Contact the Open Research team if you want to arrange a one-to-one chat about more general information on open access publishing or to arrange a presentation on open research at Aberdeen for your School or Department.
Open Access e-Resources
There are many resources where scholarly content is made freely available online without restriction. These include books, chapters, articles and many other outputs. Below is a selection you may find useful to search for materials.
The opensciencemooc.eu has 10 core modules designed to equip students and researchers with the skills required to excel in the modern research environment.
Books, Chapters, Journals, Articles and more
- AURA The University of Aberdeen institutional repository provides full text access to the University’s research outputs
- BASE A search engine for academic web resources. BASE provides more than 150 million documents from more than 7,000 sources
- CORE An aggregate database of all open access research outputs from repositories and journals worldwide
- F1000 Research OA platform An open research publishing platform for the sciences offering rapid publication of articles and other research outputs
- JSTOR - Open and free content on JSTOR and Artstor, a not-for-profit multidisciplinary digital platform
- Knowledge Unlatched KU facilitates open access publishing and makes scholarly content freely available to everyone
- OpenAire One of the largest open scholarly record collections worldwide
- Open Community Collections from Jisc feature freely accessible primary source materials in a wide variety of subjects contributed by libraries, museums, and archives
- Open Humanities Press Access to peer reviewed journals and books published by the Press
- Open Knowledge The official open access repository for the World Bank
- UCL Press Launched in 2015 UCL Press is the UK’s first open access university press publishing both high quality books and journals
- Directory of Open Access Books DOAB aims to promote the discoverability of open access books and provides access to many titles from academic publishers
- OAPEN Online Library A collection of open access books
- Open Book Publishers As well as publishing in traditional formats Open Book Publishers provide free online editions of every title in various formats
- Directory of Open Access Journals DOAJ is an online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals
- Open Library of Humanities University of Aberdeen is a supporting institution of OLH, a charitable organisation dedicated to publishing high quality peer reviewed journals
- PubMed Central PMC is a free full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM)
- Wellcome Open Research Useful for medical sciences this is a platform for Wellcome funded researchers to rapidly publish their research
- DART DART-Europe is a partnership of research libraries and library consortia who are working together to improve global access to European research theses
- EThOS Search over 500,000 doctoral theses via the British Library and get instant access to digitised theses or scanned copies at no charge from participating institutions
- PQDT Open Read the full text of open access dissertations and theses free of charge
- Primo Access to University of Aberdeen thesis
Quick Tools to Find Open Access Articles and Chapters
- Unpaywall Download the ‘Unpaywall’ button to Chrome or Firefox browsers to instantly find free, open access, versions of articles or book chapters
- Open Access Button Allows you to search for open access, free of charge, versions of journal articles and book chapters
- EndNote Click (formerly Kopernio) a browser plugin that helps you quickly access full-text PDFs by connecting you to your library's subscriptions as well as open access content
- Find preprints and other freely available versions on sites like SSRN, and discipline-specific preprint servers
Open data e-Resources
See Open Knowledge International's The Open Data Handbook for guidance, case studies and other relevant resources.
If you are unable to access an article you want to read you could always send a request to the corresponding author – many authors are open to receiving requests for articles via social networking sites or their personal website.