History at Aberdeen is the opportunity to immerse yourself in rich study of all aspects of human adventure in the past, exploring the medieval, early modern and modern periods in Scotland, Europe, America, Asia and Africa at a University steeped in 500 years of history and now ranked top in Scotland for the impact of its history research.
History research at Aberdeen was ranked top in Scotland for its impact, and second in the UK, in the latest UK Research Excellence Framework.
You will learn in buildings centuries old, yet with the most modern teaching and technology, enthused and inspired by teachers who are leaders in their fields, with expertise as diverse as medieval Scandinavia, early-modern Poland and modern Irish diaspora.
You will have the opportunity to study courses from covering a long cronological range, from the ancient world to the present day, and gain a deeper understanding of the relationships between cultures and national traditions.
You will also have all the benefits of access to our historic treasures including manuscripts, books, and museum exhibits collected by distinguished alumni, thinkers and explorers over 500 years, in collections accredited as nationally significant, and of international importance.
Our History graduates are highly attractive to employers for their skills in research, critical analysis, and communication, as well as the understanding of different aspects of human society and culture. Your career options will cover almost every field including politics, education, law, business, ministry, nursing, social work, the armed forces, journalism, and the heritage sectors.
You will enjoy all the benefits of learning and living in our friendly and vibrant international community, on our beautiful campus with great facilities for learning, sports and leisure, and many opportunities to develop the extra skills to boost your employability, and to broaden your horizons through studying abroad.
Why Study History at Aberdeen?
- Ranked top University in Scotland for the impact of its History research, and second in the UK in the latest UK Research Excellence Framework.
- Teaching rated ‘Highly Satisfactory’ in the last national Teaching Quality Assessment, and with student satisfaction of 95% – way above the national average of 86%.
- Particular strengths in Irish and Scottish studies, Scandinavia, late medieval/early modern period, and research centres studying global empires, history and philosophy of science, technology and medicine, and Russian and Eastern European history.
- The inspiration of our beautiful historic campus in Old Aberdeen, where King’s College Chapel, begun in 1495 by University founder Bishop Elphinstone, is a treasure-house of history and religious turbulence.
- Major international treasures including 7,000 early printed books, the magnificent 12th century Aberdeen Bestiary, large Jacobite collection, works of the Scottish Enlightenment, and fascinating local records dating from the middle ages.
- A packed campus programme of student and public events, exhibitions, seminars, invited speakers and the annual May Festival which welcomes world-famous authors, broadcasters and personalities including well-known historians to campus every spring.
- Spectacular, award-winning Sir Duncan Rice Library, combining top-class study facilities with state-of-the-art technology, and an online catalogue giving you access to thousands of books and millions of journal articles on the web.
What You'll Study
Single Honours Degrees
Joint Honours Degrees
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
You may also be interested in...
Joint Honours Degrees
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions Service
University of Aberdeen