Professor Thomas O'Donoghue
Chair in Engineering
1981 University College Cork, Eire. BE (Civil), 1st Class Honours.
1983 University College Cork, Eire. MEngSc, Coastal and Offshore Engineering, Thesis: Development of an Irregular Wave Generation System.
1987 Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland. PhD, Offshore Engineering, Thesis: The Dynamic Behaviour of a Surface Hose Attached to a CALM Buoy
1987-1988 Civil/Coastal Engineer, British Maritime Technology Ltd., Ceemaid Division, Hampshire, England. Coastal engineering consultancy.
1988–1990 Post-doctoral Research Associate, Department of Civil & Offshore Engineering, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh. Response of floating production systems in waves.
1990 Lecturer, Senior Lecturer (1999), Reader (2006), Professor (2007), School of Engineering, University of Aberdeen.
Coastal and maritime engineering, oscillatory boundary layer flow, sand transport under sea waves, swash zone processes, wave-structure interaction, beach response, coastal monitoring.
Funding and Grants
- HYDRALAB+ Adapting to climate change, EC, H2020, Project Ref 654110, £76,816, 1/9/2015 – 1/9/2019. Project Partner and Task Leader. Total project value is 9.9M Euros; coordinated by Deltares, The Netherlands.
- Sand Transport under Irregular and Breaking Wave Conditions (SINBAD), EPSRC, £605,965, 1/1/2012 – 31/06/2016 (EPSRC EP/J00507X/1). PI with van der A as Researcher CI, 4-year research project with University of Twente (Ribberink) and Liverpool University (Ming Li). Dutch side of project funded by STW.
- The LRF Centre for Safety and Reliability Engineering,LRF, £1.2M, 2011 – 2018. PI.
- Turbulence and wall shear stress in unsteady internal flows woith rough surfaces. EPSRC, £342,737, 2009-2012 (EP/G068925/1). CI with S. He (Sheffield) as PI and D. Pokrajac as second CI. Collaboration with Prof. A Vardy, University of Dundee.
- Experimental and Numerical Modelling Study of Swash Zone Hydrodynamics and Sediment Transport. EPSRC, £305,089, 2007 – 2010. (EP/E0113301). With D.Pokrajac. Collaboration with Prof. Dodd, University of Nottingham.
- Aberdeen Beach coastal monitoring project (ABCoMP). Aberdeen City Council, £199,145, 2006 – 2009. With Robert Wright (Geography & Environment), Professor Bill Ritchie (Aberdeen Institute for Coastal Science and Management).
- Sand Transport in Oscillatory Flows in the Sheet-flow Regime (SANTOSS). EPSRC, £321,027, 2005 – 2009. (GR/T28089/01). With the University of Twente, The Netherlands and a number of UK and Dutch industrial partners. Dutch side funded by STW, The Netherlands.
- SANDPIT: Sand Transport and Morphology of Offshore Sand Mining Pits and Areas. EC-funded, 170,000Euros, 2002 – 2005. EU 5th Framework research project involving 17 partner organisations from across Europe.
- Total Sediment Transport Rate Predictions in Wave-Current Sheet Flow with Graded Sand. EPSRC, £18,390, 2001 – 2004. (GR/R23572). Collaboration with Prof. B.A.O’Connor, Dr S.Pan, University of Liverpool and Prof. A.G.Davies, University of Wales, Bangor.
- Velocity Measurements to Understand Complex Flows and Sediment Behaviour in the Natural Environment. NERC (+ Development Trust), £62,770, 2001 – 2003. (NER/F/S/2000/00246 - JREI). With Dr. I.McEwan, Engineering and Prof. C.Soulsby, Geography, Aberdeen University as co-investigators.
- Experimental Study of Graded Sediments under Linear and Non-Linear Waves. EPSRC, £149,889, 1999 – 2002. (GR/M75563).
- Seabed Response to Jet Action. DTI/TCD + Industry, £96,950, 1999 – 2001. Teaching Company Scheme with PSL Ltd (TCS Project 2769). Principal Investigator with Dr. I.McEwan as co-investigator.
- In-situ Detection and Monitoring of Leaks in Water Distribution Pipes. Twenty One Ltd., £70,000, 1999 – 2000. Co-investigator with Dr. I. McEwan as Principal Investigator.
- Near-bed Water Particle Velocities in Front of Coastal Structures. EPSRC, £101,714, 1995 – 1998.
- Wave Kinematics and Erosion in Front of Coastal Structures. SERC, £61,349, 1992 – 1994.
Fluid Mechanics, Civil Engineering Hydraulics
Page 1 of 9 Results 1 to 10 of 82
Flow-induced vibration of a cantilevered cylinder in oscillatory flow at high KCJournal of fluids and structures, vol. 109, 103476Contributions to Journals: Articles
Measurement and prediction of bottom boundary layer hydrodynamics under modulated oscillatory flowsCoastal Engineering, vol. 169, 103954Contributions to Journals: Articles
Sand suspension and fluxes by wave groups and equivalent monochromatic wavesContinental Shelf Research, vol. 179, pp. 85-104Contributions to Journals: Articles
Wave Boundary Layer Hydrodynamics and Sheet Flow Properties under Large-Scale Plunging-Type Breaking WavesJournal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 75-98Contributions to Journals: Articles
Turbulence statistics in smooth wall oscillatory boundary layer flowJournal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 849, pp. 192-230Contributions to Journals: Articles
Near-Bed Turbulent Kinetic Energy Budget Under a Large-Scale Plunging Breaking Wave Over a Fixed BarJournal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 1429-1456Contributions to Journals: Articles
Temporal acceleration of a turbulent channel flowJournal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 835, pp. 471-490Contributions to Journals: Articles
Bedload and suspended load contributions to breaker bar morphodynamicsCoastal Engineering, vol. 129, pp. 74-92Contributions to Journals: Articles
Suspended sediment transport around a large-scale laboratory breaker barCoastal Engineering, vol. 125, pp. 51-69Contributions to Journals: Articles
Large-scale laboratory study of breaking wave hydrodynamics over a fixed barJournal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 3287-3310Contributions to Journals: Articles