Your Wellbeing

Your Wellbeing

Your Wellbeing. If you feel comfortable, healthy, and happy within yourself then you are more likely to reach your full potential and perform to the best of your academic ability.

The resources within this page are here to help and support your mental health and wellbeing at university. Read the Student Mental Health Agreement to find out about the Aberdeen University Students Association (AUSA) and The University of Aberdeen’s (UoA) commitment to improving the mental wellbeing of all students.

Are You or Someone You Know in Crisis?

If you are experiencing a crisis, emergency, or need urgent support, please dial 999.

  • Alternatively, please contact your GP Practice and ask for an Emergency Appointment.
  • When your GP Practice is closed, please telephone NHS 24 on 111.  NHS out-of-hours
  • Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm, you can speak to a Student Support Adviser in the Student Advice & Support Office.
  • The University Student Helpline is available when University support services are closed. That's Monday-Friday from 5pm to 9am, 24 hours a day at weekends, on bank holidays and during UoA closure periods.

Other helplines include:

  • Breathing Space  A free helpline / webchat available 7 days a week for people in Scotland facing crisis. 
  • CAM Support Messenger provides a 24/7 free text service for crisis support across the UK. 
  • HopeLine UK  provides a telephone service for young children and adults under the age of 35 who are experiencing thoughts of suicide.
  • Prevent Suicide - App is an app available for users in Aberdeen which has quick links to local support and allows users to create their own personalised safety plan. 
  • Rape Crisis Scotland   provides services for people in Scotland who have suffered sexual violence regardless of how or when.  
  • University of Aberdeen Security (24/7) can be contacted using the free SafeZone app if you ever need urgent help, first aid or if you have an emergency while on campus.
  • Samaritans offer a free helpline, email service, postal service, and self-help app for anyone experiencing or attempting to cope with crisis.
Alcohol and Drugs

For many students, drinking alcohol with friends will form part of your social life at university. Make sure you know how to keep health risks from alcohol low by following national guidance which recommends drinking no more than 14 units of alcohol a week. You should also try to spread your units evenly over three or more days. 

Support and Resources 

  • Addiction Advocates  run a free 24-hour helpline for people suffering from addiction. Talk to an addiction specialist who can provide advice, reassurance and access to local treatment services.

  • Alcohol and Drugs Action (ADA) offers a variety of support services for people struggling with alcohol and drug abuse including drop-in sessions and helplines. 

  • Narcotics Anonymous offers online meetings and support people who are or have been suffering with drug abuse as well as mentoring schemes for abusers. 

  • NHS Alcohol Support offers facts and advice for people suffering from alcohol abuse. Outlines the NHS process for treating alcohol abuse as well as external links for support. 

  • Rehab 4 Addiction is a free addiction helpline run by people who’ve beaten addiction in their own lives. 

  • Student Guide - The Harms of Substance Misuse offers facts and advice for student struggling with drug and alcohol addiction.

  • TalktoFrank offers information about the dosage and side effects of any drug. Gives advice about what to do in an emergency surrounding drugs and offers support centres for drug abusers.

Domestic Abuse and Gender Based Violence

Anyone can be a victim of abuse, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, socio-economic status, sexuality or background. You have the right to feel safe in your relationships, free from physical or verbal violence. If you feel at risk of abuse or if you are worried about a loved one, help and support is available. 

Consent (or permission) needs to be given every time you have sex. A person can not give consent if they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, are asleep or are being threatened with physical violence. Sex without consent is called rape which is against the law. 

If you need to report a crime call Police Scotland on 101 (or in an emergency 999). You will always be treated with respect and dignity during any contact with the police. You can also use the University's online confidential reporting tool to report incidents or acts of harassment, bullying, violence, targeted hate, or sexual misconduct.

Confidential Reporting

You can also use the University's online confidential reporting tool to report incidents or acts of harassment, bullying, violence, targeted hate, or sexual misconduct.

Support is also available from:

  • AMIS is a charity which offers support for men that have been a victim of domestic support. 

  • BullyingUK offers information and advice for people and families of people affected by bullying. Also offers an online chat on weekdays and an email support service. 

  • Galop is the National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline. 

  • Grampian Woman Aid is a charity offering free, confidential, and non-judgemental specialist services for women and children in Aberdeen who have suffered domestic abuse. 

  • Rape Crisis Scotland provides free, confidential support to anyone aged 13+ in the Grampian area who has experienced any form of sexual violence, regardless of when it happened. 

  • Safe Spaces gives you access to an untraceable online safe space by clicking the Safe Spaces logo via the Royal Mail website. 

  • Victim Support Scotland provides free and confidential support for victims of crime. 

Epilepsy Advice and Support for Students

Check out Epilepsy Scotland's Student Guide for helpful advice on managing your epilepsy during your studies.

Gambling and Online Addiction
  • BeGambleAware offers free online advice for people suffering from a gambling addiction via a helpline or online live chat. 

  • Video Game Addiction Help offers confidential help and support for people suffering from or affected by someone suffering from a video game or internet addiction. 

Medical Care

Update March 2023

We are aware many of our local GPs are currently not taking new patient registrations. If you have yet to register with a GP try not to worry as there is a range of support available.

You can find a list of GPs who are still registering patients HERE. Do not worry too much about distance as appointments can often be online.

You can visit your local pharmacist who can help and advice you on minor health concerns.

The Know-Who-To-Turn-To guide is also helpful in determining what services you should contact. 

You can use the NHS 24 Online app to find your nearest services, to assess your symptoms and find out what you should do next. 

If you find it challenging finding a suitable service please make an appointment with our Student Support Advisors who can help.

The Student Helpline is available to you 24 hours a day and offers free-of-charge and immediate emotional support.

You can watch a video on how Medical Care works in Scotland HERE.

The NHS is here for you and have produced a very helpful document outlining the services you should contact for health advice. Going directly to the person with the appropriate skills helps you to a speedier recovery and makes sure all NHS services are run efficiently.

For more information please visit:

Click below for details of how you can register with both a doctor and a dentist.

All applications must be done online and returned by email. Please do not visit the practice without an appointment.

International students in the UK who are registered with a GP will be able to access the Covid-19 vaccination in the UK, just as they are currently able to access healthcare. The vaccination is not compulsory.

Medical Emergencies
  • In a medical emergency, this is when you or some else is seriously ill, injured, or someone’s life is at risk please dial 999. 
  • If you need urgent health advice when your GP practice or dentist is closed, you should call NHS 24 on 111. You should only call NHS 24 if you are too ill to wait until your GP practice reopens. NHS 24 cannot prescribe medications or book you an appointment with your GP. They can advise you on what to do or book an emergency doctor appointment at your primary care emergency centre if the nurse practitioner thinks it is necessary.
Registering for a Doctor

It is important that you register with a doctor as soon as possible, preferably within two weeks of your arrival in Aberdeen. Do not wait until you are sick to register. It is especially important to register with a doctor if you have any prescriptions as you will not be able to renew them until you are registered. If you are already registered with a doctor based in Aberdeen, then you do not need to register with another.

The following practices include our main student accommodations in their catchment areas. A list of practices who cover the area in which you reside can be obtained from the Service Directory on the NHS Inform website.

Please note your GP will only be able to call you back if you have a UK phone number. If you do not have a UK phone number you will only have access to the eConsult function. You can pick up a free sim card from the Infohub.

Medical Practices around the University

Where you live: Your Medical Practice could be:
  • Hillhead Halls 
  • Elphinstone Halls
  • University campus
  • The Spital 
  • Don Street
  • Ardmuir Properties
  • King St Old Fire Station
  • King Street Exchange
  • Mealmarket Exchange
  • Rosemount Hall
  • Spring Garden
  • Trinity Court
  • Woolmanhill

 NB This Practice is currently not accepting new patient registrations at the Practice. Find an alternative GP in your area with the NHS Inform GP Finder.

Where you live: Your Medical Practice could be:
  • Causeway View
  • Powis Place

 NB This Practice is currently not accepting new patient registrations at the Practice. Find an alternative GP in your area with the NHS Inform GP Finder.

To Register:

Visit the GP Practice website for details on how to register. If you are already a registered patient the practice will continue to see you and offer advice when required. If you still need to register with a GP practice in Aberdeen you can call the Practitioners Services Division on 01224 358400 or visit the Service Directory on the NHS Inform ( website. If you need urgent health advice when your GP practice is closed, you should call NHS 24 on 111.

Please note:

If you are not currently living in Aberdeen, you should not register with a doctor until you arrive and should stay registered with doctor at home.


If you are a Tier 4 student and you have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge (HIS) as part of your visa application you will be able to access National Health Service (NHS) treatment when you arrive in Scotland. You will need to pay for dental treatment. Additional visa applications will require a further payment for the period of the extension. If you are a student coming for short-term study you must obtain medical insurance before travelling to the UK.

European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss national students should obtain a European Health Insurance card (EHIC) from your country prior to coming to the UK.

Registering for a Dentist

At this time the number of practises taking on new patients is variable. The best way to find out what practices are accepting new patients is through the Dental Information and Advice Line (DIAL) team.

In Scotland NHS dental examinations are free for everyone. Following your dental examination, the dentist will advise you on any treatment you require. If you are under the age of 26 you are eligible for free treatment. If you are over the age of 26 there is a charge. The cost may differ per practice and we would advise you get details of the cost before agreeing to your treatment.

If you are registered with a dentist and you have severe toothache or a dental emergency, you are advised to contact your dental practice. Even in the practice is closed, an automated message will provide specific instructions.


All pharmacies dispense prescriptions and most supply emergency contraception on the NHS. You can visit any pharmacy to have your prescription dispensed, it does not have to be the same one. If you run out of your regular medicines and can’t obtain a prescription from your GP, your pharmacist can dispense an urgent repeat supply.

Pharmacies sell a wide range of over the counter medicines to treat minor ailments such as hay fever, athlete’s foot, head lice and cold sores.
You can also get expert advice or information on healthcare and help with your medicines. There is no need to make an appointment.

Pharmacies around the University

Baird’s Pharmacy

519A King Street


AB24 3BT

Tel: 01224 483783

Rowlands Pharmacy

695 George Street


AB25 3XP

Tel: 01224 635519

Rosemount Pharmacy

1 Mount Street


AB25 2RA

Tel: 01224 630101


First Aid
  • If you or a fellow student is involved in an accident on the University Campus and require a First Aider, you should go to the nearest University building and ask for a First Aider. There will usually be a First Aider notice displayed nearby with contact telephone numbers to reach them on.
  • If the accident is serious and/or life threatening then you should dial 999 immediately.
Mental Health

University life can be busy so it’s important to protect our mental wellbeing. Help and support is available if you are struggling to cope, having difficulty sleeping or feeling low.

Support and Resources 

  • BEAT offers free and confidential help via message boards, webchat and telephone for persons struggling with any eating disorder. 

  • Breathing Space is a service for people in Scotland which is provided via video chat and helpline. Allows you to talk through your feelings and concerns with mental health professionals. 

  • CALM offers a helpline / webchat available all year around for men who are facing difficulty and depressive thoughts. 

  • Cruise Bereavement Care is a free national helpline for people seeking someone to listen to them following a loss/bereavement.  

  • Penumbra is an Aberdeen Self Harm service providing one-on-one support to people over 16 years old who are struggling with self-harm via self-referral or referral from family/agencies. 

  • Prevent Suicide App provides helpful information for those affected in any way by suicide. It has extensive contact details for services in Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire as well as providing users with the ability to create their own safety plan.

  • Samaritans offer a free helpline and self-help app for anyone experiencing suicidal thoughts or are struggling to cope.

  • Shout 85258 is a 24/7 text messaging support service for anybody to text when they may be struggling with anxiety, loneliness or depression through to self-harm or suicidal thoughts. The service is there 24/7 and you will get a reply within 5 minutes of your text. TEXT 85258. 

  • Students Against Depression offers information on how to spot depression and understand it. Provides resources allowing you to initiate self-help and create an action plan through a set of modules. 

  • Meridian Wellbeing (formerly the Chinese Mental Health Association) provide accessible services, activities and support that are designed to promote everyone's wellbeing including a Chinese Wellbeing Service where they offer bilingual support, services and activities for like minded people to socialise and manage their wellbeing. 

Sanitary Products

The University and Student Association are proud to support the Scottish Government initiative to reduce Period Poverty by supplying free sanitary products.

The aim is to promote equality and dignity for those who menstruate and ensure that everyone has access to products so that it does not impact on their ability to fully participate in education.

You can find free sanitary towels, tampons and reusable cups and pads across campus.

Please take what you need when you need it.

Campus Building Location of Products
Foresterhill Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) Level 2
Foresterhill Medical Physics Ground Floor & First Floor
Foresterhill Polwarth Reception & Library
Foresterhill Rowett Rear Entrance & Reception
Foresterhill Suttie Ground floor
Foresterhill Lilian Sutton Building TBC
Hillhead Hillhead Central Building Reception
Old Aberdeen Butchart Ground floor
Old Aberdeen Crombie Reception
Old Aberdeen Cruickshank Ground floor
Old Aberdeen Edward Wright Ground floor main entrance
Old Aberdeen Fraser Noble Entrance Foyer
Old Aberdeen King's College James Mackay & Elphinstone Hall
Old Aberdeen MacRobert Both sides of café
Old Aberdeen Meston Rear & front entrance
Old Aberdeen New Kings Ground floor
Old Aberdeen Old Brewery Entrance
Old Aberdeen Regent Near Lecture Theatre
Old Aberdeen Science Teaching Hub Entrance
Old Aberdeen SDR Library Ground floor
Old Aberdeen St Mary's Entrance
Old Aberdeen Student Union Building Entrance & Student Union Reception
Old Aberdeen Taylor Entrance & Library entrance
Old Aberdeen William Guild Entrance & Foyer
Old Aberdeen Zoology Entrance

If stock is low or needs replenished, please flag this via:

If you have any queries or feedback about the initiative, please contact:

Sexual Health

There are lots of resources available to help you maintain good sexual health while at University.  

  • AUSA provide free condoms, femidoms and lubricant, as well as advice on sexual health. For more information see here.

  • Grampian Health Village provides information about sexual health services in the Aberdeen Community Health and Care Village and how to get to the building. 

  • LGBT Sexual Health provides advice, support and information on LGBT sexual health. 

  • You can find information and guidance if you or your partner become pregnant or adopt children during your studies in the Academic Quality Handbook 

  • You are encouraged to discuss your circumstances with a with a Student Support Adviser at the Student Advice & Support Office who will be able to give you further information and options regarding your studies. 


It may seem obvious, but sleep is hugely important when you’re studying. Getting a good night’s sleep (7-9 hours) will help you to learn at your best, improve your state of mind and hopefully feel happier!  

Having good sleep hygiene can improve our overall sleep quality. Here are some simple ways to your chances of a good night’s sleep: 

  1. Keep your bedroom tidy and clean. 

  1. Try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day (even at weekends). 

  1. Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol for at least 4 hours before bedtime. 

  1. Exercise regularly but leave at least 3 hours before you go to bed. 

  1. Have a bedtime ritual such as brushing your teeth, setting the alarm or reading a book. 

  1. Only go to bed when you feel sleepy. 

  1. Make sure not to go to bed hungry or thirsty or too full. 

  1. Limit how much ‘blue light’ you have just before bedtime (TV, computer, phone or tablet). 

  1. Keep your bedroom only for sleep, do not study or watch TV in your bed. 

  1. Ensure your bedroom is dark and at a comfortable temperature. 

  1. Use relaxation exercises to help you sleep (warm bath, relaxation podcast etc). 

  1. If you cannot fall asleep within 30 minutes, get out of bed and do something relaxing. 

In Summer: 

  • Fix blackout/blinds curtains and turn your bedroom into a sleep-inducing environment. 

In Winter: 

  • If you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), try using a SAD lamp after seeing your GP. This may help you stay awake during the daytime. 

For more information about ways to improve your sleep please visit National Sleep Foundation. 

Staying Active

Looking after our physical health is an important part of our daily lives. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can boost energy, improve mood and prevent certain health conditions. 

Regular exercise is important when you are studying as it improves your concentration; making you feel more alert and less fatigued so you can better focus on your learning. 

The UK national recommendations for exercise are 30 minutes a day. 

Find out more. 

Aberdeen Sports Village

The ASV offers a world-class sports facility at the University of Aberdeen. As a student, you are welcome to use a range of the facilities at a discounted price. 

Find out more 

Active Travel

Active travel is a convenient, accessible and affordable way for people to be physically active. Active travel is about choosing to walk, cycle or scoot short journeys such as to, between and from our campuses.

Did you know? 

  • 50% of all driven journeys in Scotland are less than 5km & 26% are less than 2km 

  • The positive impacts of active travel include reduced congestion, pollution and carbon emissions as well as better physical, mental and social health 

Check out the links below for a map with campus facilities and route suggestions between campuses. 

Active Travel Map 

Medal Routes 

AUSA Sports Clubs

Sports clubs are a great way to stay active as well as promoting your wellbeing.  

Find out more 

eBike Rent
If you would like to travel more sustainably around the city or between campuses, you can hire a bicycle from AUSA completely free. We also have electric bikes that can be loaned out. For more information or for route planning please contact: