2016 - 2025 : Royal Society University Research Fellowship in evolutionary microbial ecology, University of Aberdeen
2012 - 2015 : Early-career NERC Fellowship in evolutionary microbial ecology, University of Aberdeen
2009 - 2012 : Post-doctoral researcher in microbial ecology, University of Aberdeen, JI Prosser and GW Nicol group
2005 - 2008 : PhD student in bacterial population genetics, University of Montpellier (France), under the supervision of G Béna and JC Cleyet-Marel
Memberships and Affiliations
- Internal Memberships
- Member of the School of Biological Sciences Executive Group (2020-present)
- Organiser of the School of Biological Sciences weekly scientific seminar series (2017-present)
- Member of the School of Biological Sciences Research committee (2017-present)
- Member of the University of Aberdeen Strategic Plan meeting (2018)
- External Memberships
Editorial Board: ISME J, Microbiome, Environmental microbiome
Commission of trust: Expert member of the French HCERES (High Council for Evaluation of Research and Higher Education) (2017-present)
Grant panel member: NERC core member, Royal Society Hooke Committee, NERC Pushing the Frontiers, German DFG Priority Program
Conference organisation: XVIth archaeal workshop (2019); Member of local organising committee for the 20th European Nitrogen Cycle Conference (2016) and 14th Symposium on Bacterial Genetics and Ecology (2017)
Grant review: NERC, BBSRC, Royal Society, NSF (USA), DFG (Germany), GACR (Czech Republic)
External PhD examiner
Reviewers for several journals, including Nature Communication, Cell, ISME Journal, Environmental Microbiology, Molecular Biology and Evolution, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, PLOS One, Frontiers in Microbiology, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, Microbial Ecology, Archaea
Membership of professional bodies: SGM (Society of General Microbiology), SMBE (Society of Molecular Biology and Evolution), ISME (International Society of Microbial Ecology), Nitrification network
My research is directed toward understanding ecological adaptation of microorganism populations.
My work interest is orientated on microbial diversity and ecological function for microbes playing fundamental processes in the global biogeochemical cycling of nitrogen. I am currently more focused on microorganisms (both archaea and bacteria) implicated in the ammonia oxidation process.
My fundamental aims are to determine the environmental factors controlling their community structure and diversity and to understand their physiological and evolutionary adaptation.
More details about projects and people on my personal website: https://www.gubry-rangin.com/
Funding and Grants
Awarded as PI
- SUPER-DTP PhD studentship (2022-2026) with T Henry: "The impact of environmental change on the ecological and evolutionary dynamics of symbiotic sponge communities"
- BBSRC Mitigation grant (2022) with M Jaspars: " Improving sustainable agriculture through discovery of new biological nitrification inhibition molecules".
- Royal Society University Research Fellowship extension (2021-2025): "Evolutionary processes associated to archaeal environmental adaptation".
- Royal Society Talent Grant (2020-2021): "Evolution of ammonia oxidation"
- Royal Society Enhancement Grant (2018-2022): "Experimental evolution of Thaumarchaeota".
- NERC standard grant (2017- 2021) with T William: "Evolution of thaumarchaeotal metabolism under contrasting oxygen conditions".
- Royal Society starting grant (2017-2021): "Unravelling the metabolic versatility and diversity of abundant but unexplored terrestrial Thaumarchaeota".
- University of Aberdeen PhD studentship (2017-2021): "Adaptation of Thaumarchaeota in terrestrial environments".
- NERC Directed grant (2017-2018): "Greenhouse gas emissions by soil microbes in tropical forest".
- Royal Society University Research Fellowship (2016-2021): "Adaptation in Thaumarchaeota: the interplay between ecology and evolution".
- NERC Biomolecular Analysis Facility Application (2015): "Single-cell comparative genomics of Thaumarchaeota".
- Early career NERC Independent Fellowship (2012-2016): “Evolutionary adaptation in archaea”.
- PhD studentship (2013-2016) funded by the Centre for Genome-Enabled Biology and Medicine: “Unravelling the unknown function of an under-explored but abundant archaeal group using single-cell genomics”.
- NERC Biomolecular Analysis Facility Application (2013): “Phylogenetic resolution and coherence in thaumarchaea”.
- NERC Biomolecular Analysis Facility Application (2013): “Evolutionary adaptation in archaea- community sequencing”.
- MRT (French Research Ministry) Postgraduate Scholarship (2005-2008)
- European ERASMUS Traineeship Grant (2004)
- ESA (European Space Agency) Traineeship Grant (2003)
Awarded as CoI
- BBSRC Mitigation grant (2022) with S Sepehrnia, P Hallett, Y Tanino: "Complex DNA-based tracers to investigate the transport of microbes in soil"
- Post-doctoral Daphne Jackson Fellowship (Dr Lisa Cole) (2021-2023) with A Malik, J Travis
- Post-doctoral Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowship (Dr Nasrollah Sepehrnia) (2021-2023) with P Hallett, Y Tanino: "TRAMPAS"
- Internal Interdisciplinary Research Grant (2021) with T Mathanlal, J Martin-Torres, MP Zorzano: "Autonomous Robotic Sampling of Bio-Aerosols for real-time DNA sequencing using MinION sequencer"
- Internal Interdisciplinary Research Grant (2021) with M Nazarious, J Martin-Torres: "Sub-liquid and Atmospheric Measurement"
- EastBio DTP PhD studentship (2020-2024) with M Wenzel: "Using functional genomics and epigenetics to understand the molecular underpinnings of complex behaviour in a non-neural organism"
- Post-doctoral NERC standard grant (2014-2018) with JI Prosser, GW Nicol: “Soil ammonia oxidisers: an embarrassment of richness?”
- NERC Directed international grant (2018-2021) with J Travis, L Lancaster, G Bocedi, A Algar, A Papadopoulos: "Forecasting biodiversity losses in Wallacea from ecological and evolutionary patterns and processes"
3 PhD students, 1 MSc student.
- Meet the scientists
Lectures at undergraduate level:
- Ocean Biology
- Diversity of life
Page 1 of 5 Results 1 to 10 of 46
Impact of Phylogenetic Tree Completeness and Misspecification of Sampling Fractions on Trait Dependent Diversification ModelsSystematic Biology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 106-119Contributions to Journals: Articles
The missing link in biogeographic reconstruction: Accounting for lineage extinction rewrites historyJournal of Biogeography, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 1941-1951Contributions to Journals: Articles
Reconstruction of state-dependent diversification: integrating phenotypic traits into molecular phylogeniesEnvironmental Microbial Evolution. Springer NatureChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Chapters
Rooting species trees using gene tree-species tree reconciliationEnvironmental Microbial Evolution. Springer NatureChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Chapters
Recovery of Lutacidiplasmatales archaeal order genomes suggests convergent evolution in ThermoplasmatotaNature Communications, vol. 13, 4110Contributions to Journals: Articles
Fauxcurrence: simulating multi-species occurrences for null models in species distribution modelling and biogeographyEcography, vol. 2022, no. 7, e05880Contributions to Journals: Articles
ForewordBiology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 58, pp. 193-194Contributions to Journals: Editorials
Chronic environmental perturbation influences microbial community assembly patternsEnvironmental Science & Technology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 2300-2311Contributions to Journals: Articles
Long-Term Adaptation of Acidophilic Archaeal Ammonia Oxidisers Following Different Soil Fertilisation HistoriesMicrobial Ecology, vol. 83, pp. 424-435Contributions to Journals: Articles
Revisiting plant biological nitrification inhibition efficiency using multiple archaeal and bacterial ammonia-oxidising culturesBiology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 58, pp. 241-249Contributions to Journals: Articles