Wellbeing refers to the state of being comfortable, healthy and happy. Wellbeing can encompass various areas of life including personal, workplace, nutrition and exercising as well as mental health. Improving our wellbeing can require a change of habits and the conscious decision of making healthier choices.
This section details out the resources, information and activities that can help you maintain and improve your wellbeing.
Strategy and Commitment
The workplace is a setting where many people spend the largest proportion of their time and can play a key role in contributing to the health and wellbeing of colleagues around the University. Not only does a supportive work environment have a positive impact on health, but healthier workforces are more productive too.
- Mental Health and Wellbeing Strategy
The University’s Mental Health and Wellbeing Strategy has been developed to promote the University’s commitment to supporting staff and students to safeguard their own mental health and to providing excellent support services for colleagues and students who have mental health and wellbeing concerns.
- Healthy Working Lives
The Healthy Working Lives (HWL) Awards is a Scottish Government initiative to encourage employers to promote a safer and healthier workplace. We are delighted to announce that the University of Aberdeen has successfully passed our (HWL) annual review meaning that we retain our SILVER award in 2020. This award demonstrates our ongoing commitment to improving the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees. Highlights that have contributed to this success include events throughout Inclusion Week, participation in the Aberdeen Corporate Games, BeWell events and activities such as the Movement Challenge and BeWell fairs, the launch of the inaugural University of Aberdeen Staff and student cookbook and the launch of our MIND mental health eLearning.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to or participated in these activities. We are now in the process of developing a HWL strategy and action plan which will provide a framework to guide us towards achieving GOLD.
- Environment and Sustainability
Our health and well-being can be greatly influenced by the environment in which we live. From the quality of the air we breathe to the green spaces we preserve for recreational activities, our environment is instrumental in supporting our wellbeing.
In a range of simple ways, by taking care of the environment we can enhance our own sense of well-being. For example, activities like walking or cycling to work not only help to preserve our environment by cutting back on vehicle emissions but also help to keep you fit and healthy.
As a University we are committed to limiting our operational impact on the environment and support initiatives that encourage the University community to be more sustainable. From energy efficiency and waste reduction, to encouraging more active travel, you can find out more about these commitments by visiting: Environment and Sustainability
Mental Health and Wellbeing Working Group
The Mental Health and Wellbeing Working Group meet quarterly and is overseen by the Head of Health Safety and Wellbeing and the Head of Student Experience.
The aim of this working group is to implement the University of Aberdeen's Mental Health and Wellbeing Policy and Strategy.
These aim to acheive the objectives to:
- Embed a culture of openness regarding mental health and wellbeing issues;
- Engage with the University community to establish how the University can improve the mental health and wellbeing support available;
- Increase awareness-raising and communication strategies to promote the wide range of health and wellbeing services available to staff and students within the University;
- Empower staff and students to recognise and suport colleagues and peers who may require help to achieve mental healthand wellbeing goals.
- Minutes from the meeting held on 27th January 2020
- Minutes from the meeting held on 9th April 2020
- Minutes from the meeting held on 27th July 2020
- Minutes from the meeting held on 16th October 2020
- Minutes from the meeting held on 15th January 2021
- Minutes from the meeting held on 21st April 2021
- Minutes from the meeting held on 1st July 2021
- Minutes from the meeting held on 12th October 2021
- Action Plan
- Terms of Reference
If a staff member or a student wish to feed in issues or to provide feedback on the work undertaken by the group please email email@example.com
BeWell has been designed to support staff and students throughout the year! The Employee Wellbeing section of StaffNet details all opportunities for staff to improve and maintain good wellbeing, where as the BeWell section of the Student website details how the University supports students during key times of the year.