Please note: Some buildings may be closed or subject to limited access. All our buildings are subject to Covid-19 physical distancing and hygiene practises.
The Fraser Noble Building houses the School of Engineering and the Department of Mathematics.
The building was opened as the Natural Philosophy Department in 1963 by Sir G P Thomson, former Professor of Natural Philosophy at Aberdeen who won the Nobel Prize in Physics for the work that he did here in the late 1920s.
In this work he demonstrated that electrons could be diffracted by atoms in the same way that light waves are diffracted by very small objects. This wavelike behaviour of entities formerly thought of as particles was at the very foundation of the new physics of quantum mechanics that was being developed in the 1920s. G P Thomson was the son of J J Thomson, who discovered the existence of electrons in 1897.
The Fraser Noble Building is named in recognition of the valuable services to the University of Sir Fraser Noble MBE, MA, LLD, FRSE Principal and Vice Chancellor 1976 - 1981.
The building was erected in 1963 and after extensive refurbishment was formally re-opened by Sir Fraser Noble on 16 November 1988.