Everyone's talking about Teams. But what exactly is it and what can it do?
What is Teams?
Teams is Microsoft’s unified communication and collaboration platform that combines workplace messaging, video meetings, file sharing and storage, and app integration.
Why should I use it?
It enables internal and remote collaboration and can facilitate staff working from home. Work on the device of your choice, anywhere, anytime. All you need is an internet connection.
Teams integrates with our Office 365 subscription, allowing you to collaborate on Word, PowerPoint and Excel files with colleagues in real time, in the cloud.
Does everyone have access to Teams?
All staff have Teams on their University desktop or laptop and can install it on personal devices, mobile phones and tablets.
Students do not have MS Teams yet, but will be enabled for academic year 2020/21. However, you can invite students to a Teams meeting which they can join via a link in the meeting invite.
Currently the University of Aberdeen does not provide external access to Teams. Team members must be on the abdn domain. However, you can invite external colleagues to Teams meetings.
Want to find out more?
Come to one of our Open Sessions!
Places are limited to please register your interest via the Course Booking System by clicking on your preferred date/location:
- 18 March: 10:00-11:00, Old Aberdeen
- 19 March: 10:00-11:00, Foresterhill
- 20 March: 10:00-11:00, Foresterhill
- 23 March: 10:00-11:00, Old Aberdeen
Video tutorials, user guides, and free, online ‘on demand’ training
- Microsoft Interactive Demo: Guided tour and the opportunity to try out real actions
- Microsoft End user training: Introductory video, quick start guide, links to training videos, and more!
- Microsoft Instructor-led training: Links to free, live, online training sessions from Microsoft
- University of Aberdeen Toolkit resource: Quick start guides, including: How to access Teams, Setting up a Team, and Scheduling and Attending Teams meetings - with more titles to follow.
Author: Digital and Information Services