Sociology at Aberdeen opens up your ‘sociological imagination’, as you explore how society shapes us as individuals in all sorts of ways, helping us to understand ourselves, our relationships, and the challenges we face in a changing world. Top-rated excellent teaching and a culture of dynamic research will give you the skills to be a sought after graduate by employers in many sectors.
Sociology at Aberdeen is ranked 10th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland by The Guardian’s Best UK Universities, 2021.
We offer a range of Sociology degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Sociology at Aberdeen explores the issues and challenges of modern societies and how they have developed through time until the present day. You will gain a deep understanding of how society influences people and explore a range of different themes, including social awareness.
You will study topics as wide-ranging as sociology of the family, work-life balance, crime, religion and the state. And you will become skilled in the social research methods used to gather the evidence to better understand aspects of society – which could be observation, interviews, large-scale surveys or analysing the content of documents and videos.
Your teachers have international reputations for conducting high-quality research including the topic of religion and secularisation, conflict and peace, social movements, and global political sociology.
You will develop great skills in thinking critically and posing probing questions – skills which have tremendous value to employers across the public, private and third sectors. Recent Aberdeen graduates are working in journalism, management, marketing and advertising, local and national government, social research institutions, teaching, health services, social work, charitable organisations, human resources, market research.
And you will enjoy our special, warm welcome at the University of Aberdeen, benefit from excellent teaching, research with international impact, and a truly global experience as part of our friendly and vibrant international community. You will love our beautiful campus, great facilities for learning, sports and leisure, and the many opportunities to develop the skills and attributes for a competitive advantage in the career you choose, and the broader horizons you will gain from study abroad.
Available Programmes of Study
Single Honours Degrees
You may also be interested in...
Joint Honours Degrees
- Anthropology and Sociology
- Business Management and Sociology
- Celtic & Anglo-Saxon Studies and Sociology
- Economics and Sociology
- English and Sociology
- Film & Visual Culture and Sociology
- French and Sociology
- French and Sociology (5 years)
- Gaelic Studies and Sociology
- Geography and Sociology
- German and Sociology
- German and Sociology (5 years)
- History and Sociology
- International Relations and Sociology
- Language & Linguistics and Sociology
- Philosophy and Sociology
- Politics and Sociology
- Psychology and Sociology
- Sociology and Spanish & Latin American Studies
- Sociology and Spanish & Latin American Studies (5 years)
- Sociology and Theology & Religion
Why Study Sociology at Aberdeen?
- An international reputation for our sociology research, and recognised by the UK’s Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) as a centre for research training and supervision for postgraduate students.
- Teaching with a top rating of ‘Excellent’ in the most recent Teaching Quality Assessment.
- Consistently rated very highly, including by students in the National Student Survey (NSS) from whom we get great feedback.
- Sociology at Aberdeen is rated 4th in Scotland in the Complete University Guide 2021.
- The spectacular, award-winning Sir Duncan Rice Library with its top-class study environment, state-of-the-art technology, and extensive collection of sociology publications and resources for your study.
- A packed programme of student and public events, lectures, exhibitions, seminars, invited speakers, plus the annual May Festival, British Science Week and Being Human Festival regularly featuring Aberdeen research in social sciences.
- Participation in the European Social Survey, one of the largest and most reliable sources of data about Europeans’ attitudes, behaviours and experiences, with data from more than 350,000 individuals across 36 countries since 2002.
Undergraduate EU Scholarship
The Aberdeen Global Undergraduate Scholarship is open to European Union (EU) students.
This is an £8,000 tuition fee discount available to eligible self-funded Undergraduate students who would have previously been eligible for Home (Scottish/EU) fee status.View Undergraduate EU Scholarship
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions Service
University of Aberdeen