Dr Claudia Fernandez Martin
Lecturer in Chemical Engineering
Lecturer in Chemical Engineering (University of Aberdeen)
Research Fellow. School of Engineering (Chemical Engineering), Institute for Materials and Processes, The University of Edinburgh (United Kingdom).
EPSRC Project: Feasibility of a wetting layer absorption carbon capture process based on chemical solvents (EP/J019720/1).
Research Associate, INCAR-CSIC (Spain)
Researcher at the “Energy Processes and Emission Reduction Group”, Department of Coal, Energy and Environment, at the National Institute of Coal, Spanish Council for Scientific Research (INCAR-CSIC).
Pre-doctoral Fellow, INCAR-CSIC (Spain)
Funded by the highly competitive Spanish Research Funding Body studentship ‘JAE-Pre’ pre-doctoral Grant. PhD topic: CO2 Capture “Energy Processes and Emission Reduction Group”, Department of Coal, Energy and Environment. National Institute of Coal, Spanish Council for Scientific Research (INCAR-CSIC).
PhD (2011): “Microporous adsorbents from organic polymers. Application in precombustion CO2 capture processes”. Summa Cum Laude. Department of Energy, University of Oviedo (Spain).
MSc (2009): Master on Research in Technology, Diversification, Quality and Energy Saving (Quality Mention). Title: “Development of adsorbents from phenolic resins for precombustion CO2 capture” (June 2009). Distintion Department of Energy, University of Oviedo (Spain).
MEng in Environmental Sciences, 1st Class. University of Granada (Spain).
Memberships and Affiliations
- Internal Memberships
Coordinator of Levels 4 & 5 School of Engineering
Coordinator of the Environmental & Biodiversity Theme, School of Engineering
Champion of the Circular Economy Theme (Centre for Energy Transition), UoA
Deputy Champion in Carbon Capture Utilisation and Storage CCS, UoA
Academic Member of the UKCCSRC (UK Carbon Capture and Storage Research Centre)
Course coordinator: EA4527, Environmental Engineering
- External Memberships
CURRENT FUNDED PHD OPPORTUNITIES at the University of Aberdeen:
DO NOT MISS OUT THIS CURRENT OPPORTUNITY!!: Carnegie PhD Scholarships:
Funding: Stipend for living expenses, UK home-rate tuition fees and research allowance. Visit the link for further information, and do not hesitate to email me indicating 'Carnegie PhD Scholarship' in the subject of your email: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/funding/10
Other Student Opportunities:
If you are an engineering or science student who would like to do a project in any topic of my research area, please do not hesitate to send me an email.
PhD Placements and Supervisor Mobility Grants China-UK
UK-China PhD Placement Programme
This opportunity is open to students currently enrolled in a PhD Programme in China who would like to come to do a placement at an accredited higher education institution or research institution in the UK.
If yoo meet the eligibility criteria and are interested in coming to the University of Aberdeen to do high quality research, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Further information can be found in the following link:
My research interests are focused on the following topics:
- Materials and gas separation processes by means of adsorption for carbon capture. It includes the following:
- Synthesis of advanced and novel materials for post and pre-combustion CO2 capture, such as organic polymers, carbon-based adsorbents, low-cost biomass-based adsorbents, amine impregnated silicon-based adsorbents, polymeric and hybrid membranes, etc.
-Characterization of the adsorbents: textural and chemical characterisation, thermogravimetric analysis, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), FTIR spectroscopy, etc.
- Enhancement of the CO2 recovery on carbon capture processes by means of novel and energetically more efficient technologies for the regeneration. It involves the experimental study in a bench-scale fixed adsorption column.
-Design and construction of lab-scale set-ups for continuous dynamic carbon capture measurements.
- Recycling of polymeric waste: catalytic pyrolysis of mixed polymeric waste for the conversion into added-value chemicals and/or materials.
- Biofuel production
- Enviromental Impact Assessment (EIA) of the oil and gas activities in the North Sea
- Intensification of carbon capture processes (CCS) using advanced regeneration technologies
- Materials for gas separation: greener and intensified synthesis of advanced sorbents for gas separation, specifically CO2 capture and CH4 upgrading
Bioenergy and low-carbon fuel technologies:
Microwave-assisted catalytic pyrolysis
- Environmental Engineering (EA4527): coordinator
- BEng Individual Project (EG4014)
- MEng Individual Project (EG4013)
- Air & Water Pollution Control (EX501U)
- BEng Group Design Project (EG4578)
- MEng Group Design (EG5565)
- Energy from Biomass (EG50M1/EG504A): on campus and online
- MSc Individual Project in:
- Petroleum Engineering (EG552K, KE5901)
- Oil & Gas Chemistry (EG552L)
- Renewable Energy (EG59M1)
- Advanced Chemical Engineering (EG59M9)
Page 1 of 5 Results 1 to 10 of 42
Microwave pre-treatment of model food waste to produce short chain organic acids and ethanol via anaerobic fermentationProcessesContributions to Specialist Publications: Articles
Microwave Research at the School of Engineering University of AberdeenAmpere Newsletter: Trends in RF and Microwave Heating, pp. 4-5Contributions to Specialist Publications: Articles
Assessment of an integrated adsorption-regenerative catalytic oxidation process for the harnessing of lean methane emissionsJournal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, vol. 10, no. 1, 107013Contributions to Journals: Articles
A systematic analysis of the dynamics of microwave- and conventionally-assisted swing adsorption on zeolite 13X and an activated carbon under post-combustion carbon capture conditionsJournal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, vol. 9, no. 6, 106835Contributions to Journals: Articles
Effects of the heating source on the regeneration performance of different adsorbents under post-combustion carbon capture cyclic operations: A comparative analysisSeparation and Purification Technology, vol. 276, 119326Contributions to Journals: Articles
Anaerobic fermentation for the production of short chain organic acids: product concentration, yield and productivity in batch experiments at high feed concentrationJournal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, vol. 9, no. 5, 106311Contributions to Journals: Articles
Molecular Dynamics Simulation of the Interactions between Carbon Dioxide and a Natural-Based Carbonaceous Microporous MaterialChemical Engineering Transactions, vol. 86, pp. 1111-1116Contributions to Journals: Review articles
A comparative analysis of microwave-assisted regeneration against conventional regeneration for post-combustion carbon captureContributions to Conferences: Papers
Product Concentration, Yield and Productivity in Anaerobic Digestion to Produce Short Chain Organic Acids: A Critical Analysis of Literature DataProcesses, vol. 8, no. 12, 1538Contributions to Journals: Articles
Modelling & characterisation of sustainable adsorbents for CO2 captureContributions to Conferences: Abstracts