The University of Aberdeen has been named the best catering team in Scotland, and 4th in the UK, at the national Chefs Team Challenge.
University chefs, Mark Donovan and Fil Danek, whipped up a culinary delight for judges at the prestigious catering competition in Blackpool, with a menu of pan-fried pollock with lemon and chervil marinated scallops and duo of pork with braised carrot and leek, celeriac puree.
Organised by TUCO, each team at the event was presented with a larder of ingredients and given one hour to plan and submit a menu to be cooked and judged the following day. Mark and Fil’s menu was highly commended and the two chefs were praised for their dishes which were prepared and served in just two hours.
Calum MacLachlan, Head of Commercial Services, said: “Mark and Fil exemplify the attitude and approach made day in and day out by the entire production team here at the University and I’m both proud and delighted that those qualities, as well as Mark and Fil’s competition efforts, have been recognised at the sector’s leading blue ribbon event.”
University staff are invited to try Mark and Fil’s award winning menu at Bishop’s Table from Wednesday 1st to Friday 3rd April.
Starter: Pan-fried Pollock with lemon and chervil marinated scallops, shaved fennel salad and sour apple puree
Main Course: Duo of pork with braised carrot and leek, celeriac puree, fondant potato, puy lentils and red wine jus
Dessert: Vanilla panna cotta with orange and saffron poached rhubarb
(3 courses £12 - 2 courses £9.00)
Browse by Month
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2018
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018