Student Advice & Support Office

Student Advice & Support Office

We offer impartial advice and support through private discussion on a range of issues, including personal, academic, money matters, disabilities and specific learning differences, mental health and wellbeing, and more.  

If you require support or wish to speak with a Student Support Adviser please email or call 01224 273935 to arrange an appointment.  We can offer you an appointment by telephone, Microsoft Teams or in person. When contacting the team to request an appointment, please provide information about your availability, your preference for appointment location/mode, and please feel free to share any further preferences regarding your support appointment, e.g. a male/female identifying adviser. Please note that it may not always be possible for us to deliver an appointment which meets all of your preferences, but we may make a relevant referral to partner support teams or organisations following discussion with you.

We are currently running a drop in Monday to Thursday 10am - 3.45pm, with focused disability sessions Monday and Thursday 1pm – 3.45pm and Tuesday and Wednesday 10am – 1pm. These run on a first come first served basis, so you may be asked to wait or come back at a later date depending on how many people have already come in. 

If you are unable to come in person, please email or call 01224 273935 to arrange an appointment or a call back.  

British Sign Language (BSL) users can contact us directly by using Contact Scotland BSL

Out of Hours Contact

If the Student Advice and Support Office is closed, and you need to speak to someone urgently, please have a look at the following contacts:

  • The University of Aberdeen Student Helpline 
  • Contact your GP and ask for an emergency appointment
  • Students in University owned Halls of Residence can call Hillhead reception on 01224 274000 for signposting and support
  • Contact NHS out of hours service on 111 - NHS out-of-hours
  • Call 999 in an emergency
Make an Appointment

If you want to talk to someone please email:

We can offer you an appointment by telephone, Microsoft Teams or in person.

If you have any specific requests in relation to the support you will receive (e.g., you would prefer to speak with a member of staff who identifies as female) please let us know and where possible, we will honour this.


Student Advice & Support Staff

The Student Advice & Support team are available to help you with a wide range of issues during your time at the University. Our office team will be happy to assist you to make an appointment with an appropriate adviser for your needs.

Management Team
Admin Team
Student Support Advisers
Worried About Someone Else?

The Student Support Advisers often speak to students or members of staff who are concerned about another student. Our service is confidential, and allows people who are worried about a friend or colleague to discuss their concerns and receive advice about how they can help, or when they should take further action.

If you are worried about someone, please email We can contact students to offer support based on a concern being raised, as well as offer support to those who have been affected by concerns.

Academic Concerns

Our Student Support Advisers can provide advice and support on the monitoring process, transferring degree programmes, appeals, complaints and more.

If you have received a C6 'At Risk' or C7 'Refusal of Class Certificate' and would like more information please visit the Monitoring and Progress page.

If you would like to change your degree programme, or if you are not enjoying a specific course and would like to change, please visit the Changes to Studies page.

Students in Crisis

Students experiencing a crisis should email if they wish to speak with a Student Support Adviser.

Mental Health

Everyone experiences challenges with their mental health from time to time. You can find useful tips and resources to help manage difficult times on our Self-Help Pages.

It is important to know that if you are thinking about taking your own life, support is available from university support services. The Samaritans also have resources to help you understand your feelings and how to access the support you need.

If you find these difficulties are negatively impacting your wellbeing in any aspect of your life e.g. relationships, work, studies, you can arrange a confidential counselling appointment by contacting the Counselling Service.

If you have a persistent mental health condition or are worried that you are experiencing a serious deterioration in your mental health please contact your local GP, NHS24 or call 999.

Supporting someone thinking about suicide

It can be really challenging to support someone you care about who is dealing with suicidal thoughts. There is a popular myth that directly speaking to someone with suicidal thoughts about suicide can be really damaging to that person. Actually, most of the time knowing that they have someone they can speak to about the feelings they are experiencing can be a huge relief.

Samaritans have put together some guides about how to listen and support someone you care about who is experiencing suicidal thoughts. You can find more information here.


Counselling is a talking therapy which gives you the opportunity to explore with a qualified counsellor, issues which are causing you concern or distress. 

The University Counselling Service offer one appointment at the time you need to talk, rather than a block of future appointments.  This does not mean you are limited to only one appointment; it just means that you book one appointment at a time. Many students and members of staff find that one appointment is all they might need; others return to see us again – it is all about what works best for you.

Appointments are usually arranged for within 5-10 working days of contact dependent on your preferences and availability but please do allow us time to respond to your email as there are times of the year when we can be busier but we will get back to you.  


Disabilities and Specific Learning Differences

The Disability Service provides advice, information and practical support to prospective and current students. The Disability Team are available to assist undergraduate, postgraduate, full time, part time and online distance learners. They cover a range of disabilities including:

  • Sensory and physical impairments
  • Mental health conditions
  • Long-term health conditions
  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)/Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Dyslexia and Specific Learning Differences (SpLD)
  • Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC)

The Disability Team are available to assist undergraduate, postgraduate, full time, part time and online distance learners.

Please visit our Disability Service page for further information.

Money Matters

Are you struggling to make ends meet?  If so, the University of Aberdeen may be able to help you.  Please click on the link below to visit the Money Matters page where you will find lots of information and tips including hardship funds that you may be eligible to apply to.

If you have any questions please email  

Students with Specific Support Needs e.g. carers, students with children, estranged etc

As a University, we are committed to supporting all of our students, and we recognise that the student experience will vary greatly for each of you. We have a team of Student Support Advisers who are available to discuss your individual circumstances, and work with you to ensure that you have all of the necessary and relevant support in place to ensure you can make the most of your studies and have a great experience too. The University is committed to supporting all students and in particular those who identify with the following groups:

  • Care Leavers
  • Estranged
  • Carers
  • Gypsy, Roma, Traveller
  • Veteran
  • Refugee/Asylum Seeker
  • Parents in the military
  • Parents who have had a custodial sentence
  • Educational Maintenance Allowance
  • Free School Meals
  • Low progression schools

For details of the support which can be provided, please contact

Student Conduct and Criminal Convictions or Charges

Students at the University are expected to engage in positive behaviours that promote equality, diversity and inclusion and that respect others at all times. When behaviour falls short of what is expected the University can look to resolve these under the Code of Practice on Student Discipline (non-academic).

This document outlines the types of situations in which the University may investigate allegations of misconduct and the expectations that we have on students in relation to their behaviour. We hope that most students never have to make use of this document but encourage everyone to read and understand the expectations placed on them as part of their continued registration with us. The current version of the Code is available on our Discipline website, alongside a guide for students on the process. 

Students, and offer holders, have a duty to inform the University about certain criminal charges and convictions that they receive. More details on this, and how to disclose, are on our dedicated criminal charges and convictions webpage.

For more information you can email

Personal Concerns

We are here to support and advise you, and offer confidential, impartial and non-judgemental advice on a variety of issues. We can signpost you to external support or help you contact your School if personal difficulties are affecting your ability to focus on your studies. Please don’t hesitate to reach out and arrange to speak to a member of our team and get the help you need.

Visit the Support & Wellbeing pages to find out about specific concerns we can help with.