UNIVERSITY EDUCATION COMMITTEE (UEC)
A meeting of the University Education Committee will be held on Thursday 23 March 2023 at 1.05pm, by way of Microsoft Teams.
Mrs Liam Dyker, Acting Assistant Registrar
1. Approval of the minute of the meeting held on 10 October 2022 (UEC/230323/001) 2. Matters Arising (UEC/230323/002) 3. Health, Safety and Wellbeing (Oral Item) 4. Remit and Composition (UEC/230323/003) Members of the UEC are invited to discuss and approve the remit and composition, updated in line with the Senate Effectiveness Review. 5. Risk Register (UEC/230323/004) The Committee is invited to discuss the Risk Register with regards to the specific risks associated with Education. 6. Aberdeen 2040 Implementation Plan Update (UEC/230323/005) Members of the UEC are asked to discuss the proposed actions for the Aberdeen 2040 Implementation Plan. 7. Future Academic Year Structure (UEC/230223/006) Members of the UEC are invited to discuss the future academic year structure proposals 8. Decolonising the Curriculum: Principles and Timelines (UEC/230323/007)
Members of the UEC are invited to note the next steps in relation to the Decolonising the Curriculum Principles and Timelines following approval at Senate. The following actions have been agreed as part of the proposal:
i. Communication Plan: Communication to Schools through School DtCSG members and UEC.
ii. Curriculum and Programme Management: Discussions to take place regarding ensuring a process is in place including information on how the curriculum will address the principle of decolonisation.
iii. Students as Active Partners: Guidance to be developed.
iv. Reading Lists: Communication to be issued alongside main communication regarding reading lists.
v. Quality Assurance Processes: Timelines and requirements to be discussed.
vi. Training: Consolidation of training currently available to be issued alongside main communication to Schools.
9. National Student Survey (NSS): Institutional Action Plan Update (UEC/230323/008) Members of the UEC are invited to discuss the updates provided in regards to the NSS. 10. Aberdeen Student Experience Survey (UEC/230323/009) Members of the UEC are invited to discuss and approve the Aberdeen Student Experience Survey results. 11. Academic Integrity i. Contract Cheating Update (UEC/230323/010) ii. Artificial Intelligence (ChatGPT) Update (UEC/230323/011) Members of the UEC are asked to discuss the updates provided in respect of (i) contract cheating and (ii) ChatGPT. 12. Update on TESTA (UEC/230323/012) Members of the UEC are invited to discuss the updates in respect of the TESTA pilot. 13. Revisions to the AdvanceHE Professional Standards Framework for Learning and Teaching (UEC/230323/013) Members of the UEC are invited to discuss the paper providing an update on the revisions to the Professional Standards Framework for Learning and Teaching. 14. Advanced Teaching Development Scheme Proposal (UEC/230323/014) Members of the UEC are invited to discuss the Advanced Teaching Development Scheme Proposal. 15. Teaching and Learning Spaces Group (Terms of Reference) (UEC/230323/015) Members of the UEC are invited to approve the Terms of Reference for the Teaching and Learning Spaces Group 16. Dates of Next Meeting The next meeting of the UEC will take place on Tuesday 16 May 2023 at 1.05pm. 17. Items for Information – see below
Any member of the Committee wishing an item for routine approval or for information to be brought forward for discussion may ask at the meeting for that to be done. Any such item will be taken after item 1.
Declaration of interests: Any member and individual in attendance (including Officers) who has a clear interest in a matter on the agenda should declare that interest at the relevant meeting, whether or not that interest is already recorded in the Registry of Member’s interests.
17. FOR INFORMATION
17.1 Update Reports from the UEC sub-committees: i. Employability and Entrepreneurship Committee (EEC) (UEC/230323/016a) ii. Student Support and Experience Committee (SSEC) (UEC/230323/016b) 17.2 Appeals & Complaints Update 2021/22 (UEC/230323/017) Members of the UEC are invited to note the paper on Appeals and Complaints data, noting a previous error which provided the incorrect total student population. This has now been rectified and is presented to the Committee for information. 17.3 Promotions Review: Framework for Criteria and Associated Guidance Members of the Committee will have received a communication from the Senior Vice-Principal on the launch of the new Academic Promotion Policy/Procedure and Framework of Criteria. These are available as part of the Academic Promotion Toolkit. 17.4 Development of Student Learning Experience Model and Accompanying Principles (UEC/230323/018) Members of the Committee are invited to note the paper on Development of Student Learning Experience Model and Accompanying Principles. 17.5 Analysis of Institutional Annual Statements on Institution-Led Review from the Higher Education Sector (2021/22) (UEC/230323/019) Members of the Committee are invited to note the paper from the Scottish Funding Council and Quality Assurance Agency (Scotland) on Analysis of Institutional Annual Statements for Institution-Led Review for the HE sector for 2021/22. 17.6 Policy Review Update (UEC/230323/020) Members of the Committee are invited to note the paper providing an update on policy review, which details the approving committee for each policy review. 17.7 Quality Enhancement and Standards Review: Findings (UEC/230323/021) Members of the Committee are invited to note the findings from the recent Quality Enhancement and Standards Review.
- Previous Agendas
- 25 August 2022
- 23 June 2022
- 13 April 2022
- 24 February 2022
- 17 February 2022
- 18 January 2022
- 10 November 2021
- 6 October 2021
Previous Agendas for the former University Committee on Teaching and Learning
2019 - 2021
- 12 November 2020
- 14 October 2020
- 7 October 2020
- 5 August 2020
- 22 June 2020
- 21 May 2020
- 28 April 2020
- 26 February 2020
- 15 January 2020
2017 - 2019
Draft Minutes 2022/23 2021/22 2020/21
Previous Minutes for the former University Committee on Teaching and Learning
2020-2021 2019-2020 2018-2019 2010 - 2018
2017 - 2018
2000 - 2010
1998 - 2000
- 28 May 1999
- 26 March 1999
- 5 February 1999
- 11 December 1998
- 23 October 1998 (includes related documents on: Participation of External Examiners in Assessment Procedures; SHEFC TQA Reports: 1998)
This digest provides a short summary of the outcome of the meeting of the University Education Committee (UEC) held on 16 January 2023. Staff can access the full agendas and papers on the University website.
Industrial Action Update
Members of the UEC heard an update on the proposed industrial action and the institutional planning in this regard.
The UEC noted the Risk Register with regards to the specific risks associated with Education.
Aberdeen 2040: Implementation Plan for Education
Members of the UEC received and discussed a paper providing an update on the Aberdeen 2040 Implementation Plan for Education.
National Student Survey
Members of the UEC discussed updates in respect of the National Student Survey (NSS) regarding:
Dean for Educational Innovation Update
The Committee noted that an update on the activities on the Dean would follow by circulation.
Decolonising the Curriculum: Timelines and Approval Processes
Members of the Committee approved a paper on the work of the Decolonising the Curriculum Steering Group. Members of the Committee noted that the paper would be considered for approval at the February meeting of the Senate.
Results of the Race Equality Charter Student Survey
Members of the UEC received and discussed a paper on the results of the Race Equality Charter Student Survey.
Updates from the Student Support and Experience Committee
Members of the UEC discussed updates from the Student Support and Experience Committee in respect of:
Appeals, Complaints, and Academic Discipline 2021/22
Members of the UEC approved the papers on appeals, complaints, and academic discipline in respect of:
- Academic Appeals and Complaints 2021/22
- Academic Discipline 2021/22 (excel attachment)
Members of the Committee noted that the paper on Academic Appeals and Complaints 2021/22 would be progressed to the Senior Management Team for approval of the complaints data.
Aberdeen 2040: Graduate Attributes and Skills
Members of the UEC received a paper and presentation on the work of the Aberdeen 2040: Graduate Attributes and Skills Task and Finish Group.
Block Teaching Action Plan
Members of the UEC received and discussed a paper on the block teaching action plan.
Longitudinal Educational Outcomes (LEO) Data
Members of the UEC received and discussed a paper regarding the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes (LEO) data.
PTES and International Student Barometer
Members of the UEC received and discussed a paper on the proposed reinstatement of external student surveys. The Committee approved the recommendation that the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) be reinstated.
Postgraduate Taught Attainment Report 2022
Members of the Committee received and discussed a paper on postgraduate taught attainment within 2021/22.
Employability and Entrepreneurship Committee Remit and Composition
Members of the UEC approved an update to the Employability and Entrepreneurship Committee remit and composition.
Update Reports From The UEC Sub-Committees
Members of the UEC noted updates from the UEC Sub-Committees as follows:
Promotions Guidance: Framework for Criteria and Associated Guidance
Members of the Committee noted that the Framework for Criteria and Associated Guidance pertinent to the review of Promotions would be circulated among the Committee, following the continued ongoing work.
Any questions regarding the UEC digest should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Previous Digests
(To be reviewed annually at last meeting of committee cycle and proposed changes considered by Senate for approval)
To be responsible to the Senatus Academicus for the strategic oversight of:
- education matters relating to undergraduate, postgraduate taught and taught elements of postgraduate research;
- the wider student experience relating to matters impacting on student success;
- the development of approaches to educational innovation.
The UEC shall:
- be responsible for the oversight, development and monitoring of the University’s strategic approach to educational provision, its associated operational plan and risk register, and the alignment of these with School plans and with Aberdeen 2040 and its associated operational plans;
- comment on draft education policy where input sought by the Quality Assurance Committee and drive forward its implementation working in partnership with School Education Committees;
- highlight to the Quality Assurance Committee where policy related issues are identified requiring consideration;
- be responsible for the innovation and ongoing enhancement of the quality of educational provision and for ensuring the effective dissemination of good practice including oversight of the University’s engagement with the QAA Enhancement Themes;
- Through its committees, be responsible for the development of actions at institutional level, and in Schools, based on analysis of national and internal data (e.g. National Student Survey, non-continuation, Graduate Outcomes, degree classifications and awarding gaps);
- Ensure that Education and the wider student experience is delivered inclusively;
- Through the Centre for Academic Development (CAD), develop, review and promote professional staff development opportunities in regard to the delivery of education, including assessment and feedback;
- Through the Centre for Academic Development, inform the support required by Schools for the development of educational innovations;
- consider recommendations from the Employability and Entrepreneurship Committee (EEC) in regard to the quality of provision of careers education, employability and the co-curriculum;
- consider recommendations from the Student Support & Experience Committee (SSEC) in regard to the quality of the delivery of effective, appropriate and consistent student support and the wider student experience;
- be responsible for the oversight of teaching-related credit-bearing activity related to student mobility;
- engage in horizon scanning to anticipate and prepare for new opportunities and likely future developments in education and the wider student experience.
Each member of the committee will contribute to discussions and feedback on these to their respective areas for comment and further input. School leads ensure that they use their School Education Committees and other School forums to inform feedback into UEC and to raise matters relevant to UEC or for referral onto QAC as appropriate.
- Composition & Membership
Chair: Professor Ruth Taylor
Clerk: Emma Tough
Chair: Vice-Principal (Education)
- Student President of the Students’ Association (or nominee)
- Vice-President for Education of the Students’ Association
- School Directors of Education
- Dean for Student Support
- Dean for Educational Innovation
- Dean for Employability and Entrepreneurship
- Dean for Quality Assurance and Enhancement
- Dean for Postgraduate Research School
- Dean for the Qatar Campus
- Dean for International Student Pathways
- Dean for Widening Access, Articulation and Outreach
- Dean for Portfolio Development and Programme Promotion
- Two representatives nominated by Senate (2-year terms)
- QAA Enhancement Theme Lead
- Academic Representative of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity Committee
- Director of Academic Services and Online Education
- Head of Quality
- Academic Registrar
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (CAD)
- Head of the Careers and Employability Service
- Head of Student Support
- Head of the Language Centre
- Director of Digital and Information Services (or nominee)
- University Librarian
- School Administration Manager
- Students’ Association Staff Member
Chair (Vice-Principal, Education)
Student President of the Students’ Association (or nominee):
Vice-President for Education of the Students’ Association:
School Directors of Education:
School of Biological Sciences
School of Divinity, History, Philosophy and Art History
School of Education
School of Engineering
School of Geosciences
School of Language, Literature, Music and Visual Culture
School of Law
School of Psychology
School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition
School of Natural and Computing Sciences
School of Social Science
Representative nominated by the Senate:
Representative nominated by the Senate:
Dean for Student Support:
Dean for Educational Innovation:
Dean for Employability and Entrepreneurship:
Dean for Quality Assurance and Enhancement:
Dean of Postgraduate Research School:
Director of Studies (Qatar):
Dean for International Student Pathways:
Dean for Widening Access, Articulation and Outreach:
Dean for Portfolio Development and Programme Promotion:
Ann Michelle Slater
QAA Enhancement Theme Lead:
Academic Representative of the EDI Committee:
Director of Academic Services and Online Education:
Head of Quality tbc
Head of the Centre for Academic Development (CAD):
Head of the Careers and Employability Service
Head of Student Support
Head of the Language Centre
Director of Digital and Information Services (or nominee):
School Administration Manager:
Student Mobility Representative
Students’ Association Staff Member
Graeme Kirkpatrick/Scott Carle (shared role)
2022/23 2021/22Previous Attendance Records 2020-21