The Payroll Office pays all employees, both permanent and temporary, and is responsible for applying (at source) all relevant deductions from pay, including the statutory deductions of PAYE Tax and National Insurance, as well Pension contributions, Salary Sacrifice Schemes, trade union subscriptions for Unite and UNISON, accident insurance, etc.

Enquiries about individual tax payments can be made to the Payroll Office:

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) Information
Equal Pay Audit

The university conducted its first extensive Equal Pay Review in 2010 and committed to carrying out a Review every three years. Below are the reviews conducted to date:

Payroll Giving

At the University of Aberdeen we operate a Payroll Giving Scheme. This allows the employee to contribute to favoured charities and good causes on a regular basis whilst saving tax.

About Charities Trust

Charities Trust is a national payroll giving and corporate donation management agency approved by the HMRC. Charities Trust is a non-profit making organisation and a charity in its own right.

What is Payroll Giving?

Payroll Giving enables you to donate directly from your pay to any charity or recognised good cause registered within the UK.  Any donation will be deducted from your wages before you are assessed for tax.

How does it work?

The employee will ask the University of Aberdeen to deduct regular donations from their pay. We will make the deduction before tax – in other words, after calculation of National Insurance contributions but before deduction of Pay As You Earn tax. This way you receive tax relief straightaway at the top rate of tax.

Employee Pledge to Charity (gross)

Actual Cost to Employee @ 20% Tax

Actual Cost to Employee @ 40% Tax

Actual Cost to Employee @ 45% Tax









How to Start Giving

This form can be partially completed online but must be printed out, signed and then passed to the Payroll Office. The Payroll Office will commence deductions and forward your paperwork to the Charities Trust. This will allow them to allocate the monies received to the charities indicated.

This form can also be used to amend existing payroll giving instructions. It would be helpful if you would write AMENDMENT at the top of the form if you are just changing your deductions and have previously been giving.

Adjustments to the amount you want to donate in total must go to the Payroll Office.

Changes to the charity selections should be sent to Charities Trust at:

Charities Trust
Suite 20-22
Century Building
Brunswick Business Park
Tower Street
L3 4BJ

Telephone 0151 286 5129

Did you know that, as a member of staff, you can contribute towards future sucesses within the University using payroll giving?

To find out more about giving to the University visit the Development Trust website here.

Salary Scales

Please find below links to the salary scales used within the University:

If you require further information, please contact your HR Adviser.

Scottish Rate Income Tax (SRIT)

The Scottish Parliament has the power to set an annual rate of Income Tax for Scottish taxpayers which will be effective from April 2016. This is known as the Scottish rate of Income Tax (SRIT):

Submission Deadline Dates
Payroll deadline dates for the submission of data including overtime claims, payment requests for temporary staff, changes of bank accounts, etc.
Employee FAQs on the changes to National Insurance


Enquiries about individual tax payments can be made to the Payroll Office:

If you wish to telephone, please direct your enquiry to your Payroll Officer as identified on your payslip and noted below:

Name Role Phone Staff Category

Sarah Thomson

Payroll Manager

+44 (0) 1224 27-2129

Clinical Staff

Lorraine Baker

Payroll Officer

+44 (0) 1224 27-3700

Grades 1-4

Jackie Pirie

+44 (0) 1224 27-2127

Grades 5 and 6

May-Edith Jamieson

+44 (0) 1224 27-2122

Grades 7 and above

Linda Paterson

+44 (0) 1224 27-2128

Temporary Services

Suzanne Covington

Payroll Assistant

+44 (0) 1224 27-4533

General Enquiries