The Disability Service provides advice, information and practical support to prospective and current students who have sensory and physical impairments, mental health conditions, long-term health conditions, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)/Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Dyslexia and other specific learning differences (SpLD) and students who have an Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC). The Disability Team are available to assist undergraduate, postgraduate, full time, part time and online distance learners.

Contact Us


Location: Top Floor, Students’ Union Building

Elphinstone Road


AB24 3TU


Tel: 01224 273935



The definition of disability is very wide and includes, but is not limited to the following:

  • Dyslexia or other Specific Learning Differences
  • Visual Impairment
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Long-Term Illness
  • Mental Health Conditions
  • Physical Impairment
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder, including Asperger’s Syndrome
  • Temporary Disability or injury

If you have a disability we strongly encourage you to make an appointment with a Disability Adviser to discuss, agree and implement any support you may require.

Students applying through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) will be able to indicate their disability on the application form.

If you are unsure whether you are eligible for support, please contact us.

School Disability Coordinators

Schools and Departments have identified members of staff as Disability Coordinators who the Disability Team work closely with to ensure that your reasonable adjustments are implemented.





We will only discuss disability-related information with other members of staff once we have your permission, or if we need to do this for reasons of health and safety, emergency, or public policy. Before we put support in place, we ask for your consent to pass on information to colleagues who will provide your support.  Our Disclosure Form explains how we treat and store your confidential information.

How to Arrange Support

If you feel that you would benefit from disability-related support while you study with us, please provide us information about your support needs once you are offered your place. You can do this by completing the Offer Holder’s Form.

If you are already studying with us, please make an appointment to see a member of the Disability Team.  Make sure you bring evidence of your disability with you, so we can put the right support in place as quickly as possible. We wont be able to put some support arrangements, such as extra time, in place until we get your evidence.


If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition you will need to provide evidence from a qualified medical professional, such as:

  • GP
  • Consultant
  • Specialist or Psychiatric Nurse
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Audiologist
  • Hospital Consultants

If you have a specific learning difference (SpLD), eg dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia, we will accept pre- or post-16 evidence in the form of a report that confirms you have a SpLD from one of the following:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Educational Professional or Specialist Teacher, or equivalent, eg an Occupational Therapist who holds a current practicing certificate in assessing SpLD issued by the relevant professional association, such as the Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Differences (PATOSS)
  • Educational Professional or Specialist Teacher who holds a current qualification that allows Associated Membership of the British Dyslexia Accusation (AMBDA)

The evidence should identify:

  • The name of the impairment or health conditions
  • When the impairments or health condition was diagnosed/identified
  • How long the impairment/health condition is likely to last
  • The main effects of the condition, eg mobility impairment, short term concentration ability
  • Any side effects of medication or treatment
  • The impact that the impairment or health condition has on your ability to engage in study activities

All evidence must be provided in English. If translation is required, it is your responsibility to arrange this with an accredited professional translation service.

If you need advice about obtaining evidence of your dyslexia or SpLD, please arrange to meet a Disability Adviser. The University may be able to assist you to obtain an evaluation.

Support We Can Implement

After discussing your needs with you, a Disability Adviser can put together a list of the adjustments you need. We call these your provisions and, with your permission, we will communicate this information to the relevant staff at the University. 

Some examples of adjustments are:

  • Lecture outlines and PowerPoint slides for lectures in advance and in alternative formats:
  • Reading lists in advance
  • Extra time in exams
  • Use of a computer in exams
  • Reader/scribe in exams
  • No penalties for poor spelling or grammar
  • Agreed extensions to deadlines

Some examples of support with taught sessions are:

  • Support workers, such as note-takers, to ensure that students have an accurate record of what is covered in lectures
  • The loan of digital recorders to record sessions
  • Support worker assistance in practical sessions (e.g. in labs) to ensure that students can work effectively and safely

Exam support

Arrangements for exam adjustments need to be in place in advance of the start of exams.   These include arrangements such as:

  • extra time
  • use of a computer and assistive software
  • a smaller exam venue with fewer other candidates
  • Exam papers in alternative formats (e.g. Braille or large print)
  • No penalties for poor spelling or grammar: 

If you require adjustments in exams, please make sure you have spoken to a Disability Adviser before the deadline. 

The deadlines for disabled students requesting provisions in exams in academic year 2019/20 are as follows:

  • First half-session: Friday 1 November 2019
  • Second half-session: Friday 20 March 2020
  • Resits: Friday 5th June 2020

If you require any disability-related provisions for your exams that have not already been agreed and implemented for your current course of study, please arrange an appointment with a Disability Adviser by calling 01224 273935 or by coming into the Student Advice and Support Office.

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA helps cover the disability-related costs that may be incurred during studies. DSA is not means tested and is available from UK funding bodies to students who are ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK. DSA is available to students on full-time undergraduate and some part-time, distance learning and postgraduate programmes. DSA is in addition to the standard student finance package that you may receive.

DSA can provide funding towards:

  • Specialist Equipment like assistive software, hardware and ergonomic equipment
  • Nonmedical Personal Help like specialist study skills support and mentoring
  • Genera disabilityrelated expenses like funding towards additional printing and photocopy costs
  • Funding towards additional disabilityrelated support

You can apply for DSA before or after you have started studying with us. We suggest that you apply as early as possible so that your support can be in place for the start of the academic year. The application process differs depending on the funding body.

Our Disability Team can provide information, advice and support with the DSA application process. Please contact us to discuss this.

If you are a full-time student, please ensure you have already applied for your Student Funding (applying to SAAS to cover tuition fees, bursaries or living-cost grants) before beginning your application for DSA.

Screening for Dyslexia

If you suspect that you may have dyslexia, or a specific learning difference (SpLD), we can offer you a screening.  We use a computer-based programme for the screening exercise which indicates if you are exhibiting indicators of an SpLD.  If you do, you will be given the opportunity of a referral to an Educational Psychologist for a full assessment.  To arrange a screening appointment, please visit, or contact  the Student Advice and Support Office.

Assistive Technology Booths (ATBs)

The Assistive Technology Booths (ATBs) are accessible, single occupancy PC rooms available for use by students with disabilities, specific learning difficulties or medical condition. They provide a selection of assistive software and hardware that couldn’t practically be provided on the regular Classroom Computers.

Access to booths is available via referral from either the Disability Team within Student Support Services, or the Dyslexia tutor within the Student Learning Service. Students who have been granted access can then book a booth online.

Support with Accessing the Campus

If you require assistance to access the campus and University buildings, the Disability Service can help with:

  • Arranging support worker assistance.
  • Liaising with University Departments to arrange accessible teaching and exam venues. 
  • Referral for University disabled parking permits for non-Blue badge holders.
  • Development of a Personal Evacuation Plan if you will need assistance with evacuation in the event of an emergency.
  • SafeZone is a free app for students that connects you to the University security team if you ever need urgent help, first aid or if you have an emergency while on campus.
  • AccessAble provides detailed access information for University buildings on the Kings College Campus, the Foresterhill Campus, and the Halls of Residence, to inform prospective students of the accessibility of the campus.