- Our collaboration with NIST is featured in Impact Sept. 2017 issue: 'In-situ imaging of fractured rock and flow through them using simultaneous neutron and X-ray CT'
- We're featured in Offshore Engineer April 2015 issue: 'Understanding EOR'
- Feb. 2014: UK Minister of State for Universities and Science visits lab.
- MSc student receives 2nd prize for her thesis in the 2013 Energy Institute (Aberdeen, Highlands & Islands branch) competition: http://www.energyinst.org/media-relations/media-centre/348 .
Dr. Yukie Tanino is a Lecturer in the School of Engineering at University of Aberdeen. Prior to joining the University in 2012, she was a postdoctoral research associate in the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London (2009-2012) and in Laboratoire Fluides, Automatique et Systèmes Thermiques in France (2008-2009). Dr. Tanino holds a B.S. (Environmental Engineering Science), M.S. (Civil and Environmental Engineering), and PhD (Environmental Fluid Mechanics) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Dr. Tanino’s research interests are in the fluid dynamics of, and mass transport in, obstructed flows such as those found in geological reservoirs, groundwater aquifers, and flood plains. At Aberdeen Dr. Tanino leads the Subsurface Flow and Transport Laboratory located in the School of Engineering, and currently supervises/co-supervises 10 PhD students in the School of Engineering. She also teaches enhanced oil recovery to students on the MSc and MEng programmes in Petroleum Engineering.
- Multi-phase flow in porous media.
- Buoyancy-driven flows.
- Instability and turbulence in stratified shear flows under confinement.
- Turbulence and mass transport in random cylinder arrays.
- Techniques used include:
- ADV, LDV, PIV
- LIF, PLIF
- pore-network simulation
- X-ray microtomography
- neutron and X-ray imaging
STRATIFIED SHEAR FLOWS
- Water/polymer exchange flows in inclined pipes. Student: Mohamed Khalifa Habeeb Mohamed [with Dominic van der A].
TWO-PHASE POROUS MEDIA FLOW UNDER MIXED-WET CONDITIONS
- Impact of wettability on waterflood oil recovery. Student: Magali Christensen [PhD candidate, 2018].
- Thermally-driven inversions in reservoir wettability and its impact on oil recovery. Student: Mohammad Sarlak [with Jim Anderson].
LINKING MACROSCOPIC PROPERTIES TO PORE-SCALE FLUID DISTRIBUTION
- Pore-scale imaging of two-phase flow: linking in-situ contact angles to bulk properties. Student: Anelechi Ibekwe [with Dubravka Pokrajac].
- Dynamic, pore-scale imaging of two-phase flow in geological porous media. Student: Olalekan Ajayi.
CAPILLARY DISCONTINUITIES IN POROUS MEDIA
- Initiation and flow through fractures: characterization using neutron and X-ray CT. Student: Girvani Manoharan [with Amer Syed and Andy Welch].
- Impact of discontinuties in grain shape and size on oil recovery. Student: Xanat Zacarias Hernandez.
- Amer Syed, School of Engineering, Aberdeen
- Andy Welch, School of Medicine & Dentistry, Aberdeen
- Jacob LaManna, NIST (US)
- David L Jacobson, NIST (US)
- Daniel S Hussey, NIST (US)
- Jean-Pierre Hulin, Laboratoire FAST (France)
- Frederic Moisy, Laboratoire FAST (France)
- Martin J Blunt, Imperial College London
- Heidi M Nepf, MIT (US)
Our research is supported by:
- UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Overseas Travel Grant (2016 - Feb. 2018, £20.6k)
- UK Natural Environment Research Council IODP Phase 2 (with Stephen Bowden (PI); Dec. 2016 - Sept. 2017, £35.4k)
- COREX (UK) Ltd. (2015-2020, £41.4k)
- Royal Society Research Grant (2014-2015, £15k)
- The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland Research Grant (2014-2015, £2.5k)
- University of Aberdeen Chevron Fund (2014)
- University of Aberdeen Principal's Interdisciplinary Fund (2014)
- University of Aberdeen Principal's Excellence Fund (2014)
- David B Smith donation to the School of Engineering (2012)
- Mexican National Council for Science and Technology PhD studentship (X. Zacarias Hernandez 2016-2019, £64.1k)
- Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA) Foundation grant
- G. Manoharan US$3.5k
- X. Zacarias Hernandez 2017 US$2.5k
- O. Ajayi, 2016 US$1.5k
- A. Ibekwe, 2016 US$2.5k
- M. Walter, 2016
- M. Christensen, 2014 US$2k
- B. Akamairo, 2013
- Aberdeen Formation Evaluation Society (AFES) bursary
- X. Zacarias Hernandez 2017
- G. Manoharan 2017 £500
- M. Christensen 2013, 2014, 2015
- B. Akamairo, 2015
- University of Aberdeen PhD studentship
- M. K. Habeeb Mohamed 2016-2019
- O. A. Ajayi 2015-2018
- College of Physical Sciences PhD studentship (M. Christensen 2013-2016)
- Thesis supervisor, MSc in Oil & Gas Engineering (EG5908) and Petroleum Engineering (EG5911)
- Co-lecturer, Enhanced Oil Recovery (EG552C/2G/Q1, EG502E/2N/1Y/1M) for MSc in Petroleum Engineering
- Co-lecturer, Flow Assurance (EG55F8/G8, 2013-2016) for MSc in Subsea Engineering and Oil & Gas Engineering
- Guest lecturer, Subsea Production Systems (EG50F9/G9, 2015) for MSc in Subsea Engineering
- Guest lecturer, Chemistry at Interfaces and Enhanced Oil Recovery (CM5037, 2014) for MSc in Oil & Gas Chemistry
- Thesis supervisor, BEng/MEng in Civil Engineering and Petroleum Engineering (EG4013/4014)
- Co-lecturer, Enhanced Oil Recovery (EG50HI, EG55HI)
- Co-lecturer, Geotechnics 2 (EG40JE, EA40JE)
- Co-lecturer, Fluid Mechanics (EG3018, EM3018, EM3019)
- Further Info
- Reviewer for Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Water Resources Research, Lab-on-a-Chip, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Journal of Hydraulic Research, Aquatic Sciences, Physics of Fluids, Journal of Geophysical Research, Transport in Porous Media, Geofluids, Journal of Soils and Sediments, Environmental Fluid Mechanics, Energy & Fuels, Fuel.
- Reviewer for UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, US National Science Foundation, Israel Science Foundation.
- Reviewer for 6th International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software.
- Organizing committee, 2013 Scottish Fluid Mechanics Meeting.
- Manager, Subsurface Flow and Transport Laboratory
- Chair, School of Engineering H & S Committee
- Chair, School of Engineering Committee of Lab Coordinators
- Member, University Working Group on Postgraduate Research (PGR) Academic Admissions Process
- Coordinator, School of Engineering PGR Admissions
- Member, School of Engineering PGR Committee
- Member, School of Engineering Working Group on Academic Workload Model
- Martin Family Society Fellowship for Sustainability, 2006 (US$26844.50)
- MIT Presidential Graduate Fellowship Program, 2003 (US$48660)
- The Richard Lee Russel Award, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, MIT, 2003
- Tau Beta Pi Scholarship 2002-2003, Tau Beta Pi, the national engineering honor society (US$2000)
- MIT Washington Summer Internship Program, 2001
- MIT Class of 1972 UROP Fund, 2001
Invited Lectures & Presentations
Universities and National Laboratories
- July 2014 Neutron Physics Group, National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Jan. 2013 Department of Petroleum Engineering, University of Stavanger.
- Apr. 2012 Division of Civil Engineering, University of Dundee.
- Oct. 2010 Petroleum and Process Technology Research Group, Department of Physics and Technology, University of Bergen.
- Jun. 2010 School of Engineering, University of Warwick.
- Feb. 2010 Hydrodynamics Laboratory, Ecole Polytechnique, France.
- Jan. 2008 Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Cornell University.
- Oct. 2010 Statoil Rotvoll Research Centre, Trondheim.
- Oct. 2010 Numerical Rocks, Trondheim.
Workshops and networks
- Mar. 2014 The Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi.
- Jan. 2013 Porous Media - Processes and Mathematics (PM)2 Research Network kick-off meeting. International Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Edinburgh.
- 11 July 2017: Xanat Zacarias Hernandez and Vani Manoharan have been awarded a SPWLA Foundation grant for 2017-18!
- 2 Feb. 2017: Vani Manoharan and Olalekan Ajayi have been awarded AFES funding of £500 each.
- 30 July 2016. Magali Christensen gave an invited presentation at the Gordon Research Seminar for Flow & Transport in Permeable Media held in Girona, Spain.
- 21 July 2016: Olalekan, Anelechi Ibekwe, Muna Walter, and Iton have been awarded Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA) Foundation grants for 2016-17.
- 31 May 2016: Magali has been awarded a SCI travel bursary of £850.
- May 2016: Olalekan gave an oral presentation at the Scottish Fluid Mechanics Meeting.
- 19 Aug. 2015: Magali gave an oral presentation at the International Symposium of the Society of Core Analysts held in St. John's Newfoundland and Laborador.
- We're featured in Offshore Engineer April 2015 issue: 'Understanding EOR'
- Magali has been awarded a SPWLA Foundation grant for 2014-15.
- Loli Anggraini (MSc Oil & Gas Engineering 2013) was awarded 2nd prize in the 2013 Energy Institute Aberdeen, Highlands & Islands branch MSc Student Paper Competition for her presentation on "Buckley-Leverett analysis of waterflood oil recovery". The event was hosted by Nexen Petroleum UK Ltd. on 26th Nov. See coverage.
- Blessing Akamairo (PhD candidate) receives a SPWLA Foundation grant for 2013-14.
- Lecturer, University of Aberdeen. Sept. 2012 - present.
- Research associate, Imperial College London. Nov. 2009 - Sept. 2012.
- Postdoctoral researcher, Laboratoire Fluides, Automatique et Systèmes Thermiques. Oct. 2008 - Oct. 2009.
- Ph.D. in Environmental Fluid Mechanics, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, MIT (Sept. 2008)
- S.M. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, MIT (Sept. 2004)
- B.S. in Environmental Engineering Science, MIT (June 2003)