German at Aberdeen has an outstanding reputation, top-rated for teaching, with broad, flexible and diverse programmes covering language, literature, history and culture, with four or five-year options, study periods abroad, and many subject combinations for which a major European language adds huge advantage in today's world.
We offer a range of German degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
German at Aberdeen has an outstanding reputation with the highest possible rating of ‘Excellent’ in the last national Teaching Quality Assessment.
You will gain a solid grounding in the German language whatever your level, taught by native speakers from Germany and Austria, and a broad understanding of culture in the German-speaking world.
You will take courses in social, historical and cultural aspects of these countries, and encounter the world of German artistic expression in the form of literature, film and art, together with a deeper understanding of Germany’s complex history.
You will also enjoy many informal opportunities to practise your growing language skills and cultural familiarity through German-themed societies, events and the student drama group.
For both Single Honours in German Studies and most Joint Honours with German, 5-year and 4-year options are available. The 5-year option includes a full academic year spent in a German-speaking country, while the 4-year option includes half a year spent in a German-speaking country. In both cases, the programme for first and second year is identical, so you do not need to decide until December of your second year. We strongly recommend that you apply for the 5-year option in the first instance; this is particularly relevant for beginners.
On graduation you have many choices. Our German graduates secure a wide range of challenging jobs in the UK and abroad and recent graduates are working in industry, politics, EU administration, local government, and teaching, while others have gone on to further study in the UK or abroad.
In Aberdeen you will thrive in our friendly and dynamic international community, on our beautiful campus with great facilities for learning, sports and leisure, and the many opportunities to develop extra skills and interests, and to gain the competitive advantage for whatever career path you choose.
Available Programmes of Study
Single Honours Degrees
Joint Honours Degrees
- German and History (5 years)
- German and International Relations (5 years)
- German and Language & Linguistics
- German and Language & Linguistics (5 years)
- German and Legal Studies (5 years)
- German and Mathematics
- German and Philosophy (5 years)
- German and Politics (5 years)
- German and Sociology (5 years)
- German and Spanish & Latin American Studies
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
You may also be interested in...
Joint Honours Degrees
- Accountancy and German
- Anthropology and German (5 years)
- Business Management and German (5 years)
- Celtic & Anglo-Saxon Studies and German (5 years)
- Economics and German
- Economics and German (5 years)
- English and German (5 years)
- Film & Visual Culture and German (5 years)
- Finance and German (5 years)
- French and German
- Gaelic Studies and German
- Geography and German
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
Why Study German at Aberdeen?
- The highest possible rating of ‘Excellent’ in the last Scottish national Teaching Quality Assessment.
- A vibrant international community on campus and across the region, with many German-speaking students, staff and activities to get involved in and practise your language skills.
- German Society open to all students interested in German and the German-speaking countries, organising drama performances and other events such as Kaffee and Kuchen, a German Stammtisch, film showings, and visits by German speakers and writers.
- German Drama Group providing a great opportunity to produce an annual play, widen your language skills and meet other German students studying in Aberdeen. Previous years included works of 20th century dramatists Dürrenmatt, Borchert and Horvath.
- Opportunities to study the rich literature and culture of Austria and Switzerland in addition to Germany.
- A packed campus programme of events, exhibitions, seminars, invited speakers and the popular annual May Festival which welcomes international figures, experts, authors and scientists to campus every spring, with an increasingly European flavour.
- Your period abroad as a language assistant or visiting student - we have exchange scholarships with the Universities of Zurich, Kiel and Greifswald, and Erasmus partners including Leipzig, Cologne, Bonn, Trier and Graz in Austria.
- The spectacular, award-winning Sir Duncan Rice Library, with fabulous study facilities, state-of-the-art technology, and an extensive German collection to inspire your studies.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions Service
University of Aberdeen