Arriving in a new city or country is exciting, but it can also be overwhelming. Our Meet and Greet service is free for new UoA students, and will provide a friendly and welcoming arrival to Aberdeen before you begin your studies. Book in advance and we'll assist you with the journey to your accommodation when you arrive.
By signing up for Meet and Greet, we will arrange transport to your accommodation.
We continue to closely monitor Scottish Government Covid-19 guidelines and social distancing advice. Any changes to the service based on SG advice will be detailed on this page as well via email, and the team will before and after your arrival to arrange transport to your accommodation.
You must book the Meet and Greet service before arriving into Aberdeen.
More Information on Meet & Greet
- Who is the Service Available to?
The Meet and Greet service is available for new arriving student by prior booking for those arriving into Aberdeen International Airport or Aberdeen Train/Bus Station. Simply complete the online form to let us know when you are arriving into Aberdeen.
If you are delayed and unable to make the relevant time slot please let us know 24 hours in advance so that we can rearrange your transportation. Notification out with this time period may compromise the transportation arrangements and you will have to make your own way to your accommodation.
If you have any enquiries about our meet and greet service, please contact email@example.com. It can take up to five working days for a response due to high demand.
- How do I book the Meet and Greet Service?
To book onto our Meet and Greet Service just fill out the form below. Please provide at least 5 working days notice before you arrive into Aberdeen.
Once you have completed the online form you will then be contacted by the Meet and Greet team to confirm your booking and provide essential information about next steps and quarantine.
We cannot guarantee to collect you if you do not provide enough notice or if you do not provide all the information we need.
- How do I find the transportation that is booked for me?
To make your arrival as easy as possible, we will arrange for a taxi (free of charge) to collect you, on your arrival time and date you have provided us with, to take you to your accommodation.
If you are being collected from Aberdeen International Airport:
When you arrive at the airport, the driver will meet you inside the terminal building with a name board. Depending on your arrival time, they may not be there until after you have collected your luggage.
If you are being collected from Aberdeen Bus or Train Station:
When you arrive at the station, the driver will meet you next to Jurys Inn Hotel outside the front of Union Square. Jury's Inn Hotel is located adjacent to the main exit from Union Square Shopping Centre (which is connected to both Aberdeen Bus and Train Station).
Let them know your name and they will confirm if it is your taxi and then drive you to your accommodation.
Should you encounter any problems, please call Comcabs number on 01224 353535.
- Making your own way to accommodation
If you arrive at a time when the Meet and Greet service is unavailable, you will have to make your own way to your accommodation. Watch these videos to find out how to navigate to University Accommodation from the train station or the airport.
Once you arrive at Aberdeen International Airport or the train station, if you are staying in University accommodation,we recommend you take a taxi to your accommodation. Hillhead reception is open 24/7. Please note you may need to visit Hillhead Reception to collect your keys before heading to your accommodation. Please consult any emails or instructions given to you by the Student Accommodation team.
If you are staying in private accommodation we recommend that you contact your accommodation provider before you travel to find out how to gain access to your accommodation. We advise you to find out the arrangements for accessing your accommodation outside of normal working hours (i.e. evenings and weekend) so you know what to do in the event that your arrival in Aberdeen is delayed.
- Important Border Control and Customs Information
Prior to travelling to the UK please familiarise yourself with information provided by the Scottish Government and UK Government. These differ depending on the country you are travelling from (including those you travel through in the 10 days before arriving in the UK).
UK Border Control have detailed guidance on how to prepare for the UK border. Please look at these before arrival to make your arrival into the UK as smooth as possible.
- On your flight into the UK please ask for a ‘landing card’ from the flight crew, then fully fill in the relevant parts whilst on-board. Have it ready with your Passport before you land as you will need it to show the UK Border Force Officer (UKBF). You must have this completed before your passport can be stamped.
- Take the passport out of any cover ready to be stamped.
- Have your Certificate Acceptance of Studies (CAS Letter) ready to be checked.
- At the U.K Border you will be asked what University and what course you will be studying? You will also be asked how long the course will be, you will need all supporting documents in paper copy already printed out and to hand to be shown to the Officer.
- You are arriving at peak University student intake time, passport and document checks can take a while. UKBF will process customers as efficiently as possible but please be prepared to wait.
Everyone entering the UK must complete have a negative Covid result and complete a passenger locator form in the 48 hour period before they are due to travel to the UK. Please make sure you complete this form before you travel to avoid delays at border control.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Can my family and friends use the service?
- We are able to transport members of your family and friends to your accommodation who are travelling with you, however the maximum passenger capacity in one taxi is 3. If you require an additional taxi, this will be at your own expense Face masks must also be worn within the taxi.
- Please notify us on the booking form of the number of family and friends you intend to arrive with.
What happens if my flight is delayed?
- We will keep a close check on flight arrival times and will remain in the airport to collect up until 12am (midnight).
- If your flight is delayed beyond 12am then we can provide you with taxi details, directions and accommodation details.
- Please contact us by email if you are aware of a delay so that we can plan ahead.
- If you become aware of a delay on the day of travel, please call Comcabs number on 01224 353535
What if I arrive without booking accommodation?
Please arrange your accommodation prior to travelling to the UK. The Accommodation Office contact details can be found here https://www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation/
What happens if I do not book the service, will I still be met at the airport?
- We strongly recommend that you book onto the service to guarantee a place
- We will provide the service for all University students, their family and friends, but by booking we are able to accurately plan the number of arrivals and arrange transport accordingly.
Is there a charge for the service?
- No, this is a free service for students and their family and friends arriving.
How much luggage can I take?
- Luggage is limited to two suitcases and one item of hand luggage per person. You are responsible for carrying your own suitcases.
How long is the journey to University Accommodation?
The journey normally takes around 30 minutes to arrive at Hillhead.
I need to speak to the Meet and Greet team, how do I contact them?
- If you have any enquiries about our meet and greet service, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. It can take up to 48 hours for a response due to high demand.