A meeting of the Quality Assurance Committee will be held on Wednesday 6 March 2019 at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2, University Office
Miss Emma Hay, Acting Assistant Registrar
(ext. 3610 or email@example.com)
1. Approval of the minute of the meeting held on 28 January 2019 (QAC/060319/001) 2. Matters Arising (Oral Item) 3. Assessment and Feedback a) Weighting of Honours Years (QAC/060319/002) Members of the Committee are asked to discuss and approve the paper, regarding the weighting of years 3, 4 (and 5, where applicable) in degree classification. b) Borderlines (QAC/060319/003) The Committee is asked to discuss and approve the paper and the evidence presented with a view to deciding on i) the extent of the borderline band in degree classification and ii) what criteria Examiners’ Meetings should consider when determining the final classification of borderline students. c) Rounding Up of Course Grades (QAC/060319/004) Members of the Committee are asked to discuss and approve the paper considering the ramifications of the rounding up of grades when awarding alphanumeric grades for courses. 4. Curriculum Management (CM) Submissions Members of the Committee are invited to discuss the submissions made within the Curriculum Management System (CMS) for 2019/20. Members are reminded that the deadline for the completion of the consideration and, if appropriate, approval of submissions is Friday 15 March 2019. 5. Date of Next Meeting The next meeting of the Committee will be held on Thursday 16 May 2018 at 2pm, in the Court Room, University Office. 6. Items for Information– see below
Any member of the Committee wishing an item for routine approval or for information to be brought forward for discussion may ask at the meeting for that to be done. Any such item will be taken after item 1.
Declaration of interests: Any member and individual in attendance (including Officers) who has a clear interest in a matter on the agenda should declare that interest at the relevant meeting, whether or not that interest is already recorded in the Registry of Member’s interests.
6. FOR INFORMATION
6.1 Course and Programme Proposals A list of all Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses and programmes approved since the November 2018 meeting of the Quality Assurance Committee can be found on the Curriculum Management System (CMS). 6.2 Recommendations of the Enhancement-Led Institutional Review (ELIR) Panel Members of the Committee are asked to note the draft ELIR Outcome Report, attached as QAC/060319/005a, and the draft Technical Report, attached as QAC/060319/005b.
- Previous Agendas
Specifically, the Quality Assurance Committee shall:
- In consultation with School Teaching & Learning Committees, and the Graduate School (PGR) as appropriate, review proposals for (a) the introduction of new courses and programmes of study (b) amendments to existing courses and programmes, and (c) the withdrawal of existing courses and programmes, and make appropriate recommendations;
- Recommend to the University Committee on Teaching and Learning (UCTL) changes in the General and Supplementary Regulations;
- Oversee the quality control of taught courses and programmes through scrutiny of reports from the Annual Course Review (ACR) Exercise, Annual Programme Review (APR) Exercise, External Examiner Reports, Internal Teaching Review Reports and Reports from Professional & Statutory Bodies, as applicable; and refer policy issues to the University Committee on Teaching and Learning, as appropriate;
- Be responsible, on behalf of the UCTL, for co-ordinating a regular programme of Internal Teaching Reviews for monitoring and reviewing courses and programmes of study and consider and recommend to UCTL revisions to the procedures for Internal Teaching Review, as necessary;
- Be responsible, on behalf of the UCTL, for regularly reviewing alignment of University policies with the QAA Quality Code, the wider Academic Infrastructure and external reference points and for recommending revisions to policies, as appropriate;
- Monitor the quality of provision provided by collaborative partners through the scrutiny of annual reports and recommend to UCTL revisions to the procedures for the approval and oversight of collaborative provision, as necessary;
- Elect 4 members to serve on Senate, ex officio, as required;
- Oversee issues relating to student progress, including the establishment of Student Progress Committees and Fitness to Practise Committees, as appropriate, and make recommendations to the Senate for the discontinuation of attendance, as appropriate; and
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL.
- Composition & Membership
Convener: Professor Kath Shennan
Clerk: Miss Emma Hay
Tel: 01224 273610
Convener and Administrative Support Area:
- Convener: A senior member of academic staff
- Clerk: Student & Academic Services
- A Strategy and Policy Committee to assurance of quality and maintenance of standards across all undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate taught elements of research provision.
- One nominee from each School on the recommendation of the Head of School
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students’ Association
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
Membership for 2018/19
- Professor K Shennan (Convener)
- Professor M Pinard
- Dr M Ehrenschwendtner
- Mrs M Freeman
- Dr P Davidson
- Dr M Hole
- Dr T Rist
- Mr D Auchie
- Professor D Lurie
- Dr J Morse
- Dr W Harrison
- Dr J Bohan
- Dr T Argounova-Low
- Professor P McGeorge
- Mr L Ogubie (AUSA Rep)
- Miss D Connolly (AUSA Rep)
- Ms K Christie
- Dr D Comber
- Clerk: Miss E Hay (Registry)
The Committee will meet at least five times per year preceding each meeting of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Meetings between 10am – 4pm in accordance with University Policy.
Each member of the Quality Assurance Committee shall have extensive delegated authority to undertake the following duties on behalf of the Quality Assurance Committee:-
- To serve as members of the Quality Assurance Committee (QAC), and play an institutional role in matters relating to the quality assurance of learning and teaching.
- To represent views of the Quality Assurance Committee on the Senate, ex officio, if appointed as one of the committee’s representatives on Senate.
- To review, as delegated by the Quality Assurance Committee (QAC) proposals for (a) the introduction of new courses and programmes of study, (b) amendments to existing courses and programmes and (c) the withdrawal of existing course and programmes, and make appropriate recommendations to the QAC;
- To draft, as delegated by QAC, the Committee’s responses to the School reports on the Annual Course and Programme Review;
- To review, as delegated by QAC, the reports of External Examiners for taught courses;
- To scrutinise and approve the appointment of examiners for research degrees on the nomination of Heads of School;
- To consider the reports of examiners for research degrees;
- To approve degree results in light of examiners’ reports and recommending to the Senate the conferral of research awards as appropriate;
- To serve as members of Internal Teaching Review Panels as required;
- To undertake such other functions as QAC may determine.
Quality Assurance Committee
12 September 2018
7 November 2018
28 January 2019
6 March 2019
16 May 2019
Dean of Quality Enhancement and Assurance
Professor Kath Shennan Present Present Present Present Present School Representative (Biological Sciences) Professor Michelle Pinard Present Apologies Present Present Present School Representative (Business School) Dr John Lamb Present Present Apologies Present Present School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Dr Marie-Luise Ehrenschwendtner Present Present Present Apologies Present School Representative (Education) Mrs Mhairi Freeman Present Present Apologies Present Apologies School Representative (Engineering)
Dr Paul Davidson
Present Present Apologies Apologies Apologies School Representative (Geosciences) Dr Malcolm Hole Present Present Apologies Present Present School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Dr Tom Rist Present Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies School Representative (Law) Mr Derek Auchie Present Present Present Present Apologies School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Professor David Lurie Apologies Present Present Present Apologies School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Dr Jerry Morse Apologies Present Present Apologies Present School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) Dr William Harrison Present Present Present Present Present School Representative (Psychology)
Dr Jason Bohan
Present Apologies Present Present Present School Representative (Social Sciences)
Dr Tatiana Argounova-Low
Apologies Present Apologies Present Apologies Vice-Principal (Learning & Teaching) Professor Peter McGeorge Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies President of the Students' Association Mr Lawson Ogubie Present Present Present Present Present Education Officer (Students' Association) Mrs Donna Connelly Apologies Apologies Apologies Apologies Present
Deputy Academic Registrar (Academic Affairs) Ms Katja Christie Present Present Apologies Apologies Apologies Senior Educational Development Officer (Centre for Academic Development) Dr Darren Comber Apologies Apologies Apologies Present Present Clerk (Acting Assistant Registrar) Miss Emma Hay Present Present Present Apologies Present Minute Secretary Mr Matt Fullerton Present Present Present Present Present
Staff login required to open these documents.
2018/19 2017/18 2016/17 2015/16 2014/15 2013/14 2012/13 2011/12 2010/11