The University will host a series of focus groups with a range of stakeholders to seek views on the operation of the Senate this month.
The Scottish Code of Good HE Governance sets out an expectation that effectiveness reviews of the Senate are conducted on a regular basis.
The Senate is the University’s primary academic body and has a role to regulate and superintend the teaching and discipline of the university and to promote research. The Senate membership includes a significant elected membership drawn from academic and research staff within Schools who serve on Senate to represent the views of their School.
This review will seek to:
• explore how to enhance the engagement of Senate in debating issues and developing policy in regard to teaching, learning and research;
• consider the composition of Senate and the timing and frequency of meetings;
• explore the effectiveness of Senate’s communication with the University community;
• review the linkage between the Senate and the Court, via the role of the Senate Assessors, and with its sub-committees; and,
• consider the effectiveness of the role of Senators (both staff and students) in representing their constituencies.
A report on the Review will be considered by the Senate at its meeting in November 2015.
We would welcome contribution at these focus groups both from Senate members and from staff who are not members of the Senate. These sessions are being held on 2 and 9 October 2015 with each focus group session lasting approximately an hour and a half.
If you’d like to take part in a focus group and contribute to the effectiveness review, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Wednesday 30 September indicating your availability for the focus group sessions below. Please note capacity is limited.
Friday 9 October 2015
Focus Group 3 from 9.00-10.30am
Focus Group 4 from 2.30-4.00pm
Alternatively, if you are unable to attend a focus group session but would wish to contribute views, please feel free to send written comments to email@example.com. Comments should be submitted by 5pm on Friday 9 October at the latest.
If you have any questions about the Effectiveness Review, please do not hesitate to contact Dr Gillian Mackintosh, Academic Registrar on extn 2045 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Browse by Month
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018