Sophia is a new initiative that seeks to create a supportive environment for female post-graduate students and staff within Divinity and Religious Studies at the University of Aberdeen. The Greek word ‘sophia’ (σοφία), as well as the Hebrew equivalence ‘hochma’ (חכמה), means Wisdom and is often personified as a feminine figure. We chose the name ‘Sophia’ for our initiative in order to represent the collective ‘wisdom’ that can be provided by the DRS Women’s network when female scholars come together to share ideas and experiences.
Both the academy and the Church need qualified women leaders and role models. In light of the historical and present underrepresentation of women in theology and biblical studies particularly, this forum aims to encourage women in the Divinity and Religious Studies Department in their personal and career development, in order that female students who wish to pursue an academic career after the completion of their studies are equipped to do so.
We meet monthly on select Fridays between 10:00-11:30 am; see details below for the locations.
Our aims are:
- To create an informal meeting place for women in DRS to share experiences and to offer mutual support.
- To offer career advice to female students who aim for a job in the academe.
- To increase the visibility of female role models by inviting senior females in the profession to give tailored advice.
- To organize panel debates that address gender-related topics in both the academe and in the Church.
- To offer an informal and supportive forum for students and early career researchers to present research ideas and to receive constructive feedback.
Please join us on Facebook.
- Upcoming Events
Sophia will meet on select Fridays throughout the half session:
- Wed 27th September – Welcome Coffee from 10-11.30am at Starbucks
- Friday 11th Oct, 10am-11.30am – Workshop: Seminar conduct and participation (Venue TBC)
- Friday 8th Nov, 10-11.30am – Workshop: Networking and building networks (Venue TBC)
- Friday 13th Dec – Christmas Social (Evening, venue TBC)
- Past Events
- Career talk: how to write a job application and to prepare for a job interview (20 Oct 2017).
- Social gathering: Christmas party (15 Dec 2017).
- Social get-together (16 Feb 2018)
- A Conversation with Dr Rachel Muers (University of Leeds) – ‘Challenges and opportunities for women in academic theology’ (12 Oct 2018)
- Navigating the Academic Conference – How to select the right conferences and write a successful abstract (2 Nov 2018)
- End of Term Social (23 Nov 2018)