French at Aberdeen has an outstanding reputation, top-rated for teaching, with broad, flexible and diverse programmes covering language, literature, history and culture, researching topics from the Middle Ages to the present day and the Caribbean to North Africa. You will have five or four-year options, study periods abroad, and many subject combinations for which a major European language adds huge advantage in today's world.
We offer a range of French degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
French at Aberdeen has a long-standing reputation for teaching and research, exploring topics from the Middle Ages to the present day and the Caribbean to North Africa.
You can study our undergraduate language courses at all levels, adding courses covering film, contemporary civilization, history and culture.
Our flexible courses also invite you to combine French studies with almost any other subject, so you can tailor your degree to suit your own particular needs and interests.
You will add to your growing language skills with courses in film, contemporary civilization and culture, Francophone and post-colonial studies, philosophy, history, sociology, linguistics, theatre, and most genres and periods of literature from the middle ages to the present day.
You will be taught by staff recognised internationally for their research, from Medieval Studies to the politics of culture and difference in contemporary France. At Honours level you will have the opportunity to study topics in which our staff are leading experts.
Single Honours in French Studies, and most Joint Honours with French are available either as Mode A degrees (5 years) including a full academic year spent in a French-speaking country, or as Mode B degrees (4 years) including half a year spent in a French-speaking country. For both Mode A and Mode B, the first and second year is identical, so you do not need to decide between Mode A and Mode B until the December of the second year. We strongly recommend that you apply for the Mode A option.
In Aberdeen you will thrive in our friendly and dynamic international community, on our beautiful medieval campus with great facilities for learning, sports and leisure, and the many opportunities to develop extra skills and interests, and to gain the competitive advantage for whichever career path you choose.
Available Programmes of Study
Single Honours Degrees
Joint Honours Degrees
- French and Gaelic Studies
- French and Geography
- French and German
- French and History
- French and History (5 years)
- French and History of Art
- French and History of Art (5 years)
- French and International Relations
- French and International Relations (5 years)
- French and Language & Linguistics
- French and Language & Linguistics (5 years)
- French and Legal Studies
- French and Legal Studies (5 years)
- French and Philosophy
- French and Philosophy (5 years)
- French and Politics
- French and Politics (5 years)
- French and Sociology
- French and Sociology (5 years)
- French and Spanish & Latin American Studies
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
You may also be interested in...
Joint Honours Degrees
- Accountancy and French
- Anthropology and French
- Anthropology and French (5 years)
- Business Management and French
- Business Management and French (5 years)
- Celtic & Anglo-Saxon Studies and French
- Celtic & Anglo-Saxon Studies and French (5 years)
- Economics and French
- Economics and French (5 years)
- English and French
- English and French (5 years)
- Film & Visual Culture and French
- Film & Visual Culture and French (5 years)
- Finance and French
- Finance and French (5 years)
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
Why Study French at Aberdeen?
- French at Aberdeen gained the highest possible rating of ‘Excellent’ in the last national Scottish Teaching Quality Assessment.
- A vibrant international community on campus and across Aberdeen and north-east Scotland, with many French and French-speaking students, staff and activities on campus and across the region.
- A dynamic French Society, organising social and topical events throughout the year, and a brilliant way to get to know other students studying or speaking French.
- The spectacular, award-winning Sir Duncan Rice Library, with stunning study facilities, state-of-the-art learning technology, and a first-class collection of French books and films for your course.
- A packed campus programme of events, exhibitions, invited speakers and the popular annual May Festival which welcomes international figures, experts, authors and scientists to campus every spring, with an increasingly European flavour.
- Your year abroad as a language assistant or visiting student at locations including Lyon, Rennes, Grenoble, Réunion, Brussels, Geneva, Lausanne, the IFP (Institute of French Petroleum) School in Paris and the Club des Langues in Anglet.
- International recognition as a centre for study and research in French, with research covering not only France, but also French-speaking Africa and the Caribbean.
We are hosting a series of Little Lectures to mark our 525th anniversary.
The lectures are a great opportunity to get to know our experts.View Lecture Schedule
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions Service
University of Aberdeen