Leone Craig graduated from the University of Aberdeen with a BSc (Honours) in Health Sciences and an MSc in Human Nutrition & Metabolism. In 2005 she completed a PhD in Nutrition at The Robert Gordon University focussing on the area of childhood obesity.
She joined the Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine in October 2003 as a Research Assistant on the SEATON study. She was a Research Fellow in Public Health Nutrition from June 2005 to December 2017 when she moved to her current post of Teaching Fellow in Applied Health Sciences.
Dietary assessment and cross-sectional and cohort studies of diet and health in children and adults. Early life nutrition including infant feeding and childhood obesity.
A positive deviance approach to determine strategies for improving diet quality.
Measurement and communication of healthy sustainable diets.
Comparison of methods for global assessment of diets.
Development and testing of nutritional resources for adolescents from a low socio-economic background.
- The Study of Eczema and Asthma To Observe the influence of Nutrition (SEATON) longitudinal study.
- Aberdeen Birth Cohort (ABC) 1936 & 1921.
Secondary Analysis of the Survey of Sugar Intake among Children in Scotland (Food Standards Agency Scotland) 2007-2008. £69,040. McNeill G, Masson L, Craig L, Macdiarmid J, Holmes B.
A prospective study exploring the early infant feeding experiences of parents and their significant others during the first 6 months of life: what would make a difference? (NHS Health Scotland) 2009-2010. £89,754. Hoddinott P, Craig L, McInnes R.
Survey of diet, influences on food choices and eating practices among children in Scotland in 2010 (Food Standards Agency Scotland) 2010-2011. £468,204. Masson L, McNeill G, Macdiarmid J, Craig L, Bromley C.
Feasibility study for a trial of proactive telephone support for breastfeeding women (NHS Grampian) 2010-2011. £46,007. Hoddinott P, Craig L, McNicol J, Chick C, Riach J.
Qualitative Evaluation of the Eat, Play and Grow Well Programme (NHS Grampian) 2010-2011. £29,991. Craig L, Douglas F.
Development and clinical piloting of a dietary soup intervention during pregnancy with the aim of reducing the likelihood of childhood asthma (Baxters, Knowledge Exchange Transfer Fund, UoA Development Trust) 2012-2013. £52,487. Devereux G, Clark J, McNeill G, Norrie J, Craig L, Danielian P, Turner S.
Research to inform the development of a child healthy weight intervention for pre-school children (NHS Grampian) 2012-2013. £29,500. Craig L, Douglas F, Clark J, Jackson D, McNeill G, Reid V.
2017/2018-present Programme co-coordinator MSc Global Health & Management
2018/2019 Course co-coordinator PU5042 Introduction to Global Health online course
2018/2019 Course co-coordinator PU5505 Global Health (MSc Global Health & Management programme)
2016/17-present Course coordinator PU5534 Public Health Nutrition (MSc Human Nutrition programme)
2015/16 Assistant course coordinator PU5504 Public Health Nutrition (MSc Human Nutrition programme)
Lecturer on MSc Human Nutrition programme (Assessment of Nutritional Status, Nutrition and Health, Public Health Nutrition specialism courses)
Supervision of MSc Human Nutrition, Masters in Public Health, MSc Global Health & Management research projects
- Further Info
Member of the Nutrition Society Scottish Section CommitteeMember of the NHS Grampian Maternal & Infant Nutrition/Child Healthy Weight Steering GroupMember of the National Child Healthy Weight Evaluation Advisory Group
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 50 of 80
- Slater, RL, Chalmers, NG & Craig, LCA 2019, 'Greenhouse gas emissions of UK diets' Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 78, no. OCE2, E65. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665119000910
- Mohamad, H, Ntessalen, M, Craig, LCA, Clark, J, Fielding, S, N'Dow, J, Heys, SD & McNeill, G 2019, 'A self-help diet and physical activity intervention with dietetic support for weight management in men treated for prostate cancer: pilot study of the PRO-MAN randomised controlled trial' British Journal of Nutrition. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114519001090
- Newlands, R, Ntessalen, M, Clark, J, Fielding, S, Hoddinott, P, Heys, SD, McNeill, G & Craig, LCA 2019, 'Pilot randomised controlled trial of Weight Watchers® referral with or without dietitian-led group support for weight loss in women treated for breast cancer: the BRIGHT (BReast cancer weIGHT loss) trial.' Pilot & Feasibility Studies, vol. 5, 24. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40814-019-0405-x
- Devereux, G, Craig, L, Seaton, A & Turner, S 2019, 'Maternal vitamin D and E intakes in pregnancy and asthma to age 15 years: A cohort study' Pediatric Pulmonology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 11-19. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.24184
- Hollis, JL, Whybrow, S, Craig, LCA, Clark, H, Garden, L & McNeill, G 2018, 'Estimating plate-based model food proportions in adults living in Scotland using short dietary assessment questionnaires' Nutrition and Dietetics, pp. 1-11. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1747-0080.12441
- Whybrow, S, Craig, LCA & Macdiarmid, JI 2018, 'Dietary patterns of households in Scotland: Differences by level of deprivation and associations with dietary goals' Nutrition and Health, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 29-35. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0260106017745389
- Copperstone, CS, Douglas, FCG, Craig, LCA & Jackson, D 2018, 'Parents and School Children Talking about Food and Drink Choices – A Focus Group Study' Health Behavior and Policy Review, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 28-39. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.14485/HBPR.5.1.3
- Carstairs, SA, Marais, D, Craig, LCA & Kiezebrink, K 2017, 'How important are the influencing factors to the decision on whether to provide seafood in infant and young child feeding?' Appetite, vol. 117, pp. 224-233. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2017.05.034
- McNeill, G, Masson, LF, Macdiarmid, JI, Craig, LCA, Wills, WJ & Bromley, C 2017, 'Socio-economic differences in diet, physical activity and leisure-time screen use among Scottish children in 2006 and 2010: are we closing the gap? ' Public Health Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 951-958. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980016002949
- Hollis, JL, Craig, LCA, Whybrow, S, Clark, H, Kyle, JAM & McNeill, G 2017, 'Assessing the relative validity of the Scottish Collaborative Group FFQ for measuring dietary intake in adults' Public Health Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 449-455 . [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980016002421
- Luciano, M, Corley, J, Cox, SR, Valdes-Hernandez, M, Craig, LCA, Dickie, DA, Kerama, S, McNeill, GM, Bastin, ME, Wardlaw, JM & Deary, IJ 2017, 'Mediterranean-type diet and brain structural change from 73 to 76 years in a Scottish cohort' Neurology, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 449-455 . [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000003559
- Carstairs, SA, Craig, LCA, Marais, D & Kiezebrink, K 2017, 'Factors influencing mothers' decisions on whether to provide seafood during early years' feeding: A qualitative study' Appetite, vol. 108, pp. 277-287. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2016.10.010
- Clark, J, Holgan, N, Craig, L, Morgan, H, Danielian, P & Devereux, G 2016, 'Development and piloting of a food-based intervention to increase vitamin E intake in pregnant women in a randomised controlled trial' Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 848-851. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.353
- Carstairs, SA, Craig, LCA, Marais, D, Bora, OE & Kiezebrink, K 2016, 'A comparison of preprepared commercial infant feeding meals with home-cooked recipes' Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 101, no. 11, pp. 1037-1042. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2015-310098
- Carstairs, SA, Marais, D, Craig, LCA & Kiezebrink, K 2016, 'Seafood inclusion in commercial main meal early years' food products' Maternal and Child Nutrition, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 860-868. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12185
- Carstairs, SA, Marais, D, Craig, LCA & Kiezebrink, K 2016, 'Something fishy about homecooked infant feeding recipes' Community Practitioner, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 36-41.
- den Dekker, HT, Sonnenschein-van der Voort, AMM, de Jongste, JC, Anessi-Maesano, I, Arshad, SH, Barros, H, Beardsmore, CS, Bisgaard, H, Phar, SC, Craig, L, Devereux, G, van der Ent, CK, Esplugues, A, Fantini, MP, Flexeder, C, Frey, U, Forastiere, F, Gehring, U, Gori, D, van der Gugten, AC, Henderson, AJ, Heude, B, Ibarluzea, J, Inskip, HM, Keil, T, Kogevinas, M, Kreiner-Møller, E, Kuehni, CE, Lau, S, Mélen, E, Mommers, M, Morales, E, Penders, J, Pike, KC, Porta, D, Reiss, IK, Roberts, G, Schmidt, A, Schultz, ES, Schulz, H, Sunyer, J, Torrent, M, Vassilaki, M, Wijga, AH, Zabaleta, C, Jaddoe, VWV & Duijts, L 2016, 'Early growth characteristics and the risk of reduced lung function and asthma: A meta-analysis of 25,000 children' Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 137, no. 4, pp. 1026-1035. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2015.08.050
- Whybrow, S, Macdiarmid, JI, Craig, LCA, Clark, H & McNeill, G 2016, 'Using food intake records to estimate compliance with the Eatwell plate dietary guidelines' Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 262-268. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jhn.12334
- Ni, QQ, Whybrow, S & Craig, LCA 2016, 'Consumers’ ability to match foods to the eatwell plate' Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 75, no. OCE3, pp. E166. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665116001816
- Macdiarmid, JI, Mills, WJ, Masson, LF, Craig, LCA, Bromley, C & McNeill, G 2015, 'Food and drink purchasing habits out of school at lunchtime: a national survey of secondary school pupils in Scotland' The International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 12, 98. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-015-0259-4
- Allan, KM, Prabhu, N, Craig, LCA, McNeill, G, Kirby, B, McLay, J, Helms, PJ, Ayres, JG, Seaton, A, Turner, SW & Devereux, G 2015, 'Maternal vitamin D and E intakes during pregnancy are associated with asthma in children' European Respiratory Journal, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 1027-1036. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00102214
- Whybrow, S, Craig, L, Clark, H & McNeill, G 2015, 'Assessing compliance with healthy eating recommendations for food groups: comparison of a food frequency questionnaire and diet diary' Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 74, no. OCE3, pp. E187. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S002966511500213X
- Mohamad, H, McNeill, G, Haseen, F, N'Dow, J, Craig, LCA & Heys, SD 2015, 'The Effect of Dietary and Exercise Interventions on Body Weight in Prostate Cancer Patients: A Systematic Review' Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 43-60. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2015.976313
- Masson, LF, Craig, LCA, Macdiarmid, JI & McNeill, G 2015, 'Updates to nutrient composition databases can influence observed changes in nutrient intakes: results from national surveys of diet among children in Scotland in 2006 and 2010' Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 74, no. OCE3, pp. E203-E203. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665115002293
- Nwaru, BI, Hayes, H, Gambling, L, Craig, LCA, Allan, K, Prabhu, N, Turner, SW, McNeill, G, Erkkola, M, Seaton, A, McArdle, HJ & Devereux, G 2014, 'An exploratory study of the associations between maternal iron status in pregnancy and childhood wheeze and atopy' British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 2018-2027. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114514003122
- Douglas, F, Clark, J, Craig, L, Campbell, J & McNeill, G 2014, '"It's a balance of just getting things right": mothers' views about pre-school childhood obesity and obesity prevention in Scotland' BMC Public Health, vol. 14, 1009. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-1009
- Sonnenschein-van der Voort, AMM, Arends, LR, de Jongste, JC, Annesi-Maesano, I, Arshad, SH, Barros, H, Basterrechea, M, Bisgaard, H, Chatzi, L, Corpeleijn, E, Correia, S, Craig, LC, Devereux, G, Dogaru, C, Dostal, M, Duchen, K, Eggesbø, M, van der Ent, CK, Fantini, MP, Forastiere, F, Frey, U, Gehring, U, Gori, D, van der Gugten, AC, Hanke, W, Henderson, AJ, Heude, B, Iñiguez, C, Inskip, HM, Keil, T, Kelleher, CC, Kogevinas, M, Kreiner-Møller, E, Kuehni, CE, Küpers, LK, Lancz, K, Larsen, PS, Lau, S, Ludvigsson, J, Mommers, M, Nybo Andersen, A-M, Palkovicova, L, Pike, KC, Pizzi, C, Polanska, K, Porta, D, Richiardi, L, Roberts, G, Schmidt, A, Sram, RJ, Sunyer, J, Thijs, C, Torrent, M, Viljoen, K, Wijga, AH, Vrijheid, M, Jaddoe, VWV & Duijts, L 2014, 'Preterm birth, infant weight gain, and childhood asthma risk: A meta-analysis of 147,000 European children' Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 133, no. 5, pp. 1317-1329. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2013.12.1082
- Hill, WD, de Leeuw, C, Davies, G, Liewald, DCM, Payton, A, Craig, LCA, Whalley, LJ, Horan, M, Ollier, W, Starr, JM, Pendleton, N, Posthuma, D, Bates, TC & Deary, IJ 2014, 'Functional gene group analysis indicates no role for heterotrimeric G proteins in cognitive ability' PloS ONE, vol. 9, no. 3, e91690. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0091690
- Cooper, R, Stafford, M, Hardy, R, Aihie Sayer, A, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Cooper, C, Craig, L, Deary, IJ, Gallacher, J, McNeill, G, Starr, JM, Kuh, D, Gale, CR & on behalf of the HALCyon study team 2014, 'Physical capability and subsequent positive mental wellbeing in older people: findings from five HALCyon cohorts' Age, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 445-456. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11357-013-9553-8
- Smith, S, Craig, LCA, Raja, EA, McNeill, G & Turner, SW 2014, 'Prevalence and year-on-year trends in childhood thinness in a whole population study' Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 58-61. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2013-304423
- Newlands, R, Clark, J, Craig, LCA, Hoddinott, P, Heys, SD & McNeill, G 2014, 'A randomised feasibility trial with women treated for breast cancer comparing a commercial weight loss programme alone; with additional breast cancer focused dietitian-led groups and waiting- list control: The Breast Cancer Healthy Weight (BRIGHT) Trial' Proceedings of the American Institute of the Cancer Research Annual Research Conference on Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and Cancer.
- Hill, WD, Davies, G, Van De Lagemaat, LN, Christoforou, A, Marioni, RE, Fernandes, CPD, Liewald, DC, Croning, MDR, Payton, A, Craig, LCA, Whalley, LJ, Horan, M, Ollier, W, Hansell, NK, Wright, MJ, Martin, NG, Montgomery, GW, Steen, VM, Le Hellard, S, Espeseth, T, Lundervold, AJ, Reinvang, I, Starr, JM, Pendleton, N, Grant, SGN, Bates, TC & Deary, IJ 2014, 'Human cognitive ability is influenced by genetic variation in components of postsynaptic signalling complexes assembled by NMDA receptors and MAGUK proteins' Translational Psychiatry, vol. 4, e341, pp. 1-8. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/tp.2013.114
- Hoddinott, P, Morgan, H, Thomson, G, Crossland, N, Craig, L, Britten, J, Farrar, S, Newlands, R, Kiezebrink, K & Coyle, J 2013, 'Intervention vignettes as a qualitative tool to refine complex intervention design' Trials, vol. 14, no. Suppl 1, pp. O55. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-14-S1-O55
- Nwaru, BI, Craig, LCA, Allan, K, Prabhu, N, Turner, SW, McNeill, G, Erkkola, M, Seaton, A & Devereux, GS 2013, 'Breastfeeding and introduction of complementary foods during infancy in relation to the risk of asthma and atopic diseases up to 10 years' Clinical & experimental allergy, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1263-1273. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/cea.12180
- Gardner, MP, Martin-Ruiz, C, Cooper, R, Hardy, R, Sayer, AA, Cooper, C, Deary, IJ, Gallacher, J, Harris, SE, Shiels, PG, Starr, JM, Kuh, D, von Zglinicki, T, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Alfred, T, Aucott, P, Craig, L, Day, I, Demakakos, P, Elliott, J, Gale, C, Goodwin, J, Lennox, A, Martin, R, McNeill, G, Mishra, G, Mulla, Z, Murray, E, Parsons, S, Power, C, Richards, M, Southall, H, Steptoe, A, Tilling, K & Whalley, L 2013, 'Telomere Length and Physical Performance at Older Ages: An Individual Participant Meta-Analysis' PloS ONE, vol. 8, no. 7, e69526. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0069526
- McInnes, RJ, Hoddinott, P, Britten, J, Darwent, K & Craig, LCA 2013, 'Significant others, situations and infant feeding behaviour change processes: a serial qualitative interview study' BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, vol. 13, 114. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393-13-114
- Newlands, R, Haseen, F, Craig, L, Hoddinott, P, Heys, S & McNeill, G 2013, 'Interventions to promote weight loss in women treated for breast cancer: a systematic review' Obesity Facts, vol. 6, no. Suppl. 1, T1:P.149, pp. 85. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000170983
- Mohamad, H, Haseen, F, Craig, LCA, Heys, SD, N'Dow, JMO & McNeill, G 2013, 'The effect of dietary and exercise interventions on body weight in men diagnosed with prostate cancer: A systematic review' Obesity Facts, vol. 6, no. Suppl.1, pp. 118-119. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000170983
- Douglas, FCG, Craig, LCA, Clark, J, Gilmartin, AE, Dick, S & McNeill, G 2013, Main final report of a research study commissioned to inform a preschool child weight management programme within Grampian: Parents' and health visitors' prespectives. NHS Grampian.
- Smith, SM, Craig, LCA, Raja, EA, McNeill, G & Turner, SW 2013, 'Growing up before growing out: secular trends in height, weight and obesity in 5–6-year-old children born between 1970 and 2006' Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 269-273. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2012-302391
- Mõttus, R, McNeill, G, Jia, X, Craig, LCA, Starr, JM & Deary, IJ 2013, 'The associations between personality, diet and body mass index in older people' Health Psychology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 353-360. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/a0025537
- Friend, A, Craig, L & Turner, S 2013, 'The prevalence of metabolic syndrome in children: a systematic review of the literature' Metabolic syndrome and related disorders, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 71-80. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/met.2012.0122
- Wills, W, Macdiarmid, JI, Masson, LF, Bromley, C, Craig, LCA & McNeill, G 2013, 'Children’s Food and Drink Purchasing Behaviour “Beyond the School Gate”: The Development of a Survey Module' ISRN Nutrition, vol. 2013, 501450. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5402/2013/501450
- HALCyon Study Team 2012, 'Cognitive function in childhood and lifetime cognitive change in relation to mental wellbeing in four cohorts of older people' PloS ONE, vol. 7, no. 9, e44860. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0044860
- Luciano, M, Mõttus, R, Starr, JM, McNeill, G, Jia, X, Craig, LCA & Deary, IJ 2012, 'Depressive symptoms and diet: their effects on prospective inflammation levels in the elderly' Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 717-720. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbi.2011.10.007
- Hagger-Johnson, G, Mõttus, R, Craig, LCA, Starr, JM & Deary, IJ 2012, 'Pathways from childhood intelligence and socio-economic status to late-life cardiovascular disease risk' Health Psychology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 403-412. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/a0026775
- Hoddinott, P, Craig, LCA, Britten, J & McInnes, RM 2012, 'A serial qualitative interview study of infant feeding experiences: idealism meets realism' BMJ Open, vol. 2, no. 2, e000504. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2011-000504
- Clark, J, Craig, L, McNeill, G, Smith, N, Norrie, J & Devereux, G 2012, 'A Novel Dietary Intervention to Optimize Vitamin E Intake of Pregnant Women to 15 mg/Day' Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 297-301. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2011.08.033
- Alfred, T, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Cooper, R, Hardy, R, Cooper, C, Deary, IJ, Gaunt, TR, Gunnell, D, Harris, SE, Kumari, M, Martin, RM, Sayer, AA, Starr, JM, Kuh, D, Day, INM, HALCyon Study Team & Craig, L 2012, 'A multi-cohort study of polymorphisms in the GH/IGF axis and physical capability: the HALCyon programme' PloS ONE, vol. 7, no. 1, e29883. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0029883
- Newlands, R, Clark, J, Craig, LCA, McNeill, G, Hoddinott, P & Heys, S 2012, 'Focus group discussions to inform the design of a weight loss programme suitable for overweight and obese women treated for breast cancer' Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 71, no. OCE1, E3. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665112000316