Mathematics is vital to the physical and engineering sciences, and very significant in the economic, social and biological sciences. It is the essential tool with which scientists formulate theories and analyse their consequences.
Mathematics at Aberdeen is ranked 3rd in Scotland by The Guardian’s Best UK Universities, 2021.
We offer a range of Mathematics degrees which you can read more about below.View available degree programmes
The University of Aberdeen International Study Centre offers preparation programmes for progression to undergraduate degree study at the university.Discover the International Study Centre
Mathematics at Aberdeen is highly rated for research in both Pure and Applied areas.
We offer a challenging syllabus which emphasises reasoning, rigour and the argumentative side of mathematics. Our ambition is to give you a sound preparation for a career in which mathematics plays a role, whether it be in research or through applications
At the heart of manipulation with abstract mathematical objects are precision, logical thinking and reasoning skills. Studying and doing mathematics requires high levels of communication skills. Employers value these skills and the subsequent versatility of our graduates.
There are science (BSc) and arts (MA) degrees. The mathematical content of both types are the same. The difference is in the choice of additional subjects which should be respectively science or arts based. There are three further types of degrees involving mathematics:
- Single: most of the courses are in mathematics.
- Joint: this is mathematics and another subject and the content is split equally.
- Maths with a minor component: most of the courses are in mathematics; 30 credits in each year should come from another chosen subject.
Available Programmes of Study
Single Honours Degrees
Joint Honours Degrees
Major-Minor Honours Degrees
You may also be interested in...
Joint Honours Degrees
Why Study Mathematics at Aberdeen?
- We offer a challenging syllabus which emphasises reasoning, rigour and the argumentative side of mathematics.
- Our ambition is to give you a sound preparation for a career in which mathematics plays a role, whether it be in research or through applications.
- We offer excellent student experience delivered by enthusiastic staff combined with small class sizes, approximately 25 or less in the Honours years.
- We offer a degree in Pure Mathematics and degree in Applied Mathematics to suit your taste and interests. You will only need to make the choice in your 3rd year.
- We offer a range of choices with your degree programme, across both the sciences (BSc) and the Arts (MA). You can focus your attention entirely on Mathematics or you can spread your interests to combine it with other subjects.
- We offer attractive joint degrees with Economics, Physics and other disciplines, including languages.
- The department run a number of key events and seminars throughout the year, giving you the chance to network with students and academics.
- Interactions with applied maths are fostered through our involvement in the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics, comprised of the Department of Mathematics together with the Institute for Complex Systems and Mathematical Biology.
Get in Touch
Student Recruitment & Admissions
University of Aberdeen