Disability Service

The Disability Service provides advice, information and practical support to all students with a disability, impairment, medical or health condition, or specific learning difference, such as dyslexia.  The Service is available to undergraduate, postgraduate, full-time, part-time and online distance learners.

Office hours are Monday to Friday from 9 am – 4.30 pm.  Advisers visit the Foresterhill campus on a weekly basis during term time; appointments can be made to see a Disability Adviser at Foresterhill upon request.


The definition of disability is very wide and includes, but is not limited to the following:

  • Dyslexia or other Specific Learning Differences
  • Visual Impairment
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Long-Term Illness
  • Mental Health Conditions
  • Physical Impairment
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder, including Asperger’s Syndrome
  • Temporary Disability or injury

If you have a disability we strongly encourage you to make an appointment with a Disability Adviser to discuss, agree and implement any support you may require.

Students applying through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) will be able to indicate their disability on the application form.

If you are unsure whether you are eligible for support, please contact us.


We will only discuss disability-related information with other members of staff once we have your permission, or if we need to do this for reasons of health and safety, emergency, or public policy.

Before we put support in place, we ask for your consent to pass on information to colleagues who will provide your support.  Our Disclosure Form explains how we treat and store your confidential information.

How to Arrange Support

If you are new to the University, or the Service, please make an appointment to see a Disability Adviser.  you should bring evidence of your disability to the initial appointment, if possible.  Support arrangements, such as extra time, can only be put in place once we receive evidence.


Students must provide us with supporting documents to confirm their disability or learning difference.

For medical conditions (other than dyslexia or specific learning differences) we require up to date evidence in the form of a diagnosis from a qualified professional including:

  • GP
  • Nurse/Psychiatric Nurse
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Audiologist
  • Hospital Consultant

In addition to confirming a diagnosis, the medical evidence must confirm the impact that your disability has/will have on your ability to study.

Evidence of dyslexia or a specific learning difference must be from one of the following:

  • An Educational Psychologist
  • An educational professional or specialised teacher who holds a current practising certificate in assessing specific learning difficulties issued by their relevant professional association e.g. the Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Difficulties (PATOSS)
  • An educational professional or specialised teacher who holds a current qualification that allows Associate Membership of the British Dyslexia Accusation (AMBDA)

If you need advice about obtaining evidence of your dyslexia or specific learning difference, please contact  or arrange to meet a Disability Adviser.  The University may be able to assist you to obtain an evaluation.

Support We Can Implement

After discussing your needs with you, a Disability Adviser can put together a list of the adjustments you need. We call these your provisions and, with your permission, we will communicate this information to the relevant staff at the University. 

Some examples of adjustments are:

  • Lecture outlines and PowerPoint slides for lectures in advance and in alternative formats:
  • Reading lists in advance
  • Extra time in exams
  • Use of a computer in exams
  • Reader/scribe in exams
  • No penalties for poor spelling or grammar
  • Agreed extensions to deadlines

Some examples of support with taught sessions are:

  • Support workers, such as note-takers, to ensure that students have an accurate record of what is covered in lectures
  • The loan of digital recorders to record sessions
  • Support worker assistance in practical sessions (e.g. in labs) to ensure that students can work effectively and safely

Exam support

Arrangements for exam adjustments need to be in place in advance of the start of exams.   These include arrangements such as:

  • extra time
  • use of a computer and assistive software
  • a smaller exam venue with fewer other candidates
  • Exam papers in alternative formats (e.g. Braille or large print)
  • No penalties for poor spelling or grammar: 

If you require adjustments in exams, please make sure you have spoken to a Disability Adviser before the deadline. 

The deadlines for disabled students requesting provisions in exams in academic year 2018/19 are as follows:

  • First half-session: Friday 9th November 2018
  • Second half-session: Friday 29th March 2019
  • Resits: Friday 7th June 2019

If you require any disability-related provisions for your exams that have not already been agreed and implemented for your current course of study, please arrange an appointment with a Disability Adviser by calling 01224 273935 or by coming into the Student Advice and Support Office.

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

We can help disabled students to apply for funds to cover the additional support that they require during their studies. This is to assist you with course related expenses specifically related to your disability or Specific Learning Difference (SPLD).  You will need to contact  the Student Advice and Support Office to make an appointment with a Disability Adviser who can advise you on the process of applying.

Screening for Dyslexia

If you suspect that you may have dyslexia, or a specific learning difference (SpLD), we can offer you a screening.  We use a computer-based programme for the screening exercise which indicates if you are exhibiting indicators of an SpLD.  If you do, you will be given the opportunity of a referral to an Educational Psychologist for a full assessment.  To arrange a screening appointment, please visit, or contact  the Student Advice and Support Office.

Support with Accessing the Campus

If you require assistance to access the campus and University buildings, the Disability Service can help with:

  • Arranging support worker assistance.
  • Liaising with University Departments to arrange accessible teaching and exam venues. 
  • Referral for University disabled parking permits for non-Blue badge holders.
  • Development of a Personal Evacuation Plan if you will need assistance with evacuation in the event of an emergency.
  • SafeZone is a free app for students that connects you to the University security team if you ever need urgent help, first aid or if you have an emergency while on campus.
  • DisabledGo provides detailed access information for University buildings on the Kings College Campus, the Foresterhill Campus, and the Halls of Residence, to inform prospective students of the accessibility of the campus.