A meeting of the Quality Assurance Committee will be held on Thursday 16 May 2019 2019 at 2.00 pm in Court Room, University Office
Miss Emma Hay, Acting Assistant Registrar
(ext. 3610 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Approval of the minute of the meeting held on 6 March 2019 (QAC/160519/001) 2. Matters Arising (Oral Item) 3. Annual Course Review (ACR) First Half Session 2018/19 (Oral Item) Members of the Committee are asked to discuss the sampling of Annual Course Review submissions for the First Half Session of 2018/19. 4. Internal Teaching Review (ITR) of the School of Biological Sciences (QAC/160519/002a) Members of the Committee are asked to consider and provide a response to the report prepared by the Internal Tecahing Review (ITR) panel following the ITR of the School of Biological Sciences. (QAC/160519/002b) 5. Collaborative Provision (i) Annual Report from the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) (QAC/160519/003a) (ii) Annual Report from Trinity College-Bristol Baptist College (QAC/160519/003b) Members of the Committee are asked to review and provide a response to, the annual reports provided by the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) and Trinity College-Bristol Baptist College. 6. Forward Planning 2019/20 Members of the Committee are invited to discuss items to be included on agendas in the forthcoming 2019/20 academic year. 7. Date of Next Meeting The next meeting of the Committee will be held on Wednesday 23 October 2019 at 2pm, in Committee Room 2, University Office. 8. Items for Information– see below
Any member of the Committee wishing an item for routine approval or for information to be brought forward for discussion may ask at the meeting for that to be done. Any such item will be taken after item 1.
Declaration of interests: Any member and individual in attendance (including Officers) who has a clear interest in a matter on the agenda should declare that interest at the relevant meeting, whether or not that interest is already recorded in the Registry of Member’s interests.
8. FOR INFORMATION
8.1 Course and Programme Proposals A list of all Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses and programmes approved since the November 2018 meeting of the Quality Assurance Committee can be found on the Curriculum Management System (CMS). 8.2 Assessment and Feedback (QAC/160519/004a) Members of the Committee are invited to note the papers on (i) the weighting of years 3, 4 (and 5, where applicable) and (ii) updates to the Code of Practice on Assessment for academic years 2018/19 and 2019/20 in degree classification, as approved by the Committee by way of circulation and as to be considered by the Senate at their meeting on 15 May 2019. (QAC/160519/004b) 8.3 Review of the Student Course Evaluation Process (QAC/160519/005) Members of the Committee are invited to note the paper from the Student Course Evaluation Form (SCEF) Working Group and its proposals with regards to the SCEF and the wider Student Course Evaluation process, as approved by the Committee by way of circulation and as to be considered by the Senate at their meeting on 15 May 2019. 8.4 Code of Practice on Student Discipline (Academic) (QAC/160519/006) Members of the Committee are invited to note the revised Code of Practice on Student Discipline (Academic) as approved by the Committee by way of circulation and as to be considered by the Senate at their meeting on 15 May 2019.
- Previous Agendas
Specifically, the Quality Assurance Committee shall:
- In consultation with School Teaching & Learning Committees, and the Graduate School (PGR) as appropriate, review proposals for (a) the introduction of new courses and programmes of study (b) amendments to existing courses and programmes, and (c) the withdrawal of existing courses and programmes, and make appropriate recommendations;
- Recommend to the University Committee on Teaching and Learning (UCTL) changes in the General and Supplementary Regulations;
- Oversee the quality control of taught courses and programmes through scrutiny of reports from the Annual Course Review (ACR) Exercise, Annual Programme Review (APR) Exercise, External Examiner Reports, Internal Teaching Review Reports and Reports from Professional & Statutory Bodies, as applicable; and refer policy issues to the University Committee on Teaching and Learning, as appropriate;
- Be responsible, on behalf of the UCTL, for co-ordinating a regular programme of Internal Teaching Reviews for monitoring and reviewing courses and programmes of study and consider and recommend to UCTL revisions to the procedures for Internal Teaching Review, as necessary;
- Be responsible, on behalf of the UCTL, for regularly reviewing alignment of University policies with the QAA Quality Code, the wider Academic Infrastructure and external reference points and for recommending revisions to policies, as appropriate;
- Monitor the quality of provision provided by collaborative partners through the scrutiny of annual reports and recommend to UCTL revisions to the procedures for the approval and oversight of collaborative provision, as necessary;
- Elect 4 members to serve on Senate, ex officio, as required;
- Oversee issues relating to student progress, including the establishment of Student Progress Committees and Fitness to Practise Committees, as appropriate, and make recommendations to the Senate for the discontinuation of attendance, as appropriate; and
- Undertake such other functions as may be referred to the Committee by the UCTL.
- Composition & Membership
Chair: Kath Shennan
Clerk: Emma Hay
Tel: 01224 273610
Convener and Administrative Support Area:
- Chair: A senior member of academic staff
- Clerk: Student & Academic Services
- A Strategy and Policy Committee to assurance of quality and maintenance of standards across all undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate taught elements of research provision.
- At least one nominee from each School on the recommendation of the Head of School
- Two representatives nominated by the President of the Students’ Association
- Director of Academic Affairs (or nominee)
- Head of the Centre for Academic Development (or nominee)
Membership for 2018/19
- Kath Shennan (Chair)
- Michelle Pinard
- Marie-Luise Ehrenschwendtner
- Mhairi Freeman
- Paul Davidson
- Malcolm Hole
- Thomas Rist
- Derek Auchie
- David Lurie
- Jerry Morse
- Wiliam Harrison
- Jason Bohan
- Tania Argounova-Low
- Peter McGeorge
- Lawson Ogubie (AUSA Rep)
- Donna Connolly (AUSA Rep)
- Katja Christie
- Darren Comber
- Clerk: Emma Hay (Registry)
The Committee will meet at least five times per year preceding each meeting of the UCTL. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required. Additional meetings may be arranged, as required.
Meetings between 10am – 4pm in accordance with University Policy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Attend the annual meeting of QAC with their home School.
QAC composition and areas of responsibility (as at July 2019)
School School QAC member QAC member overseeing School
Divinity, History, Philosophy (DHP)
Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition (MMSN)
Natural and Computing Science (NCS)
Language, Literature, Music and Visual Culture (LLMVC)
Quality Assurance Committee
23 October 2019
11 December 2019
3 February 2020
24 March 2020
Chair and Dean of Quality Enhancement and Assurance
Kath Shennan School Representative (Biological Sciences) Michelle Pinard School Representative (Business School) John Lamb School Representative (Divinity, History & Philosophy) Marie-Luise Ehrenschwendtner School Representative (Education) Mhairi Freeman School Representative (Engineering)
School Representative (Geosciences) Malcolm Hole School Representative (Language, Literature, Music & Visual Culture) Tom Rist School Representative (Law) Derek Auchie School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) David Lurie School Representative (Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition) Jerry Morse School Representative (Natural & Computing Sciences) William Harrison School Representative (Psychology)
School Representative (Social Sciences)
Vice-Principal (Learning & Teaching) Peter McGeorge President of the Students' Association Vacant Education Officer (Students' Association) Vacant
Deputy Academic Registrar (Academic Affairs) Katja Christie Senior Educational Development Officer (Centre for Academic Development) Darren Comber Clerk (Acting Assistant Registrar) Emma Hay Minute Secretary Matt Fullerton
Staff login required to open these documents.
2018/19 2017/18 2016/17 2015/16 2014/15 2013/14 2012/13 2011/12 2010/11