Members of the School of Language and Literature play a leading role in several specialised research centres at the University of Aberdeen, reflecting the diverse range of interests and areas of expertise of our staff. The centres bring together groups of scholars from a range of academic disciplines, and foster links with other universities. They also support taught postgraduate courses and postgraduate degrees by research.
A number of centres are based in the School, including the Centre for Celtic & Anglo-Saxon Studies, the George Washington Wilson Centre for Visual Culture, and the Grierson Centre for Textual Criticism and Comparative Literary History.
The School is also involved in a number of University-wide centres and institutes, including the Centre for Modern Thought, the Centre for Early Modern Studies, the Research Institute of Irish and Scottish Studies, and the Elphinstone Institute.
Cross-School Research Centres:
- Centre for Early Modern Studies (CEMS)
- Centre for History and Philosophy of Science, Technology and Medicine (CHPSTM)
- George Washington Wilson Centre for Art and Visual Culture
- Research Institute of Irish and Scottish Studies (RIISS)
LLMVC Research Centres:
- Centre for Celtic & Anglo-Saxon Studies
- Centre for Linguistic Research
- Centre for Modern Languages Research (CMLR)
- Centre for the Novel
- Elphinstone Institute
- National Centre for Gaelic Translation
- Performing the Past (research group)
- SERG (Sound Emporium Research Group)
- Sir Herbert Grierson Centre for Textual Criticism and Comparative Literary History
- Walter Scott Research Centre
- WORD Centre for Creative Writing
- Publications of the Forum for Research on the Languages of Scotland and Ulster