- Your Main Computer
The University has a contract with Hewlett Packard for the supply of standard Desktop PCs. There is one standard specification - see current HP standard PC specification for details.
PCs should be purchased from Hewlett Packard through IT Services.
Please email the Service Desk – firstname.lastname@example.org – for guidance before placing an order for a new computer. In your email, you should provide the following information:
- If the new PC is to replace an existing one, please tell us the number – eg CLSM-001234 – of the existing PC
- Please tell us if the new PC is for a new member of staff/PhD student
- If the new PC is for a new member of staff/PhD student, are they being allocated a desk that already has a PC on it?
- If yes, please supply the number – eg CLSM-001234 – of the existing PC
The reason we ask you for this information is so that we can determine whether or not your new PC is to be funded by the University’s Technology Renewal Program (TRP). If it is, there will be no cost to you.
Once you have submitted a purchase order for your new PC, we will install University standard software portfolio, including MS Office, email and calendaring, drivers for multi functional devices/printers, and anti-virus software. The software provided will depend upon your college or admin unit. See University standard software installations for details.
Our team will then contact you to discuss any additional software and hardware requirements you may have and to arrange a suitable time for delivery and installation of your new PC. We will deliver it to your office on the agreed date, and unpack, connect and test it for you.
If your existing PC needs to be rebuilt - eg to reinstall or upgrade your operating system, or version of MS Office - please email the Service Desk - email@example.com.
Computer Replacement and Disposal
All main computers, are usually replaced at the end of the machine’s warranty period (ie PCs and Macs every 4 years, laptops every 3 years). You will be contacted when your computer is due to be replaced. We will uplift your old PC, remove files and arrange for disposal.
- Departmental Laptops
University laptop purchases are made within the framework of the National Desktop and Notebook Agreement (NDNA).
Laptops are provided by HP - the 4 standard model specifications we recommend are listed below:
As all three standard models listed above are built to order, the lead time for us receiving your laptop(s) from HP can be up to 20 business days. Once we receive your laptop(s) from HP, a member of our installations team will be in touch to arrange final configuration and delivery. For non-standard models, it is best to give as much notice as you can - 3 months or more if possible.
For further information or queries regarding orders and purchasing, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Non-Standard Hardware
Non-Standard Desktop Computers
Our hardware purchasing team can provide advice and guidance - email email@example.com.
Your main staff computer is supplied via a central IT budget – see above. If you require additional resources for work, you can purchase these though our IT Service Desk - contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require hardware to support any other devices (e.g. scientific instruments) or network connectivity, please contact the IT Service Desk (email@example.com) for support – prior to purchasing. This allows us to ensure that the hardware and device will work safely in the University IT environment. Please also see the University’s Procurement Policy for guidance on purchasing. The Procurement Team will be able to help you with any related queries.
The University does not support the purchasing of personal resources.
- Office Moves
If you or your team are planning to move office, whether to a different room in the same building or to a different building altogether, don’t forget that your PC and phone extension will be moving with you and that both will need to be reconnected to the University network from your new location.
Here’s how you can help us make sure your move goes as smoothly as possible and with minimum disruption to your work.
Note: The person or team requesting the office move should let us know as soon as possible before your move date:
- if 1-3 people are moving, we require 3-5 working days’ notice
- if more than 3 people are moving, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements in detail
Office Move Request process
- Log a call with the Service Desk by logging into MyIT self-service at https://myit.abdn.ac.uk/
- From the top left of the screen, click on the link PC/Phone Move Request.
- Complete the steps as prompted to download the Office Move template (excel spreadsheet).
- Fill in the template, making sure you provide all the requested information for each person who will be moving office.
- State your move date/time - based on the periods of notice listed above.
- Submit your request, not forgetting to attach the completed Office Move template.
Based on the information you provide, we will contact you to confirm the move date and make sure you are reconnected that day.