Money Matters

Coming to university can be a big change, and for many it will be the first time you’re managing your own money. This may seem daunting, but not to worry! We have outlined a few money matters tips below.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties and would like to discuss your personal circumstances with an adviser who specialises in money advice, you should contact us to make an appointment with a Student Support Adviser. We can provide advice about student loans, loans from other sources, budgeting and financial assistance for students. We can also help you to make contact with your funding body if you are having issues, and we can signpost you to other services who can assist you with money advice.

Budgeting & Money Saving

Coming to University can be a big change, and for many it’s the first time you’re having to manage your own money. This might seem daunting, but don’t worry, there are plenty of ways to control your spending and even save money while at University. Visit the New Student website for advice and to download the personal budget planner to help you keep an eye on your finances.

Advice for New Students

New students are advised to ensure that they have applied for their student finance by the date stipulated by their funding provider, i.e. SAAS or Student Finance England.

Please be aware that the payment of student finance is dependent on completion of registration and there can often be delays in receiving the first payment. With this in mind, we recommend that all new students arrive with enough money to cover their living expenses for the first month at University.

For many people entering higher education, university will be their first experience of independently managing personal finances. The University runs orientation sessions for advice on how to manage your money during your time at university. This includes topics like budgeting, tips for setting up a bank account, and a run-down of the different support services available to you for assistance with money matters. You can view more information on the Orientation Sessions on the New Student Website.

Childcare Fund

The Childcare Fund provides assistance with the formal childcare expenses for dependant children.  Formal childcare includes registered childminders, after-school clubs, and providers of day care and education.

Am I eligible to apply to the Childcare Fund?

If you wish to apply please read the Childcare Fund Guidelines, complete the Childcare Fund Application form and return in person to the Reception Desk at Student Advice and Support Office, Top Floor of The Students' Union Building, Elphinstone Road, Aberdeen, AB24 3TU.

If you have any queries please read our FAQs.  If your query is not listed please email or call 01224 273935.

Please note that the childcare fund can assist with costs during term-time only.

Discretionary Fund

The Discretionary Fund is available to UK full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students.  Some UK part-time students may also be eligible.  Once you are registered, please come and speak to us about applying.  This is usually a non-repayable award.

Am I eligible to apply to the Discretionary Fund?

Awards will be made only for unexpected and/or exceptional circumstances: we can not assist with tuition fees, normal living costs or missing parental contributions. We cannot assist with anticipated financial need.

If you wish to apply please read the Discretionary Fund Guidelines, complete the Discretionary Fund Application Form and return by email to, We can usually give you a decision within 3 weeks of receiving your application.  If you are unable to edit a PdF form please complete and submit this Discretionary Form.

If you have any queries please read our FAQs.  If your query is not listed please email





525 Bursary Fund

Open to all full-time and part-time students irrespective of fee status, the 525 Bursary Fund is supported by the generosity of alumni and friends of the University to provide current students with financial relief through bursaries up to the value of £525. Unlike other University funds, receiving a 525 Bursary would not preclude you from being considered for other University scholarships or bursaries. Likewise, those are already in receipt of a University scholarship or bursary are welcome to apply for a 525 Bursary.

If you wish to apply and you are a UK resident please complete and return a Discretionary Application to along with your evidence to show that you are in financial hardship.  If you are an EU/International student please complete and return a Hardship Application to

If you have any questions please email

Emergency Financial Assistance

If you are experiencing a financial emergency, please contact us to make an appointment with a Student Support Adviser. They can provide advice about how to manage your finances and in some cases we may be able to provide a short-term loan or food vouchers for those in extreme, unexpected, financial circumstances.

Fees and Funding Opportunities

Please visit the Fees and Funding section which provides information about tuition fees and bursaries and scholarships.

Financial Assistance for EU/International Students

If you are experiencing a financial emergency, please contact AUSA.