- XRD, NMR, and mercury injection/withdrawal (MICP) measurements on 4 sandstones and 3 limestones
- Some centrifuge data on Indiana limestone cores.
- Some oil/brine contact angle measurements on soda lime glass and marble, with raw images.
Dr. Yukie Tanino is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Engineering at University of Aberdeen. Prior to joining the University in 2012, she was a postdoctoral research associate in the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London (2009-2012) and in Laboratoire Fluides, Automatique et Systèmes Thermiques in France (2008-2009). Dr. Tanino holds a B.S. (Environmental Engineering Science), M.S. (Civil and Environmental Engineering), and PhD (Environmental Fluid Mechanics) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Dr. Tanino’s research interests are in the fluid dynamics of, and mass transport in, obstructed flows such as those found in geological reservoirs, flood plains, and subsea wells. At Aberdeen Dr. Tanino leads the Subsurface Flow and Transport Laboratory located in the School of Engineering, and currently supervises/co-supervises 9 postgraduate research students with colleagues in the School of Engineering and the Institute of Medical Sciences. She also teaches enhanced oil recovery to students on the MSc and MEng programmes in Petroleum Engineering.
- Multi-phase flow in porous media.
- Buoyancy-driven flows.
- Instability and turbulence in stratified shear flows under confinement.
- Turbulence and mass transport in random cylinder arrays.
- Techniques used include:
- ADV, LDV, PIV
- LIF, PLIF
- X-ray microtomography
- neutron and X-ray imaging
- pore-network simulation
- Darcy-scale simulation (history matching)
STRATIFIED SHEAR FLOWS
- Water/polymer exchange flows in inclined pipes [with Dominic van der A].
TWO-PHASE POROUS MEDIA FLOW UNDER MIXED-WET CONDITIONS
- Impact of wettability on two-phase flow in oil/water/carbonate rock systems. Student: Magali Christensen [PhD, Oct. 2018].
- Thermally-driven inversions in reservoir wettability and its impact on oil recovery. Student: Mohammad Sarlak [with Alan McCue].
IMPACT OF GRAIN ROUGHNESS ON POROUS MEDIA FLOW
- Pore-scale imaging of two-phase flow: linking in-situ contact angles to bulk properties. Student: Anelechi Ibekwe [with Dubravka Pokrajac].
- Waterflood oil recovery under unstable viscosity ratios: a microfluidic study. Student: Olalekan Ajayi.
CAPILLARY DISCONTINUITIES IN POROUS MEDIA
- Initiation and flow through fractures: characterization using neutron and X-ray CT. Student: Girvani Manoharan [with Amer Syed and Andy Welch].
- A pore-scale investigation of spontaneous imbibition under mixed-wet conditions. Student: Xanat Zacarias Hernandez .
- Yong Sung Park, University of Dundee (UK)
- Jacob LaManna, NIST (US)
- David L Jacobson, NIST (US)
- Daniel S Hussey, NIST (US)
- Amer Syed, School of Engineering, Aberdeen
- Andy Welch, School of Medicine & Dentistry, Aberdeen
- Jean-Pierre Hulin, Laboratoire FAST (France)
- Frederic Moisy, Laboratoire FAST (France)
- Martin J Blunt, Imperial College London
- Heidi M Nepf, MIT (US)
Our research is supported by:
- Royal Society International Exchanges Cost Share 2018 China (with Amer Syed (PI); Mar 2019 - Mar 2021, £11066)
- UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Overseas Travel Grant (2016 - Feb. 2018, £20.6k)
- UK Natural Environment Research Council IODP Phase 2 (with Stephen Bowden (PI); Dec. 2016 - Sept. 2017, £35.4k)
- COREX (UK) Ltd. (2015-2020, £41.4k)
- Royal Society Research Grant (2014-2015, £15k)
- The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland Research Grant (2014-2015, £2.5k)
- University of Aberdeen Chevron Fund (2014)
- University of Aberdeen Principal's Interdisciplinary Fund (2014)
- University of Aberdeen Principal's Excellence Fund (2014)
- Development Trust (2012, £125k)
- Mexican National Council for Science and Technology PhD studentship (X. Zacarias Hernandez 2016-2019, £64.1k)
- Energy Technology Partnership Postgraduate and Early Career Researchers Exchanges (PECRE) grant
- G. Manoharan 2018 £3k “Insights into mechanics of brittle fracture in rocks under triaxial conditions using combined neutron and X-ray imaging”
- Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA) Foundation grant
- X. Zacarias Hernandez US$2.5k (2017-18), US$2k (2018-19)
- G. Manoharan US$3.5k (2017-18)
- O. Ajayi, 2016 US$1.5k
- A. Ibekwe, 2016 US$2.5k
- M. Walter, 2016
- M. Christensen, 2014 US$2k
- B. Akamairo, 2013
- Aberdeen Formation Evaluation Society (AFES) bursary/grant
- X. Zacarias Hernandez 2018 £1k
- O. Ajayi 2018 £1k
- G. Manoharan 2017 (£500), 2018 (£1k)
- A. Ibekwe 2017 £500
- M. Christensen 2013 (£2k), 2014 (£2k), 2015 (£1.5k)
- B. Akamairo, 2015
- University of Aberdeen PhD studentship
- M. K. Habeeb Mohamed 2016-2019
- O. Ajayi 2015-2018
- College of Physical Sciences PhD studentship (M. Christensen 2013-2016)
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (EG552C/2G/Q1, EG502E/2N/1Y/1M) for MSc in Petroleum Engineering and MSc Oil & Gas Innovation
- Co-lecturer, Flow Assurance (EG55F8/G8, 2013-2016) for MSc in Subsea Engineering and Oil & Gas Engineering
- Guest lecturer, Subsea Production Systems (EG50F9/G9, 2015) for MSc in Subsea Engineering
- Guest lecturer, Chemistry at Interfaces and Enhanced Oil Recovery (CM5037, 2014) for MSc in Oil & Gas Chemistry
- Coordinator, MSc Individual Projects in Renewable Energy (Engineering) (EG5909, - Nov. 2016)
- Thesis supervisor, MSc in Oil & Gas Engineering (EG5908) and Petroleum Engineering (EG5911)
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (EG50HI, EG55HI)
- Environmental Engineering (EA4527, spring 2019)
- Co-lecturer, Fluid Mechanics (EG3018, EM3018, EM3019)
- Co-lecturer, Geotechnics 2 (EG40JE, EA40JE, fall 2013 - Dec 2017)
- Thesis supervisor, BEng/MEng in Civil, Chemical, and Petroleum Engineering (EG4013/4014)
- Further Info
- Reviewer for UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, US National Science Foundation, Israel Science Foundation.
- Reviewer for Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Physics of Fluids, Water Resources Research, Advances in Water Resources, Environmental Fluid Mechanics, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Journal of Hydraulic Research, Aquatic Sciences, Journal of Geophysical Research, Geophysical Research Letters, Geofluids, Journal of Soils and Sediments, Energy & Fuels, Fuel, Transport in Porous Media, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Lab-on-a-Chip, Journal of Petroleum Science & Engineering.
- Reviewer for 6th International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software.
- Session chair, 31st Scottish Fluid Mechanics Meeting 2018.
- Organizing committee, Scottish Fluid Mechanics Meeting 2013, 2018.
- Manager, Subsurface Flow and Transport Laboratory (FN036). Jan. 2015 -
- Manager, Materials Teaching and Petroleum Engineering Laboratory (FN012). Sept. 2012 - Mar. 2015
- Chair, School of Engineering Health & Safety Committee. Nov. 2016 -
- Chair, School of Engineering Committee of Lab Coordinators. Nov. 2016 -
- Deputy Coordinator, School of Engineering Postgraduate Research (PGR) students. Sept. 2014 - June 2018.
- Member, School of Engineering PGR Committee. July 2016 - June 2018.
- Member, University Working Group on PGR Academic Admissions Process. June - Sept. 2017.
- Deputy Programme Leader, MSc Renewable Energy (Engineering). Oct. 2012 - Nov. 2016.
- Member, Postgraduate Special Circumstances Committee. Oct. 2013 - Sept. 2014.
- Member, School of Engineering Working Group on Academic Workload Model. Oct. 2013 -
- Elected Member of the Senatus Academicus, 1 Oct. 2018 - 30 Sept. 2022.
- Martin Family Society Fellowship for Sustainability, 2006 (US$26844.50)
- MIT Presidential Graduate Fellowship Program, 2003 (US$48660)
- The Richard Lee Russel Award, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, MIT, 2003
- Tau Beta Pi Scholarship 2002-2003, Tau Beta Pi, the national engineering honor society (US$2000)
- MIT Washington Summer Internship Program, 2001
- MIT Class of 1972 UROP Fund, 2001
Invited Lectures & Presentations
Universities and National Laboratories
- 27 Feb. 2019: Research Centre for Carbon Solutions, Heriot Watt University.
- 23, 24 Aug. 2018 Training of staff from University of Dar es Salam, Tanzania as part of the EU-funded capacity building project (GA number EDF/2014/3552). At University of Aberdeen.
- July 2014 Neutron Physics Group, National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Jan. 2013 Department of Petroleum Engineering, University of Stavanger.
- Apr. 2012 Division of Civil Engineering, University of Dundee.
- Oct. 2010 Petroleum and Process Technology Research Group, Department of Physics and Technology, University of Bergen.
- Jun. 2010 School of Engineering, University of Warwick.
- Feb. 2010 Hydrodynamics Laboratory, Ecole Polytechnique, France.
- Jan. 2008 Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Cornell University.
- Oct. 2010 Statoil Rotvoll Research Centre, Trondheim.
- Oct. 2010 Numerical Rocks, Trondheim.
Workshops and networks
- Mar. 2014 The Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi.
- Jan. 2013 Porous Media - Processes and Mathematics (PM)2 Research Network kick-off meeting. International Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Edinburgh.
Membership of Professional Bodies and Societies
- Lifetime Member, Society of Core Analysts (SCA).
- Chapter Affiliate, Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA).
- Associate Member of the Energy Institute (EI).
- Member, Scottish Carbon Capture & Storage (SCCS).
- Early Career Researcher Member, UK CCS Research Centre.
- Member, Aberdeen Formation Evaluation Society (AFES).
- Tau Beta Pi Scholar, 2002-03.
- 8 April: Our first formal foray into history matching and centrifuge measurement.
- 20 Mar: Our collaborative application to the Royal Society International Exchange scheme (PI: Amer Syed) was successful! This project builds on our EPSRC grant EP/N021665/1.
- 9 Nov: MICP, XRD, and NMR data on sandstones and limestones from Tanino & Blunt 2012 can now be downloaded from Mendeley Data .
- 12 Sept: Magali Christensen successfully defended her PhD thesis (subject to minor corrections)!
- 23 - 27 July: Yong Sung Park from University of Dundee is visiting us for a week to study the limiting value of advancing contact angles on partially wetted surfaces.
- 5 July: Xanat Zacarias Hernandez has been awarded a SPWLA grant of US$2k to fabricate glass micromoedls in-house.
- 21 May: After 12 months of construction and assembly, Khalifa completed the first lock exchange experiment in the new Aberdeen Tilting Lock Exchange Facility (ATLEF)!
- 17 May: Xanat has been awarded a SCI-RSC Rideal Trust travel bursary of £500 towards attending the Gordon Research Seminar for Flow and Transport in Permeable Media this summer.
- 4 May: Vani, Olalekan, and Xanat have been awarded AFES funding of £1k each.
- 22 Feb.: Khalifa has won a 2017-18 SPE Aberdeen Section Bursary award of £500.
- 12 Feb.: Vani has been awarded a ETP PECRE award of £3k to support her international collaboration with NIST. This builds on our EPSRC grant EP/N021665/1.
- 19 Dec. 2017: Anelechi Ibekwe has been awarded a Society of Chemistry Industry (SCI) travel bursary of £850.
- 15 Dec. 2017: Vani Manoharan has been awarded a Royal Society of Chemistry/Society of Chemistry Industry Rideal travel bursary of £500.
- Our collaboration with NIST is featured in Impact Sept. 2017 issue: 'In-situ imaging of fractured rock and flow through them using simultaneous neutron and X-ray CT'
- 11 July 2017: Xanat Zacarias Hernandez and Vani Manoharan have been awarded a SPWLA Foundation grant for 2017-18.
- 2 Feb. 2017: Vani and Olalekan Ajayi have been awarded AFES funding of £500 each.
- 30 July 2016. Magali Christensen gave an invited presentation at the Gordon Research Seminar for Flow & Transport in Permeable Media held in Girona, Spain.
- 21 July 2016: Olalekan, Anelechi, Muna Walter, and Iton have been awarded Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA) Foundation grants for 2016-17.
- 31 May 2016: Magali has been awarded a SCI travel bursary of £850.
2015 and earlier
- 19 Aug. 2015: Magali gave an oral presentation at the International Symposium of the Society of Core Analysts held in St. John's Newfoundland and Laborador.
- We're featured in Offshore Engineer April 2015 issue: 'Understanding EOR'
- Magali has been awarded a SPWLA Foundation grant for 2014-15.
- Feb. 2014: UK Minister of State for Universities and Science visits lab
- Loli Anggraini (MSc Oil & Gas Engineering 2013) was awarded 2nd prize in the 2013 Energy Institute Aberdeen, Highlands & Islands branch MSc Student Paper Competition for her presentation on "Buckley-Leverett analysis of waterflood oil recovery". The event was hosted by Nexen Petroleum UK Ltd. on 26th Nov. See coverage.
- Blessing Akamairo (PhD candidate) receives a SPWLA Foundation grant for 2013-14.
- Senior Lecturer (associate prof. equivalent), University of Aberdeen. 1 Aug. 2018 - present.
- Adjunct (honorary) Senior Lecturer, School of Engineering, Edith Cowan University 4 June 2018 - 3 June 2021.
- Lecturer (assistant prof.), University of Aberdeen. Sept. 2012 - 31 July 2018.
- Research associate, Imperial College London. Nov. 2009 - Sept. 2012.
- Postdoctoral researcher, Laboratoire Fluides, Automatique et Systèmes Thermiques. Oct. 2008 - Oct. 2009.
- Ph.D. in Environmental Fluid Mechanics, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, MIT (Sept. 2008)
- S.M. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, MIT (Sept. 2004)
- B.S. in Environmental Engineering Science, MIT (June 2003)