- Your Main Computer
There is one standard specification for Desktop computers - see current Standard desktop specification for details.
All computers to be used for University business should be purchased via DDIS. This ensures that at the end of their life:
- computers are appropriately disposed of
- data on them is securely disposed of
- the University is complying with data protection regulations, particularly GDPR.
Please email the Service Desk – firstname.lastname@example.org – for guidance before placing an order for a new computer. In your email, you should provide the following information:
- If the new computer is a replacement, please tell us the number – eg CLSM-001234 – of the existing computer
- Please tell us if the new computer is for a new member of staff/PhD student
- If the new computer is for a new member of staff/PhD student, are they being allocated a desk that already has a computer on it?
- If yes, please supply the number – eg CLSM-001234 – of the existing computer
The reason we ask you for this information is so that we can determine whether or not your new computer is to be funded by the University’s Technology Renewal Program (TRP). If it is, there will be no cost for a standard device. If you require additional specification on your device, there will be an additional cost.
Once you have submitted a purchase order for your new computer, we will install University standard software portfolio, including MS Office, email and calendaring, drivers for multi functional devices/printers, and anti-virus software. The software provided is the same across all departments and services. See University standard software installations for details.
Our team will then contact you to discuss any additional software and hardware requirements you may have and to arrange a suitable time for delivery and installation of your new computer. We will deliver it to your office on the agreed date, and unpack, connect and test it for you.
If your existing computer needs to be rebuilt - eg to reinstall or upgrade your operating system, or version of MS Office - please email the Service Desk - email@example.com.
Computer Replacement and Disposal
All main computers, are usually replaced at the end of the machine’s warranty period (ie PCs and Macs every 4 years, laptops every 3 years). We will contact you when your computer is due to be replaced. We will uplift your old computer, remove files and arrange for disposal.
University laptop purchases are made within the framework of the National Desktop and Notebook Agreement (NDNA).
The three standard Windows laptop specifications we recommend are listed below:
- HP ProBook 640 G5 – Entry Level Option
- HP EliteBook 840 G6 – Standard Option
- HP Elite Dragonfly – Convertible 2-in-1 Option
As all three standard models listed above are built to order, the lead time for us receiving your laptop(s) from our supplier can be up to 20 business days. Once we receive your laptop(s) from our supplier, a member of our installations team will be in touch to arrange final configuration and delivery. For non-standard models, it is best to give as much notice as you can - 3 months or more if possible.
For further information or queries regarding orders and purchasing, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Non-Standard Hardware
Non-Standard Desktop Computers
Our hardware purchasing team can provide advice and guidance - email email@example.com.
Your main staff computer is supplied via a central IT budget – see above. If you require additional resources for work, you can purchase these though our IT Service Desk - contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require hardware to support any other devices (e.g. scientific instruments) or network connectivity, please contact the IT Service Desk (email@example.com) for support – prior to purchasing. This allows us to ensure that the hardware and device will work safely in the University IT environment. Please also see the University’s Procurement Policy for guidance on purchasing. The Procurement Team will be able to help you with any related queries.
The University does not support the purchasing of personal resources.
- Additional network points and/or mains sockets
Need more network points or mains power outlets in your office?
- Complete our Data Circuit Request form at https://365abdn.sharepoint.com/projects/circuit-request
Please submit a separate request for each room.
- On submitting the form, you will receive an automated email, acknowledging receipt of your request.
- We’ll pass your request to our colleagues in Estates, and once we receive a quote from them, we’ll forward it to you for approval.
- If you approve the quote, you will need to arrange for your department to raise an internal purchase order to Estates for the work required. We will then contact you to arrange a suitable time for the work to be carried out.
See our quick guide for more!
- Office Moves
If you or your team are planning to move office, whether to a different room in the same building or to a different building altogether, don’t forget that your PC and phone extension will be moving with you and that both will need to be reconnected to the University network from your new location.
Here’s how you can help us make sure your move goes as smoothly as possible and with minimum disruption to your work.
PC/Phone Move Request process
- Complete our online PC/Phone Move Request Form - you will be prompted to login using your University username and password.
- Complete the form fields as appropriate, making sure you provide all the requested information.
- Submitting the completed form will automatically log a call with the IT Service Desk.
- You will received an automated response including a unique call reference number and summarising your request.
Based on the information you provide, we will contact you to confirm the move date and make sure you are reconnected that day.