Study Spaces, Support & Resources

Study Spaces, Support & Resources

Student Study Spaces

The University libraries offer lots of drop-in spaces that cater for all needs and preferences, from comfortable spots to catch up on reading, areas for silent study and rooms you can book for group work.

Study spaces for online classes: Booking required

If you’re on campus and would like to book a space for an online class, you can contact our Room Bookings team who will be happy to help. Please bear in mind, you’ll have to be a little more organised to reserve a room. To book:

  • Email at least 48 hours before you need the space. You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours (Monday - Friday). 
  • Take a screengrab or copy of your confirmation email when using a bookable space. You might be asked to show this by a member of staff.
  • These spaces are for one person only and should be used when you are required to interact (e.g. speak) as part of the class. 

Study Support and Resources

The University has many ways to help support you through your studies.

Unsure who to approach first? Use our Support Enquiry System.

Changes with your Studies

If you are finding your studies difficult there is always support to explore possible solutions. You might find it useful to speak to your School Retention and Engagement Contact

Your Personal Tutor is also on hand to help you settle into university life and give pastoral support, if you need some specific advice they can advise you where to go.

If you are concerned about your progress in a particular course contact your Course Coordinator who may be able to help.

If you are worried about your general progress in your programme of study your Registry Officer can give advice on your options and can sometimes liaise with the school to find a route forward.

The Student Advice and Support team are on hand to give confidential advice and information on personal matters, financial issues, disability matters and more.

Our friendly Infohub staff are available to point you in the right direction if you are unsure who to speak to.

The Careers and Employability Team will be pleased to speak to you about the different paths which might be available to you if you are considering that continuing with your studies might not be the best thing for you just now

Registry Officers

Registry Officers can be a great 'first point of call' and source of support for students who have concerns about their programme of study.

Whilst Registry Officers can't provide academic advice, they can advise on

  1. who to see,
  2. where to go and
  3. what to do if, for example, you have failed exams, want to switch courses, are unsure if you are qualified to progress to the next year of study, and so on.

They can also advise on and help you to interpret the regulations for your programme of study. If you wish to speak with your Registry Officer you can email them directly at the relevant email address (see Undergraduate Students and Postgraduate Students). During teaching weeks, Registry Officers also provide an in person Duty Registry Officer service based in the Infohub which operates Monday to Friday from 10am-1.30pm and 2.00-4.00pm except Wednesday, when it closes at 1pm

Undergraduate Students

Alternatively, undergraduate students can contact the Registry Officer for your specific programme of study by telephoning 01224 273505 or emailing the Registry Officer for the School of:

Postgraduate Students
Postgraduate students can contact a Postgraduate Officer in Registry by telephoning 01224 273505 or emailing
Support and guidance throughout your studies
Undergraduate Students

All undergraduate  students are assigned a Personal Tutor when they join the University. For the majority of students they are known as a Personal Tutor, but in the School of Medicine and Dentistry they are known as Regents.

A Personal Tutor is able to help with personal issues and to help support you throughout your studies at University, signposting support available. Your Personal Tutor does not advise on academic matters, but with be able to direct you to the help you need. You can find more information here: Personal Tutors

The role of the Personal Tutor is:

  • To provide opportunities for students to reflect on how their learning within and outwith the formal curriculum can help them in pursuing their longer-term future development.
  • To help foster in all students a sense of belonging to a community of learners.

Where else can I get help and advice?

  • If you have concerns about your programme you can contact your Registry Officer.
  • For advice and support on finance, disabilities, and counselling amongst other services, please visit Student Advice & Support Office on the second floor of the Students' Union Building.
  • For advice on course related matters, please contact your degree programme co-ordinator, or the course co-ordinator in your school.
  • For advice and support on study skills visit the Student Learning Service.
  • You can also get advice on your future from the Careers and Employability Service.
Postgraduate Taught Students

Programme Coordinator

The Programme Coordinator is your academic advisor, overseeing your programme. Contact them in the first place with any academic questions or issues. Even if they can’t provide you with immediate advice, they will point you in the right direction.

You will meet with your Programme Coordinator during advising and induction. They will give you information on how to contact them and let you know about their set office hours. If you want to speak to your Programme Coordinator, but you can’t reach them, contact your School Office to make an appointment.

Responsibilities of a Programme Coordinator include:

  • Providing information on lecture and tutorial arrangements, course work requirements and assessment methods, information on avoiding plagiarism;
  • Ensuring that the programme and the relevant courses are delivered appropriately and effectively;
  • Assisting you in your learning progression and addressing any academic issues that arise;

Dissertation Supervisor

In addition to the Programme Coordinator, you will also have a Dissertation Supervisor, who will provide guidance and advice during your dissertation, project or work placement. The Programme Coordinator usually allocates students to supervisors shortly before the project is due to start.

More information on your Programme Coordinator and Supervisor can be found in Section 11 of the Taught Postgraduate Code of Practice.

Postgraduate Research Students

Supervisory team

Postgraduate research students work with a supervisory team who provide guidance on their research during their programme. A supervisory team consists of at least two supervisors working in co-supervision, with one supervisor acting as the lead. At least one supervisor must be a professor, reader or lecturer of the University.

Research students receive details of their supervisors in their offer of admission to University. Supervisors usually contact their students before the start of their programme in email to set up an initial meeting at the beginning of the programme.

If you are unsure who your supervisors are, please contact your School Office

Supervisory practice depends on what discipline you are studying. The Code of Practice for Research Students sets out the general policy matters such as the level of contact between supervisors and students, issues to be discussed during the first meeting, and the responsibilities of supervisors and assistant supervisors.

Additional Support
Unsure who to approach first?

Registry staff can be a good first contact for students with concerns about their studies. Though they cannot provide academic advice, they can advise on what to do if, for example, you have failed exams, want to switch courses, are unsure if you are qualified to progress to the next year of study, and so on. They can also help you to interpret the regulations for your programme of study.

Your School Office is also a good first point of contact for advice.

Course Concerns

If you feel you are struggling with your course or falling behind in your studies it is important to talk to someone. For course-specific issues, you should contact the Course Coordinator(s) in the first instance.

If you are unsure who your Course Coordinator is, please refer to

Withdrawing from Study or taking a break (UG)
Although we do not like to see students withdraw or take a break from study we understand that sometimes it is necessary. If you are thinking of leaving there is a range of support and advice available to ensure that leaving is the right decision for you and that you know all the options available.
Academic Language and Skills for International Students

The Language Centre offers a range of courses focusing on Academic English Study Skills (writing & communication).

Programme Concerns

If you are worried about your studies more generally, or feel that you are not progressing as you would like, contact your Regent (UG Medicine students), Supervisor (Postgraduate students) or your Registry Officer (all other Undergraduate students) in the first instance. 

Support for Study Policy

The Support for Study policy is a supportive way of assisting the small number of students whose behaviour gives cause for concern. It offers an alternative to disciplinary action when a student’s behaviour may be affected by a health condition or disability.  Details of the policy can be found here.

Academic Skills

From academic writing to study skills, the Student Learning Service can help you find out what you need to know to enhance your academic skills.

Assistive Technology

Assistive Technology aims to empower students to be independent in their studies and support delivery of an accessible environment.

The team can provide advice and training on Assistive Technology software and hardware, and support the use of this technology in assessments and exams.


Toolkit is our multi-award winning gateway to software, services, apps and digital skills at the University of Aberdeen. And our resources are for everyone – whether you’re a fresher or fourth year undergraduate, or a taught or research postgraduate.

Accessible anywhere, any time, and on any device, Toolkit’s simple user interface makes it easy for you to find what you’re looking for. So now you can get the help you need, when you need it!