The PhD degree is open to students with an upper second class honours degree or better in Chemistry, or equivalent. The total length of a PhD is typically 3 years; course work is taken in parallel with the research project in years 1 and 2, and the degree culminates in a thesis which is examined. Students may register either for full-time or for part-time study.

PhD research is possible in any of our research groups.

  • Studentships for support of PhD students are advertised as they become available.

The aim of a PhD in Chemistry is to provide a thorough training in a particular area of chemistry through original exploration and experiment. The research culminates in a thesis or dissertation which sets out the conclusions of the research undertaken. The Aberdeen PhD is formally a research degree, but you will be expected to undertake some course work during your first two years, both in topics specific to your area of research and in more general employment related skills.

Candidates for the degree of PhD must normally hold either a Masters degree or a first or upper second-class Honours degree in an appropriate discipline from an approved university, or an equivalent qualification.

The research project for the PhD is chosen in discussion with the academic staff supervisor. When you apply to do a PhD you must specify the general area of chemistry in which you wish to undertake your project; you should consult the research web pages for further information.

How To Apply

The processing of applications for a Research Degree within the College of Physical Sciences is dealt with by the Graduate School Admissions Unit. The unit works closely with the Research Postgraduate Co-ordinators, one in each discipline, who decide if an offer of a place should be made.

The unit can give you advice up to the point that you start your studies, including queries about:

  • Entry requirements
  • The application process and other procedural matters
  • Availability of funding

If you wish to apply for a specific PhD studentship we would ask that you make informal contact with the named supervisor before applying.