We continue to value our international community at the University of Aberdeen and welcome staff from across the EU and further afield.

We remain committed to supporting our staff whilst recognising their contribution to the University, and appreciate that EU staff may have a number of questions about how the UK’s exit from the EU might affect them and their families longer term.

We have developed this page to answer frequently asked questions and provide updated advice to staff.

Rights to continue to live and work in the UK

How do I apply for status under the EU Settlement Scheme?

The EU Settlement Scheme closed on 30th June 2021 however if you have yet to make an application, you are encouraged to do so as soon as possible. Please review the information online to proceed with an application. Please also review the detail regarding a late application which applies to all applications made after the close date. 

Should you have any concerns with your application, please discuss further with your line manager or HR Partner.

What support is available to staff who are non-EU/EEA & Swiss family members (dependents) of EU/EEA & Swiss citizens?

We offer the same level of support and advice that is available to EU/EEA and Swiss staff. EU/EEA and Swiss dependents that hold a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) may apply for Pre-Settled or Settled Status if they meet the eligibility criteria. Further information can be found on the UK Government webpage.

I have Pre-Settled status with an expiry date, what happens next?

Those who have been granted Pre-Settled status will mean that they have had less than 5 continuous years in the UK. Once you reach 5 continuous years in the UK, you will need to apply for Settled Status. If you have Pre-Settled status, the expiry date will coincide with the date that you reach the 5 years eligibility to apply for Settled Status. You must apply for Settled Status; it is not transferred over. Please review the details online particularly in relation to maintaining continuous residence in the UK.

Should I apply for British Citizenship?

You do not need to be a British Citizen to remain in the UK after Brexit. EU/EEA and Swiss nationals will require either Pre-Settled Status or Settled Status as outlined above.

However, should you be interested in British Citizenship, further information can be found on the Citizenship Government pages.

Rights for new entrants to the UK after Brexit

I am an EU citizen and considering applying for a job at the University of Aberdeen. What should I do regarding my immigration status?

Arrivals to the UK are subject to immigration control and you will need the appropriate permission to undertake work in the UK. There is an online check tool which is useful to review.

There are different visa options that permit work in the UK including Skilled Worker (sponsored by employer), Global Talent (leader/talent in field), Settled Status/Pre-Settled Status (EU Settlement Scheme) and Graduate visa (post study employment). There is detailed information on all these routes online but the HR team can also provide information.

Can my dependents join me?

Most UK immigration routes allow dependents to be included as part of your application.


I am a UK citizen, will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

You should review the immigration rules of the country you are visiting to check the requirements. After Brexit, most EU countries will have different rules in relation to UK citizens depending on the purpose of the visit. The UK Government have a foreign travel page online which outlines some of the detail regarding entry into different countries. It is recommended you review the detail here and check what is required.

Line Manager Guidance

I am a line manager, are there changes to right to work checks post Brexit?

The regulations have changed from 1st July 2021 and all EU citizens will require evidence of the right to work in the UK. This will either take the form of an appropriate visa or Settled or Pre-Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme. Please see the detail right to work guidance online. Please also liaise with your HR Partner should you have any concerns or questions.

I am a line manager/academic, how can I support my students and staff?

Please direct staff and students who have queries about Brexit to the University’s Brexit pages

In addition, our Communications team issues regular updates when appropriate. If students require more detailed advice, please contact the infohub or email Line managers should speak with their HR Partner. 

If you have questions about supply issues please contact