The Language Centre has long history of providing Language Training and support for students, staff and the wider community. We pride ourselves on the friendly and professional services that we provide.
Language Centre Courses
- Pre-Sessional Academic English
Pre-Sessional Academic English is for students who need to raise their language level before starting degree courses.
Our pre-sessional courses aim to help you make the transition to study at the University of Aberdeen and focuses on the language and skills that you will need including:
- Planning and structuring longer pieces of writing
- Using source material in your writing
- Developing strategies and skills for effective academic study
- Developing active reading & listening skills
- Participating in seminars and giving academic presentations
Advantages of taking these courses include:
- Successful completion removes the language condition on your offer
- Preparation for life and study at the University of Aberdeen
- Making friends and meeting other international students
- In-Sessional Academic English Skills Support
These classes are designed for students whose first language is not English and who have started their degree studies.
The Language Centre offers support with both Academic Writing and Communication Skills. We offer general sessions for all international students, as well as some sessions specifically related to your degree subject.
- Evening Classes
Evening Classes are for those who would like to learn a new language or to continue language learning.
The Language Centre offers a wide range of foreign language evening classes from beginners to advanced, including:
We also offer evening IELTS preparation and English language courses for non-native English speakers. The courses are open to University of Aberdeen staff, students and the general public.
For our September 2021 evening classes please fill out this form to indicate which language course you are interested in attending. We are currently unable to advise if the September courses will be delivered face-to-face or online. More information will be available on our website in July.