See below for frequently asked questions about graduations. If you cannot find the answer below or in this website, please contact

When is my Graduation?

Regretfully, the Summer Graduation in person ceremonies have been cancelled due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Eligible students will instead graduate in-absentia between 5 and 9 July 2021, and the University will deliver an online alternative, as we did for last year’s November graduations which will be broadcast week commencing 19 July 2021

  • Visit the Find my Ceremony page to find out more details on the online celebration.

It remains our intention to offer an opportunity to attend a celebratory event in the future, details of which will be made available when circumstances permit us to effectively deliver the event without the risk of cancellation.

How do I submit my photo for the virtual celebration?

We will be hosting a virtual celebration for each School, which we hope you will be able to join. Celebrations will be broadcast week commencing 19 July 2021.

  • Visit the Find my Ceremony page to find out more details on the online celebration.

More details of the dates and times will be shared in due course. If you would like to submit a picture of yourself that we can include, please submit using the link below before 15 June 2021. Please note we cannot accept submissions after this date.

When will I receive my certificate?

As long as the Government does not place local restrictions in the City due to an outbreak of Covid-19, all awards will be conferred ‘in absentia’ and graduating students should receive their certificate in the post by 12 July.

Please ensure that you give an address location covering the period 1 June 2021 to 31 August 2021.

We will accept address changes up to 2 weeks before the date of graduation.

How to register to graduate?

For full details on how to graduate, key dates and where to submit applications to please refer to the Prepare for Graduation page.

How will I know if I am eligible to graduate?

You should check your results in your Student Hub.

If you do not appear to be eligible to graduate with the degree that you have applied for, please contact a member of staff in Registry as soon as possible to advise if you still wish to attend the ceremony with a lower degree e.g. designated instead of honours.  We cannot assume that you will want to do so and the Team will be unaware if you are taking resits.

How much does it cost to graduate?

There is no fee

What happens if I submit a late application to graduate?

If you apply after the deadline there is no guarantee that your application will be accepted.

Don't wait until you receive your results, assume you will pass and apply now.

What if I owe the University Money?

If you owe the University money for any reason (fees, library fines for unreturned books, etc.) you will not be permitted to graduate, so please ensure that you have cleared any debts.  Any money you owe will normally be displayed on the Application to Graduate form.  However, as the Graduation Team receives notice of debt daily from various sections of the University it may not be displayed on your form. If you receive a letter or email saying that you owe money or have unreturned library books please do not ignore it even if you think the information is wrong.  Contact us immediately to resolve the issue.

If you continue to owe money your application will be kept on hold until the debt is paid. The onus is on you to advise the Graduation Team that the debt has been paid.

What if I want to change my application?

If you need to make any changes to your application to graduate after you have submitted it, please email as soon as possible to notify them of the required changes.

I want to share my Graduation Success story

*The Communications team cannot guarantee that every story will be followed up but they thank you for your participation.

You can contact the Communications Office on 01224 272014.

Data Protection

If you complete an application to graduate, or application to be awarded a Certificate or Diploma, you should note that your name may be published in an awards list that the University may release to the media for their onward publication. If you do not wish your name to be included you must notify to this effect and make it clear on your application to graduate form.

In addition, if you qualify for the award of a degree you should note that, unless you apply to the Registrar of the General Council for exemption on ground of conscience, you will automatically become a member of the General Council of the University, and your name will be included in the published Register of members of the Council.

Following graduation, your contact details and degree/diploma/certificate information are transferred to our alumni and development database where our alumni archive is maintained. The Alumni Relations and Development teams keep in contact with former students regarding further education and Continuing Professional Development opportunities, career mentoring and development, reunions, alumni and University events, University updates and fundraising initiatives.

Your contact details are only used for University-related activity and are not passed to any third-party organisations for other purposes. You can at any time opt out of receiving any or all of these communications by contacting our Alumni Relations Office at

Degree Fraud - How can I avoid this?

Advice and guidance on degree fraud for students can be found here