Worried about money? Need advice on how to manage your money wisely?
Student Advice & Support Office (SASO)
If you are experiencing financial difficulties and would like to discuss your personal circumstances with a Student Advice and Support adviser, you should contact the Student Advice and Support Office and ask for an appointment with a Student Advice Support Adviser.
The University has funds, primarily from the Government’s Discretionary Funds, to help undergraduate and postgraduate students financially – usually by a non-repayable award. Once you have registered, you may be eligible to apply for assistance from this fund: we’ll normally ask you for evidence, such as your Award/Student Loan Letter, bank statement, rent etc
- UK undergraduates and PGDE students must have applied for the maximum Student Loan amount available to them.
- Awards will be made only for unexpected and/or exceptional circumstances: we can’t assist with tuition fees, normal living costs or missing parental contributions.
- Having had a previous award does not guarantee another award.
The Childcare fund provides assistance with the formal childcare expenses for dependant children. Formal childcare includes registered childminders, after-school clubs, and providers of day care and education.
Only full-time UK undergraduates and PGDE students are eligible to apply for this fund.
- Part-time students and other postgraduate students are not eligible to apply, but can apply for similar support from the Discretionary Fund.
- Your personal and financial circumstances and those of your partner or spouse, if applicable, will be taken into account by the Assessor.
- Only the costs of formal, registered childcare may be met from the Fund.
Applications can be picked up from the front of the Reception Desk at Student Support Services, Second Floor of The Students' Union Building, Elphinstone Road, Aberdeen, AB24 3TU.
We can usually give you a decision, by letter, within 3 weeks of receiving your application.
There are various sources of financial support which might be available to you during your studies. Our Bursaries & scholarships webpage directs you to a range of information on bursaries, scholarships, PhD vacancies and external sources of funding relevant to you.
Some scholarships might be available through your School, in which case further information will be available on the School’s web pages.