- Founded in 1495, the University of Aberdeen is Scotland's third oldest university and the fifth oldest in the UK
- Community of more than 130 nationalities, with 14,000 students and 3,600 staff
- Programmes: Bachelor, Masters and PhD
- Disciplines: Arts & Humanities, Business, Social Sciences, Law, Engineering, Geosciences, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences and Medicine
- The University marked its 525th birthday by celebrating its rich and diverse achievements of the past and the launch of a new strategic vision – Aberdeen 2040
- In 1497 became the first university in the English-speaking world to have a Chair in Medicine
- Teaching Gaelic since the 18th Century
- Ranked in the top 20 universities in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2022 and Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022)
- In the top 160 universities in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022)
- Ranked 5th in the UK for overall student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2021)
- In the top 60 universities in the world for positive impact on society (Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2021)
- Scottish University of the Year 2019 (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019)
- 2nd in the UK for medicine (Guardian University League Table 2022)
- 3rd in the UK for sports science (Complete University Guide 2022)
- One of the UKs Top 10 Most Beautiful Historic campuses
- Sir Duncan Rice Library named one of the most beautiful in the world (CEOWORLD magazine, 2016)
- Global international networks: dedicated campus in the Gulf State of Qatar and an Alliance with Curtin University
- Outstanding sports facilities include Olympic-standard Aberdeen Sports Village and Aquatic Centre
- Five Nobel Laureates are associated with the University of Aberdeen
- 75% of research classified as world leading (REF 2014)
- The University was presented with the 2018 Queen’s Anniversary Prize for its world-class health services research
- 14th in the UK for Science Collaboration (CWTS Leiden 2021)
- Top 30 in the UK for Science Impact (CWTS Leiden 2021)
- 10th in the UK for Life Sciences Spinout (Beauhurst 2021)
- Global Top 100 and 16th in the UK for Research Quality, as measured by citations (Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2022)
The national and global league tables are calculated using different criteria and weighting but all include; student satisfaction, student to staff ratio, graduate prospects, and entry grades.
|Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide (UK)||44||45||44||40||26||27||27||20|
|Guardian University League Table (UK)||41||41||36||46||51||34||20||20|
|Complete University Guide (UK)||44||40||42||40||28||29||26||38|
|Times Higher Education (UK)||26||29||30||28||22||25||25||22|
|Times Higher Education (World)||178||172||188||185||158||168||178||158|
|QS World Rankings (UK)||24||23||23||24||27||28||28||28|
|QS World Rankings (World)||137||137||141||158||172||194||207||205|
|Shanghai Rankings (UK)||=22||=22||=21||=22||=22||=21||-||-|
|Shanghai Rankings (World)||201-300||201-300||201-300||201-300||201-300||201-300||-||-|
- The Complete University Guide 2022
Drama, Dance & Cinematics 1st Linguistics 3rd Sports Science 3rd Geography & Environmental Science 6th Biomedical Sciences 7th Chemical Engineering 7th Medicine 7th Theology & Religious Studies 9th Anthropology 10th Education 10th History of Art 11th Business & Management Studies 12th General Engineering 12th Mechanical Engineering 12th Civil Engineering 13th Computer Science 13th Music 13th Accounting & Finance 14th Law 14th Philosophy 14th Psychology 14th Sociology 16th Geology 17th Archaeology 18th Iberian Languages 18th Mathematics 20th French 21st Chemistry 22nd Electrical & Electronic Engineering 24th Biological Sciences 25th History 25th
- The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
Linguistics 1st Anatomy and Physiology 3rd Sports Science 3rd Chemistry 7th Anthropology 8th Geology 8th History of Art 8th Chemical Engineering 9th Geography and Environmental Science 9th Iberian Languages 9th Accounting and Finance 10th Mechanical Engineering 10th Medicine 10th General Engineering 11th Law 11th French 13th Archaeology and Forensic Science 14th Computing Science 14th Civil Engineering 15th Psychology 15th Business Studies 16th English 16th Music 16th Sociology 16th Education 17th History 17th Philosophy 19th Physics and Astronomy 20th Pharmacology and Pharmacy 21st Biological Sciences 22nd Politics 25th
- Guardian University League Table 2022
Medicine 2nd Dentistry 4th Computer Science & Information Systems 4th Anthropology 5th Physics 6th Sports Science 6th Sociology 10th Anatomy & Physiology 11th Engineering: General 12th Law 12th Music 12th Chemistry 15th Earth & Marine Sciences 15th Engineering: Chemical 15th Modern Languages & Linguistics 15th Politics 19th Accounting & Finance 21st Economics 23rd
- Leiden Rankings 2020
The Leiden University Rankings use bibliometric indicators to measure the performance of universities across the world.
Ranked 29th in the UK for the scientific impact of its research.
The University is ranked 8th in the UK and 1st in Scotland for collaborative research that takes place with partners across the world.
Open Access Publishing
The University is ranked 49th in the world for the number of Open Access publications. 78.5% of publications by University of Aberdeen researchers are Open Access.
Research Gender Diversity
This year, the university is ranked 8th in the UK for gender diversity. The University has consistently been ranked highly in the UK for the gender diversity of its researchers.