- Your Main Computer
There is one standard specification for Laptop computers - see current Standard laptop specification for details.
All computers to be used for University business should be purchased via DDIS. This ensures that at the end of their life:
- computers are appropriately disposed of
- data on them is securely disposed of
- the University is complying with data protection regulations, particularly GDPR.
Please email the Service Desk – firstname.lastname@example.org – for guidance before placing an order for a new computer. In your email, you should provide the following information:
- If the new computer is a replacement, please tell us the number – eg MD-051234 – of the existing computer
- Please tell us if the new computer is for a new member of staff/PhD student
- If the new computer is for a new member of staff/PhD student, are they being allocated a desk that already has a computer on it?
- If yes, please supply the number – eg MD-051234 – of the existing computer
The reason we ask you for this information is so that we can determine whether or not your new computer is to be funded by the University’s Technology Renewal Program (TRP). If it is, there will be no cost for a standard device. If you require additional specification on your device, there will be an additional cost.
Once you have submitted a purchase order for your new computer, we will install University standard software portfolio, including MS Office, email and calendaring, drivers for multi functional devices/printers, and anti-virus software. The software provided is the same across all departments and services. See University standard software installations for details.
Our team will then contact you to discuss any additional software and hardware requirements you may have and to arrange a suitable time for delivery and installation of your new computer. We will deliver it to your office on the agreed date, and unpack, connect and test it for you.
If your existing computer needs to be rebuilt - eg to reinstall or upgrade your operating system, or version of MS Office - please email the Service Desk - email@example.com.
Computer Replacement and Disposal
All main computers are usually replaced at the end of the machine’s warranty period - for guidance, see Technology Renewal Program (TRP). We will contact you when your computer is due to be replaced. We will uplift your old computer, remove files and arrange for disposal.
- Non-Standard Hardware
Main Computer (Staff and PGRs)
Your main computer is supplied via a central IT budget.
Non-Standard Desktop Computers
If you need advice and guidance, require a quote or wish to order a non-standard device, please complete the request process here.
Other Hardware/Hardware requiring network connectivity
.If you require hardware to support any other devices (e.g. scientific instruments), network connectivity or a server please complete the request process here.
This allows us to ensure that the hardware and device will work safely in the University IT environment.
Please also see the University’s Procurement Policy for guidance on purchasing. The Procurement Team will be able to help you with any related queries.
The University does not support the purchasing of personal resources.
- Additional network points and/or mains sockets
Need more network points or mains power outlets in your office?
- Complete our Data Circuit Request form at https://365abdn.sharepoint.com/projects/circuit-request
Please submit a separate request for each room.
- On submitting the form, you will receive an automated email, acknowledging receipt of your request.
- We’ll pass your request to our colleagues in Estates, and once we receive a quote from them, we’ll forward it to you for approval.
- If you approve the quote, you will need to arrange for your department to raise an internal purchase order to Estates for the work required. We will then contact you to arrange a suitable time for the work to be carried out.
See our quick guide for more!
- Office Moves
If you or your team are planning to move office, whether to a different room in the same building or to a different building altogether, don’t forget that your PC and phone extension will be moving with you and that both will need to be reconnected to the University network from your new location.
Here’s how you can help us make sure your move goes as smoothly as possible and with minimum disruption to your work.
PC/Phone Move Request process
- Complete our online PC/Phone Move Request Form - you will be prompted to login using your University username and password.
- Complete the form fields as appropriate, making sure you provide all the requested information.
- Submitting the completed form will automatically log a call with the IT Service Desk.
- You will received an automated response including a unique call reference number and summarising your request.
Based on the information you provide, we will contact you to confirm the move date and make sure you are reconnected that day.