Choose a language course as part of your degree – and enhance your employability!
Arabic – Chinese – French – Gaelic – German – Swedish - Spanish
One thing about the 21st century is certain: you’ll need to be more versatile and more adaptable than ever before to meet the challenges of life and work. At Aberdeen we believe this demands additional skills, and no skill is more important for today's global citizens than the ability to communicate in another language.
All students at the University of Aberdeen have the opportunity to study a Modern Language during the first two years of their degree.
You can choose from the following:
- Arabic (for beginners, Years 1 and 2)
- French (beginner, intermediate or advanced)
- Gaelic (beginner, intermediate or advanced)
- German (beginner, intermediate)
- Mandarin Chinese (for beginners, available Years 1-3)
- Swedish (for beginners, Years 1 and 2)
- Spanish (for beginners, Intermediate or Advanced)
If you choose to follow a sequence of courses in one language across both Years 1 and 2, your achievement will be noted on your degree transcript as part of a "Sustained Studies" programme.
Full details of these courses can be found in the Catalogue of Courses
With another language you can:
- enhance your CV
- access new, global opportunities
- expand your options to study abroad
- broaden your understanding of other cultures, ideas and people Full Language programmes are also available as Single Honours and Joint Honours degrees
Our staff and students are answering your questions about studying in Aberdeen: