Based on the Top Floor of the Students' Union Building, the Student Advice and Support team offers impartial and confidential advice and support on a range of issues, including finance, disabilities and specific learning differences, visa and immigration matters, mental health and wellbeing, and more.

Please visit the Support and Wellbeing section for more details.

We will be happy to help!

Out of Hours Contact

If you need to speak to someone when the Student Advice and Support Office is closed

  • Contact your GP and ask for an emergency appointment
  • Contact NHS out of hours service on 111 - NHS out-of-hours
  • Call 999 in an emergency
  • Students in University accommodation can contact the Student Resident Assistants.
Make an Appointment

We are located on the 2nd Floor of the Students' Union Building. Students at the Old Aberdeen campus can pop in past to visit us, or if you cannot visit in person, contact us by telephone on 01224 273935, or by email:

Alternatively if you study at our Foresterhill Campus you can visit us in person in room 0.049 between 1.30-4.30pm every Wednesday until 11th December 2019.

Make an Appointment

If you want to talk to someone please visit our reception desk, or call 01224 273935.  You may already know which type of Adviser you would like to see, or the secretarial staff can assist you to establish this by asking a small number of questions.  Please have your Student ID number to hand.

Advance booking is not always required.  If your query is urgent, or quick in nature a Duty Adviser may be free to meet with you.  If necessary, we may need to book a follow-up appointment if there is not enough time to cover all of your queries.

Student Advice & Support Staff

The Student Advice & Support team are available to help you with a wide range of issues during your time at the University. Our office team will be happy to assist you to make an appointment with an appropriate adviser for your needs.

Student Advice & Support

Office Team

Student Support Advisers

Worried About Someone Else?

The Student Support Advisers often speak to students or members of staff who are concerned about another student. Our service is confidential, and allows people who are worried about a friend or colleague to discuss their concerns and receive advice about how they can help, or when they should take further action.

If you are worried about someone, please come and talk to us. We can approach students to offer support based on a concern being raised, as well as offer support to those who have been affected by concerns.

Academic Issues

The Student Support Advisers are a team of experienced advisers who assist students experiencing academic issues on a daily basis. We can provide advice and support for students on the monitoring process, transferring degree programmes, appeals, complaints and much more.

Students in Crisis

Students experiencing a crisis should make contact with the Student Advice and Support Office during the hours of 9 am and 4.30 pm. They will be able to speak with a Student Support Adviser or, if appropriate, the Mental Health Adviser.

Mental Health

Everyone can face times when they need a bit of help for their mental health. Information about useful self-help resources can be found on the Counselling Services self-help pages.

If you are worried you are experiencing some difficulties that are impacting on your wellbeing in an area of your life e.g. relationships, work, studies, confidential student counselling service appointments can be arranged by contacting the Counselling Service.

If you have a persistent mental health condition or are worried that you are experiencing a serious deterioration in your mental health an appointment with the Mental Health Adviser can be arranged by contacting  01224 273935 or email a Mental Health Advisor in the Student Advice and Support Office. You will be asked to fill in a form providing some key information to inform the arrangement of your appointment.

If you are in crisis you will not be asked to wait. You can drop in to the Student Advice and Support Office to speak with one of the team.


The Student Counselling Service offers short-term counselling provision and, additionally, can help to signpost students to longer-term or specialist support resources, as appropriate.

Opening Hours:
Monday to Friday 09:00-13:00 and 14:00-16:30 with the exception of some public holidays and brief closure between Christmas and New Year.

Disabilities and learning differences

The Disability Service provides advice, information and practical support to all students with a disability, impairment, medical or health condition, or specific learning difference, such as dyslexia.  The Service is available to undergraduate, postgraduate, full-time, part-time and online distance learners.

Money Matters

Worried about money? Need advice on how to manage your money wisely?

If you are experiencing financial difficulties and would like to discuss your personal circumstances with an adviser who specialises in money advice, you should contact us to make an appointment with a Student Support Adviser. We can provide advice about student loans, loans from other sources, budgeting and financial assistance for students. We can also help you to make contact with your funding body if you are having issues, and we can signpost you to other services who can assist you with money advice.

You can find out more information on the Discretionary Fund here.

Read more on Money Matters.

Parents and Carers

Information for Student with Children can be found here.

Helpful information for parents and carers of students at the University of Aberdeen can also be found in our factsheet.

Childcare Fund

The Childcare fund provides assistance with some formal childcare expenses for dependant children. 

Personal Issues

Worried about something? Not sure what to do, or who to speak to about it?

The Student Support Advisers are a team of experienced advisers who assist students experiencing personal issues on a daily basis. We can provide advice and support on a range of issues, and no problem is too little, or too large, to discuss with us. If you would like confidential and non-judgemental advice about anything you are dealing with then please make an appointment to speak to one of our team.

We can signpost students to a number of external support agencies, and we can also help to contact academic departments when personal problems are affecting a student’s ability to focus. The sooner you speak to someone about your issues, the easier it is for us to help. Below is a list of the types of issues we often help students with, but it is not exhaustive by any means.

  • Exam stress
  • Relationship problems
  • Issues with flatmates
  • Low self-esteem
  • Pregnancy
  • Issues with the Police
  • Family problems
Visa and Immigration Advice

Finding your way around UK visa information can be complicated which is why our International Student Advisers provide one-to-one advice to assist you with your Tier 4 visa application and advise you on many other issues related to your visa and your immigration status in the UK.  To book an appointment please either telephone 01224 273935 or visit our Student Advice and Support Office reception on the top floor of the Students’ Union Building.

If you are contacting us from outside the UK or you just prefer to send your initial enquiry by e-mail, you can do so at: