This page refers to external examining of taught courses and programmes. Details for external examining of postgraduate research is available at the Postgraduate Research webpages.
Covid-19: Information for External Examiners
External examiners are asked to note the actions the University of Aberdeen has taken in 2019-20 to support the learning of our students and to manage the assessment process and ensure the integrity of the University’s awards in these challenging times. Details are available here.
External Examiners are appointed by the University to ensure that standards are maintained on a comparable level with universities throughout the UK and that the system of assessment is seen to be transparent and fair to all students. External Examiners make recommendations to the Senate, which authorises the award of degrees, diplomas and certificates.
- Roles and Responsibilities of External Examiners
- Introductory information for External Examiners
- General queries regarding external examining at the University of Aberdeen should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
External Examiners are required to complete an Annual Report at the end of each academic year; these reports are a central tenet of the University’s quality assurance mechanisms. Annual Reports are considered by the relevant School and the Quality Assurance Committee and other committees as appropriate. In addition, Annual Reports are made available to staff and students and to panels for the purposes of internal and external review.
Where an External Examiner has a serious concern relating to systemic failings with the academic standards of a programme or programmes and has exhausted the University’s internal procedures, including the submission of a confidential report to the Principal, the Examiner may invoke the QAA’s Scottish Concerns Scheme or inform the relevant professional, statutory or regulatory body.
- External Examiners: Reporting Instructions and Information
- External Examiners' Annual Report Template
- Annual Reports should be submitted, to the appropriate School Office, as soon as possible after the relevant examination diet and no later than the deadlines detailed below.
Undergraduate, MBChB and Physicians’ Associate
No later than 31 July annually
No later than 31 October annually
All reasonable out-of-pocket expenses, including those incurred in relation to essential visits to the University, will be paid on production of a completed expenses claim form and original copies of the appropriate receipts. Expenses are not subject to income tax. Examiners should refer to the University’s Expenses and Benefits Policy for guidance on what constitutes ‘reasonable' expenses.
- External Examiners' (UG/PGT) Expenses Claim Form
- Expense Claims should be sent to the relevant School Office. Contact and address details area available here.
External Examiner fees are paid annually on the condition that an Annual Report has been received. Fees are subject to income tax and are paid by BACS to your nominated bank account on the last working day of the month. A payslip will also be sent by post.