Before You Arrive

Before You Arrive
Before you Arrive

To make the process of moving into your accommodation as simple and quick as possible, we have listed everything you need to have completed before we will allow you to pick up your keys.

  1. You must have accepted an offer of accommodation. This involves e-signing the terms and conditions and the schedule via the eAccommodation Portal.

  2. You must have paid the £100 pre payment. This can be done online via the eAccommodation Portal or by getting in touch with the Accommodation Office

  3. You must have completed the 20-part eInduction via the eAccommodation Portal - it must be completed, having started it is not acceptable. This requirement is noted in your terms and conditions which must be signed prior to starting the eInduction.

  4. All previous outstanding debts to the University must be settled prior to your arrival whether they be accommodation related or not.


Your Arrival

You can move into your accommodation from the date that your contract commences. You will not be able to move into your room before this date. As such, if you are arriving before the start date of your contract, please ensure that you have made alternative accommodation arrangements.

Think about buying items like your bedding and kitchen items before you come to university and have them delivered to your room.

Collecting Your Keys

If you're staying in University accommodation, you can collect your keys from the date your contract begins. They are available as follows:

  • Hillhead Student Village
    Keys can be collected from the reception desk at New Carnegie Court, at the Hillhead Student Village, which is open 24 hours.

    Tel: +44 (0)1224 274000

  • King's Hall FlatsElphinstone Road Flats, King's Hall and Elphinstone Road: Keys can be collected from the reception desk at New Carnegie Court, at the Hillhead Student Village, which is open 24 hours, if you are taking a taxi, please ask the driver to wait for you while you collect your key, they will then be able to take you to your accommodation.

Traffic and Car Parking

Car parking is limited at Hillhead, and there is no parking allowed on King's Campus. For more information on car parking please check the FAQ section.

During move in times both King's Campus and Hillhead sites are extremely busy. We would encourage all students, where possible, to use public transport.

  • First Bus run a No1 and No2 that drops you off on King Street, or the No 20 takes you to Hillhead Student Village

  • First Bus run a Park & Ride service from the Bridge of Don which drops off on King Street

  • Check the New Student website for details on meet and greet service

Parking at Hillhead is limited and is on a first come basis. We ask everyone to be patient as the site will be incredibly busy with other new students.

Kings and Elphinstone Road Halls

Parking for Kings Hall and Elphinstone Road residents is very limited. You will be allowed to drop off - but you will not be permitted to park on Campus. There is on street parking and car parks in the surrounding streets that can be utilised. Please note that there are car parking enforcements in place at the University.

If you are going to drive, we encourage you to limit this to 1 car per student. If your parents are also driving, please ask them to park offsite to limit traffic. It is also important to think about the time that you will arrive, generally the site gets very busy in the afternoon.


Hillhead Student Village is located on Don Street, which is a residential minor dead end road. There will be a lot of students are expected which results in traffic congestion and you should expect to sit in traffic. The University works very closely with the Council and Police Scotland to put in traffic measures but are very limited in what can be done.

What to Bring

Move in day is pretty exciting and you will feel settled more quickly if you have your own things decorating your room.

See below for a short checklist of what you need to bring:

  • Bedding is NOT provided so bring along your duvet, pillow and bed linen (double size bedding is required for New Carnegie Court). If you wish to buy a kitchen or bedroom pack please check the FAQs for details.
  • Towels are not provided
  • Kitchen items (Crockery, Cutlery, Pots and Pans etc)
  • Electrical items (iPod, Speakers, PC, Laptop, TV/DVD)

...and of course items to 'dress and impress' during Welcome Week!

What Not to Bring

Seeing as you’ll have a few hundred neighbours for the next year you need to be considerate and contribute to the community spirit.

We have listed some of the things that you are not allowed in Halls - the list is not exhaustive.

We don't allow the following:

  • Replica guns
  • Laser guns
  • Laser pens
  • Paintball guns
  • Air guns
  • Sporting knifes
  • Swords
  • Water pistols/bombs
  • Fan heaters
  • Shisha pipes
  • Candles (any type) and incense sticks
  • LED strip lights

We also have more information on what NOT to bring - check out the A - Z and your online induction information.

A separate digital booklet detailing your obligations as a Hall tenant also explains the terms in your contract. As a tenant of Halls, it is important that you take time to read the guide, paying particular attention to information regarding fire alarms and the evacuation procedures set in place for YOUR SAFETY and to help ensure the safety of your FRIENDS in Halls.

If you're unsure about what you can and can't bring then speak to the Management Team straight away. We have to confiscate unsuitable items - so save yourself the hassle!

TV Licence

Whether your favourite TV makes you cry with laughter or puts you on the edge of your seat, it's really important you know when you need a TV Licence.

When do I need a licence?

You need to be covered by a licence to watch or record live television programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This could be on any device, including a television, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.  If you do any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legally costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay.  You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one.

It's the law, and anyone in the University of Aberdeen Halls of Residences who watches or records television programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid TV Licence is at risk of prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

Aren't I covered by my parents' TV Licence?

Your parents' TV Licence will not cover you while you are away at the University unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.  

How will anyone know if I don't have a TV Licence?

The TV Licensing database lists addresses that don't have a TV Licence, including university accommodation. TV Licensing officers regularly visit universities throughout the academic year with the co-operation of university authorities, including hall managers and accommodation officers.

If you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid TV Licence, you're breaking the law and risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000, plus court costs. It's not worth the risk and you'll still need to buy a TV Licence if you want to continue watching TV.

How much does a TV Licence cost?

There are lots of different ways to pay - all in one go or spreading the cost weekly, monthly or quarterly. Just choose whatever's best for you..

The TV Licensing student refund

If you're leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV Licence if there's one at home. If there are three full calendar months before your licence expires, you can get a refund for the unused quarter of your licence.

You'll need to buy your licence by the end of September/early October to allow enough time at the end of the academic year to qualify for a refund. The refund will be around £37, and can be claimed at the end of the academic year.

If you'd like a refund or further information, go to

If I live in halls, won't I already be covered by a TV licence?

Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you're plugged in to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, of if you download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.  If there are TVs in communal areas, check with your halls' manager to see if they're covered by a halls' licence.

If you think you don't need one, you can find out more information and let us know by visiting

Why is it worth getting a TV Licence?

A TV Licence covers you to watch a huge range of programmes on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes 1000's of documentaries, live music shows, dramas, must see sports events, films, 24 hour news programmes and a whole lot more - all for the equivalent of just 40p a day.

Find out more at


University accommodation is very safe, and you’ll be pleased to hear that all University of Aberdeen student accommodation has a basic personal contents insurance cover from Endsleigh Insurance.

Your personal insurance certificate is available from the Endsleigh website and the level of cover is detailed on the certificate.

Laptops, mobile telephones and bicycles are the most common items stolen from students. Look after your property before someone else does!
If you want to extend the level of insurance to cover bikes and cars etc. or need to make a claim, then get in touch with Endsleigh via the website.