A meeting of the Quality Assurance Committee will be held on Monday 3 February 2020 at 2.00 pm in Committee Room 2, University Office
Mrs Morag Macrae, Administrative Officer
(ext. 4075 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Approval of the minute of the meeting held on 11 December 2019 (QAC/030220/001) 2. Matters Arising (Oral Item) 3. Postgraduate Annual Programme Reviews (APRs) and External Examiners Reports (EERs) (Oral item) Members of the Committee are invited to undertake the consideration of postgraduate APRs and EERs, uploaded to SharePoint by Schools. Following the meeting, feedback will be issued to Schools and External Examiners, as appropriate. Members are reminded that the deadline for the return of all feedback is Friday 31 January 2020. 4. Curriculum Management 2019/20 (Oral item) Members of the Committee are invited to discuss the process for approval of course/programme changes during the 2019/20 academic year. 5. Assessment Practices (Oral item) Members of the Committee are invited to discuss the assessment practices routinely used within their Schools, with particular attention given to open-book online assessments. 6. Internal Teaching Review Report for School of Engineering (QAC/030220/002) Members of the Committee are invited to consider and provide a response to the report on the recent Internal Teaching Review of the School of Engineering. 7. Date of Next Meeting The next meeting of the Committee will be held on Monday 30 March 2020 at 2pm, in Committee Room 2, University Office. 8. Items for Information– see below
Any member of the Committee wishing an item for routine approval or for information to be brought forward for discussion may ask at the meeting for that to be done. Any such item will be taken after item 1.
Declaration of interests: Any member and individual in attendance (including Officers) who has a clear interest in a matter on the agenda should declare that interest at the relevant meeting, whether or not that interest is already recorded in the Registry of Member’s interests.
8. FOR INFORMATION
8. MSc Special Care Dentistry Grade Conversion (QAC/030220/003) Members of the Committee are invited to note the grade conversion scheme for the MSc in Special Care Dentistry which was approved by Convener’s action.
FOR DISCUSSION & APPROVAL
9. Penalties for Late Submission of Work (QAC/030220/004) The Committee is invited to discuss and approve the recommendations for the penalty to be applied for late submission of coursework in the absence of any mitigating circumstances. 10. Progression in Flexible PGT Programmes (QAC/030220/005) The Committee is asked to discuss and approve the recommendation from the Postgraduate Committee (Taught).
- Previous Agendas
Specifically, the Quality Assurance Committee shall:
- In consultation with School Teaching & Learning Committees, and the Graduate School (PGR) as appropriate, review proposals for (a) the introduction of new courses and programmes of study (b) amendments to existing courses and programmes, and (c) the withdrawal of existing courses and programmes, and make appropriate recommendations;
- Recommend to the University Committee on Teaching and Learning (UCTL) changes in the General and Supplementary Regulations;
- Oversee the quality control of taught courses and programmes through scrutiny of reports from the Annual Course Review (ACR) Exercise, Annual Programme Review (APR) Exercise, External Examiner Reports, Internal Teaching Review Reports and Reports from Professional & Statutory Bodies, as applicable; and refer policy issues to the University Committee on Teaching and Learning, as appropriate;
- Be responsible, on behalf of the UCTL, for co-ordinating a regular programme of Internal Teaching Reviews for monitoring and reviewing courses and programmes of study and consider and recommend to UCTL revisions to the procedures for Internal Teaching Review, as necessary;
- Be responsible, on behalf of the UCTL, for regularly reviewing alignment of University policies with the QAA Quality Code, the wider Academic Infrastructure and external reference points and for recommending revisions to policies, as appropriate;
- Monitor the quality of provision provided by collaborative partners through the scrutiny of annual reports and recommend to UCTL revisions to the procedures for the approval and oversight of collaborative provision, as necessary;
- Elect 4 members to serve on Senate, ex officio, as required;
- Oversee issues relating to student progress, including the establishment of Student Progress Committees and Fitness to Practise Committees, as appropriate, and make recommendations to the Senate for the discontinuation of attendance, as appropriate; and
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL.
- Composition & Membership
Chair: Kath Shennan
Clerk: Morag Macrae
Tel: 01224 274075
Convener and Administrative Support Area:
- Chair: A senior member of academic staff
- Clerk: Student & Academic Services
- A Strategy and Policy Committee to assurance of quality and maintenance of standards across all undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate taught elements of research provision.
- At least one nominee from each School on the recommendation of the Head of School
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students’ Association
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
Membership for 2019/20
- Kath Shennan (Chair)
- Ruth Taylor
- Michelle Pinard
- John Lamb
- Marie-Luise Ehrenschwendtner
- Mhairi Freeman
- Oleksandr Menshykov
- Malcolm Hole
- Tim Baker
- Tom Rist
- Jonathan Fitchen
- Isobel Crane
- Jerry Morse
- Wiliam Harrison
- Jason Bohan
- Tania Argounova-Low
- Cecelia Wallback (AUSA Rep)
- Dariya Koleva (AUSA Rep)
- Emma Hay
- Darren Comber
- Clerk: Morag Macrae (Registry)
The Committee will meet at least five times per year preceding each meeting of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Meetings between 10am – 4pm in accordance with University Policy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Attend the annual meeting of QAC with their home School.
QAC composition and areas of responsibility (as at July 2019)
School School QAC member QAC member overseeing School
Divinity, History, Philosophy (DHP)
Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition (MMSN)
Natural and Computing Science (NCS)
Language, Literature, Music and Visual Culture (LLMVC)
Quality Assurance Committee
23 October 2019
11 December 2019
3 February 2020
24 March 2020
Chair and Dean of Quality Enhancement and Assurance
Kath Shennan Present Present Present School Representative (Biological Sciences) Michelle Pinard Present Present Present School Representative (Business School) John Lamb Present Apologies Present School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Marie-Luise Ehrenschwendtner Present Apologies Present School Representative (Education) Mhairi Freeman Apologies Present Apologies School Representative (Engineering)
Apologies Apologies Apologies School Representative (Geosciences) Malcolm Hole Present Present Apologies School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture)
Tim Baker from February 2020
Present Present Present School Representative (Law) Derek Auchie Apologies Present Apologies School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Isobel Crane - - Present School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Jerry Morse Present Present Present School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) William Harrison Present Present Present School Representative (Psychology)
Apologies Present Present School Representative (Social Sciences)
Present Present Apologies Vice-Principal (Learning & Teaching)
Ruth Taylor from November 2019
Apologies Apologies Apologies President of the Students' Association Celia Wallback Apologies Apologies Ondrej Kucerak attended Education Officer (Students' Association) Dariya Koleva Present Present Present
Senior Educational Development Officer (Centre for Academic Development) Darren Comber Present Apologies Present Clerk (Administrative Officer) Morag MacRae Present Present Present Minute Secretary Matt Fullerton Apologies - - - Academic Services Craig Stewart Present - - -
Staff login required to open these documents.
2019/20 2018/19 2017/18 2016/17 2015/16 2014/15 2013/14 2012/13 2011/12 2010/11