A meeting of the Quality Assurance Committee will be held on 13 December 2023 at 2:05pm in Court Room, University Officer and also via Microsoft Teams
Mr Liam Dyker, Administrative Officer
Clerk to the Quality Assurance Committee
1. Approval of the Minute of the held on 4 October 2023 (QAC/131223/001) 2. Matters Arising (QAC/131223/002) 3. QAA Institutional-Liaison Meeting Documentation (QAC/131223/003: FOR APPROVAL) 4. Education Data (i) Appeals and Complaints Data 2022/23 (QAC/131223/004: FOR DISCUSSION) (ii) Academic Discipline Data 2022/23 (QAC/131223/005: FOR DISCUSSION) (iii) Education Data Reporting Schedule (QAC/131223/006: FOR INFORMATION) 5. Institutional Register of Staff Acting as External Examiners (QAC/131223/007: FOR APPROVAL) 6. Update on UK Quality Code Development (Oral Item) 7. Partnerships and Collaborative Provision (i) South China Normal University Joint Institute Update (QAC/131223/008: FOR DISCUSSION) 8. Date of Next Meeting The next meeting of the Committee will be held on 27 February 2024 at 14:05 via Microsoft Teams and TBC (in-person) 12. Items for Routine Approval – see below 13. Items for Information – see below
FOR ROUTINE APPROVAL
9.1 Term Dates for Academic Year 2024/25 (QAC/131223/009: FOR APPROVAL) 9.2 QAA Quality Code Mapping Section 4: Course Design and Development (QAC/131223/010: FOR APPROVAL) Section 8: Monitoring and Evaluation (QAC/131223/011: FOR APPROVAL)
10.1 Updates from Sub-Committees or Reporting Committees (i) Academic Policy and Regulations Group (APRG) (QAC/131223/012) (ii) Students’ Progress Committee (SPC) (QAC/131223/013) 10.2 External Quality Reference Points (i) Funding Plan for QAA Scotland (QAC/131223/014) (ii) LTEP Projects (Oral Item)
- Previous Agendas
2023/24 2022/23 2021/22 2020/21
- Current Digest
Quality Assurance Committee (QAC) Digest
This digest provides a short summary of the outcome of the meeting of the Quality Assurance Committee held on 13 December 2023. Staff can access the full agendas and papers on the University website.
QAA Institutional Liaison Meeting
The Committee heard a summary of progress in relation to the Institutional Liaison Meeting, which is due to take place with the Quality Assurance Agency for Scotland in January 2024.
(i) Appeals and Complaints Data 2022/23
(ii) Academic Discipline Data 2022/23
The Committee heard a summary of progress in relation to the appeals, complaints and academic discipline data, which would follow to a future QAC meeting for discussion.
(iii) Education Data Reporting Schedule
The Committee noted a paper providing the schedule of data reporting for Education committees.
Institutional Register of Staff Acting as External Examiners
The Committee approved, subject to amendment, proposals to create a central register of University staff who are acting as External Examiners at other institutions, with the aim to avoid reciprocal arrangements.
Update on UK Quality Code Development
The Committee heard an update on the UK Quality Code Development, noting the ongoing consultation. Input was sought from QAC members for an institutional response to the consultation.
Partnerships and Collaborative Provision: South China Normal University Joint Institute Update
The Committee discussed a paper providing an update on various matters pertinent to the Joint Institute at South China Normal University.
Term Dates for Academic Year 2024/25
The Committee approved a paper outlining term dates for academic year 2024/25.
QAA Quality Code Mapping
Updates from Sub-Committees or Groups
External Quality Reference Points
The Committee noted the updates provided in respect of (i) the funding plan for QAA Scotland, and (ii) the Learning and Teaching Enhancement Programme projects.
Any questions regarding the Quality Assurance Committee digest should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Previous Digest
(To be reviewed annually at last meeting of committee cycle with proposed changes to be considered by Senate)
To be responsible to the Senatus Academicus for the strategic oversight of:
- the quality assurance of undergraduate, postgraduate taught and taught elements of postgraduate research provision;
- the development of policies and practices for the assurance of the quality of the University’s education provisions, particularly in relation to the design, implementation, evaluation and review of mechanisms for the quality assurance and quality enhancement of education provision;
- the safeguarding of academic standards.
The Quality Assurance Committee shall:
- In consultation with School Education Committees, and the Graduate School (PGR) as appropriate, review proposals for (a) the introduction of new courses and programmes of study (b) amendments to existing courses and programmes, and (c) the withdrawal of existing courses and programmes, and make appropriate recommendations;
- Approve changes to the Regulations for Certificates and Diplomas and to General and Supplementary Regulations for Degrees in advance of their incorporation into a formal draft Resolution for consideration by Senate;
- Oversee the quality assurance of taught courses and programmes through scrutiny of reports from the Annual Course Review (ACR) Exercise, Annual Programme Review (APR) Exercise, External Examiner Reports, Internal Teaching Review Reports and Reports from Professional, Statutory & Regulatory Bodies, as applicable; and address any policy issues that arise, as appropriate;
- Be responsible for co-ordinating a regular programme of Internal Teaching Reviews for monitoring and reviewing courses and programmes of study and consider and recommend to Senate revisions to the procedures for Internal Teaching Review, as necessary;
- Be responsible, on behalf of Senate, for the oversight of the University’s engagement with the work of the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), including Enhancement-led Institutional Review (ELIR);
- Informed by the work of the Academic Policy and Regulations Group, have oversight of the development, implementation and regular review of University policy relating to educational provision in regard to undergraduate, postgraduate taught and taught elements of postgraduate research provision ensuring their alignment to the QAA Quality Code, the wider Academic Infrastructure, legal compliance (e.g. equality, diversity and inclusion) and other relevant external reference points, seeking input from the University Education Committee, as appropriate, prior to recommending new policies or revisions to Senate for approval;
- Ensure that collaborative partnership agreements meet University quality assurance requirements and monitor the quality of provision provided by collaborative partners through the scrutiny of annual reports and recommend to Senate revisions to the procedures for the approval and oversight of collaborative provision, as necessary;
- In partnership with Aberdeen University Students’ Association, ensure effective student engagement and representation of student voices in the University’s quality framework;
- Monitor the quality of work-based learning provision and study abroad opportunities;
- Appoint from its membership, four members to serve on Senate, ex officio, as required;
- Oversee issues relating to student progress, including the establishment of Student Progress Committees and Fitness to Practise Committees, as appropriate, and make recommendations to the Senate for the discontinuation of attendance, as appropriate;
- Ensure regular review of academic appeals, complaints and academic discipline to identify any trends or issues which require to be addressed;
- Review annual reports from the Students’ Progress Committee;
- Act on behalf of Senate, after consultation with Heads of School to: a. approve dates of terms; b. approve deadline for refusal of class certificates; c. approve deadlines for return of examination results; d. approve arrangements for graduation ceremonies; e. approve changes to minimum entry requirements.
- Work closely with the University Education Committee and its sub-committees in regard to any matters for which there are quality assurance implications;
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by Senate.
Each member will ensure that they consult with their own School, through their School Education Committee and other forums, on relevant matters, and provide feedback into QAC which represents the views of their School. Each School member of the Quality Assurance Committee shall have delegated authority to have oversight, on behalf of the Quality Assurance Committee, for their area of responsibility.
- Composition & Membership
Chair: Professor Steven Tucker
Clerk: Liam Dyker
Chair: Dean for Quality Assurance and Enhancement
- Head of Quality
- Dean for Educational Innovation
- School QA Representative (who should be a member of the School Education Committee)
- Representative from AFG
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students’ Association
- Two representatives nominated by Senate (2 year term)
- Director of Academic Services & Online Education (or nominee);
- School Administration Manager
- Graduate School Manager (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
- Staff Representative of the Students' Association
Membership Chair and Dean for Quality Assurance and Enhancement Steve Tucker Head of Quality tbc Dean for Educational Innovation Kirsty Kiezebrink Representative from AFG Nadia DeGama Rhiannon Ledwell Student Representative, AUSA Sanaa Al-Azawi Senate Representative Fiona Stoddard Senate Representative Laura McCann School QA Representative Gareth Norton Selma Carson Divinity, History, Philosophy & Art History Isa Ehrenschwendtner Education Faye Hendry Engineering Thanga Thevar Geosciences Colin North Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture Will Barras Law (1st Half-Session)
Qiang (John) Cai
Law (2nd Half Session) Gloria Alvarez Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition Isabel Crane Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition Lois Gall Natural & Computing Sciences Mark Grant Jacqui Hutchison Jo Vergunst
Director of Academic Services & Online Education (or nominee) Gillian Mackintosh School Admin Manager Ann Simpson Graduate School Manager (or nominee) Lucy Leiper Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee) Darren Comber Staff Representative of the Students' Association Scott Carle Clerk Liam Dyker QAC Responsibilities School QAC Member Responsible for: Biological Sciences Gareth Norton Geosciences Business Selma Carson Natural & Computing Sciences Divinity, History, Philosophy & Art History Isa Ehrenschwendtner Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture Education Faye Hendry Social Science Engineering Thanga Thevar Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition Geosciences Colin North Law Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture Will Barras Divinity, History, Philosophy & Art History Law Gloria Alvarez Education Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition Isabel Crane Engineering Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition Lois Gall Business Natural & Computing Sciences Mark Grant Biological Sciences and Psychology Psychology Jacqui Hutchison Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition Social Science Jo Vergunst Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture
Quality Assurance Committee
Staff login required to open these documents.
DRAFT MINUTES - NOT APPROVED 2022/23 2021/22
- Further Resources