Details on the different funding bodies for undergraduate students, fee rates and information on how to make a payment as well as bursaries, scholarships and financial support for students.

Council Tax

Undergraduate students

Council Tax is a local tax payable to the Local Authority. Students should not require Council Tax Certificates as lists of all full-time registered students are sent to Aberdeen City Council at the start of each academic year. However, if you pay Council Tax to another Authority or encounter problems with Aberdeen City Council you can obtain a Council Tax Certificate from the Infohub.

Postgraduate Taught students

If you are a full-time taught student, you are automatically exempt from paying Council tax. You can ask for a confirmation of your student status at the Infohub.

Postgraduate Research students

If you were a full-time student during your supervised study period, and you live in Aberdeen, you can apply for council tax exemption for up to 12 months if you have applied for an extension for writing-up.

Please note that this is an agreement with Aberdeen City Council only, and is for a maximum of 12 months from completion of your supervised study period.

Additional Information

Aberdeen City Council defines a full-time student as "a person who is studying for at least 21 hours per week, who is required to attend for at least 24 weeks per year and whose course lasts for at least one academic year."

Part-time students who satisfy the above criteria and need a letter for Council Tax purposes can apply for a confirmation of registration letter from the Online Store. When placing the order, these students should use the Additional Information text box to note that the confirmation of registration letter is for Council Tax purposes. (This only applies to undergraduate and postgraduate taught students because postgraduate research students already have a process in place.)

Aberdeen-based students who need to apply for Council Tax exemption or discount can do this through the Aberdeen City Council website. If students have any other specific enquiries regarding their Council Tax they can contact Aberdeen City Council directly.

Student Loans