A comprehensive processing and sectioning service for Electron Microscopy, (sample prep/sectioning for TEM and SEM; cryo EM prep).
Training and assisted use can also provided.
- High pressure freezer (Leica Empact 2/RTS)
- Automated freeze substitution system (Leica AFS2/FSP)
- Ultramicrotomes, cryoultramicrotome for TEM sectioning
- SEM preparation equipment, including critical point drier, sputter coater and high vacuum coating unit
- Zeiss EVO MA10 SEM with INCA microanalysis + BSE, VP and STEM detectors
NEW - ACEMAC Nano Scale Electron Microscopy and Analysis Facility
The JEM-1400 Plus is JEOL’s latest Transmission Electron Microscope which builds on the original JEM-1400, currently the bestselling TEM in the UK. It has some advanced features never seen before on this type of instrument. To help users in the biological field we have added a new low magnification range which now allows the navigation of the sample at just 10x. This means that samples can be searched quicker for the region of interest. Also, the controls to the instrument use the latest OLED technology to indicate the changing function of the various controls of the microscope, making it easier to use.”
This is the first instrument in the UK and Ireland.
IMS2 room 1.76 Tel: 7441
- JEOL 1400 plus + AMT UltraVUE camera
- TEM - (sample prep, cryo, HPF + AFS)
IMS2 room 1.35.1 Tel: 7517
- Leica EmPact 2 High Pressure Freezer
- Leica AFS2
- Advantages – larger sample size, easy to do
- Disadvantages – higher possibility of artefacts
High pressure freezing
- Advantages – Better ultrastructural preservation
- Disadvantages – Sample size is limited
IMS2 Room 1.63 Tel: 7428
- Leica UC6 (with FC6 cryo attachment)
- Leica Ultracut E
- Leica EM stain - automatic grid stainer
Scanning electron microscopy allows you to view the surface detail of your sample, at a magnification range of x20 – x50,000. Resolution is ~ 5nm in biological samples.
Samples need to be dried and coated in a thin layer of gold before viewing.
IMS2 room 1.69 Tel 7434
- Zeiss EVO MA10 Scanning Electron Microscope.
- Oxford INCA X-ray microanalysis
IMS2 room 1.62 Tel 7427
- Quorum Sputter Coater
- Baltec 030 Critical Point drier
- Carbon coater