the dropdown menu
- Use your University email address to validate access to the scheme
- First Bus will then send you a link via email. Just click this to complete the online registration and purchase a subscription ticket
Childcare Salary Sacrifice Schemes
The University offers two salary sacrifice schemes to help eligible employees with the cost of childcare. These are:
- Childcare Vouchers Salary Sacrifice Scheme (**applicable to existing members of the scheme only, Scheme is now closed to new applicants due to government review)
- Nursery Fees Salary Sacrifice Scheme
Both schemes are based on salary sacrifice which enables employees to benefit from Tax and National Insurance savings on their childcare costs. Employees sacrifice part of their gross salary - reduced taxable pay lowers the amount they pay in Tax and National Insurance. Eligibility for salary sacrifice depends on the level of income – salary sacrifice cannot reduce employee’s earnings below the minimum wage.
With the Childcare Vouchers scheme employees nominate part of their monthly salary payment, in return for Childcare Voucher Credit, allowing you to take up to £55 per week (£243 per month) in Childcare Voucher credit. With Nursery Fees Scheme, the sacrificed salary is paid directly to the Rocking Horse nursery.
CHILDCARE VOUCHERS SCHEME (**applicable to existing members of the scheme only, Scheme is now closed to new applicants due to government review)
If you joined the scheme prior to October 2018, the Childcare Vouchers can be used to pay for any approved or registered childcare, including childminders, nannies, nurseries, breakfast and afterschool clubs, play schemes and summer camps, as well as the care element of boarding schools. The scheme is provided & administered by Edenred.
You can keep getting the vouchers if:
- You have joined the scheme and your wages have been adjusted before the schemes closes in October 2018
- You stay with the same employer and they continue to run the scheme
- You do not take an unpaid career break of longer than a year
Please note, the government reviewed this scheme and subsequently closed it to new members in October 2018. All eligible employees can only register for the Tax Free Childcare scheme.
The Tax Free Childcare scheme is not based on salary sacrifice and there is no employer involvement as parents are responsible for confirming their eligibility and setting up their online account. Further information can be found on the government website.
To register, please contact:
Eva Borkowska - HR Partner (Reward & Policy)
Rocking Horse Nursery
On 31 August 2015, the Rocking Horse Nursery moved in to a new purpose-built energy efficient building. It is located on the University's Old Aberdeen campus. Nursery fees for the Rocking Horse Nursery can be salary sacrificed. The Rocking Horse Nursery is an independent nursery registered with the Scottish Care Inspectorate. It was setup in 1989 under the terms of a Trust to provide nursery facilities primarily for the students and staff of the University of Aberdeen. The Trust is a non-profit making body and the Nursery is self-supporting. There are places for 78 children at any one time. For further information, please visit the Nursery website.
- Employee Advantages
Employee Advantages offers exclusive, significant discounts from the UK's most popular retailers and service providers. You can save at least £565.00 a year using Employee Advantages, without changing your normal shopping habits.
- Start saving by visiting http://employeeadvantages.co.uk/
No need to set up an account - we've done this for you - simply login with your University e-mail address (email@example.com) and the password 'Aberdeen'. Remember to use a capital 'A'!
In order to authenticate your login details, Employee Advantages will send an email to you requesting you to change your password. When you change your password your login will be validated and you will be able to access the site.
Employee Advantages Helpline: 0845 600 6479
- Grampian Credit Union
The University is in partnership with Grampian Credit Union, which is an independent savings and loans co-operative. The Credit Union is available to people living and working in Aberdeen and the Grampian area, and provides affordable and ethical financial services.
Our partnership with Grampian Credit Union means that all members of University of Aberdeen staff now have the opportunity to join and access the range of financial services and products it offers. Regular savings and loan payments to the Credit Union can be made through deductions taken directly from your salary each month.
- Adult, Junior and Christmas savings accounts – saving from £10.00 per month or more
- Loans for members, with affordable interest rates – first loans £200 to £5,000
- Current Accounts with full banking service – can arrange Direct Debit and Standing Order payments
- Access accounts on-line or by phone – withdrawals direct to your bank
- Membership application and payroll deduction forms available to print from website
- Deposits covered fully by Financial Services Compensation Scheme
Grampian Credit Union is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm reference number 213701
To find out more about Grampian Credit Union, go to the homepage at web:
For more information on Car/van hire, bike to work salary sacrifice scheme and many more visit the Travel page.
You will need to login to read more information about Travel
- Tuition Fees - for Staff
Staff under contract of employment with the University wishing to undertake studies at the University may be entitled to full or partial payment of their tuition fees from their Department or Section. This is conditional on meeting certain criteria and obtaining permission from the Head of College. The Staff Tuition Fees Policy sets out the full details and conditions of this.
Staff wishing to request assistance with their tuition fees can complete and submit a Staff Tuition Fees application form, once they have consulted the policy and secured the relevant School and College level approvals.