It is virtually impossible to list all the variables that are recorded in a large database such as the AMND. A selection of commonly requested variables is given below. If a particular variable is required but does not appear below, it is best to ask – chances are it will be there (at least for some of the years!)
Explanation of Some Data Items Held
*indicates mandatory records
* PATIENT: This record contains the static information for each patient.
- Maiden Name/Forename
- Mother's Maiden Name
- Date, Place of Birth and Race
- Father's Social Class
- Current Parity
- Total No Pregnancies & Deliveries
- Date of Last Event
- Sex & Zygosity of Twin if Applicable
- Blood Group
- Height & Height Classification
- CHI Number
* PREGNANCY: Details of the first ante-natal booking visit including some of the static items corresponding to the pregnancy.
- Pregnancy number
- Date of Booking
- Obstetrician ID Number
- Patient Surname & Marital Status
- Patient Address & Postcode
- Date of Current Marriage
- Date of Last Menstrual Period
- Complications of pregnancy like preeclampsia, antepartum haemorrhage, premature rupture of membranes
- Pill Withdrawal Bleeding Experienced
- Gestation Period at Delivery
- Menstrual Cycle
- Smoking Habit
- Pregnancy Counselling
- Ovulation Induction
- Husband/Father's Date of Birth, Race & Social Class
- Deprivation Category
- Patient's Social Class at Delivery & prior to Marriage
* DELIVERY: Summary of labour and delivery including date and time of the stages of labour either spontaneous or induced.
- Date & Time of Membrane Rupture
- Type of Membrane Rupture
- Date & Time of each Stage of Delivery
- Type of Perineal Wound
- Type of Placenta Delivery
- Blood Loss at Delivery
- Placental Weight
- Stage 3 Drugs Administered
- Age at Delivery
- Number of Babies Delivered with Outcome
- Date of Discharge
- Duration between Delivery Stages
- Labour Type- whether spontaneous, induced or elective caesarean section
- Singleton Birth (Yes/No)
* BABY: Details for Each Baby Delivered including Type of Delivery & Outcome.
- Baby's Unit Number
- Number of Babies born for the Pregnancy
- Birth Order if Applicable
- Date of Birth & Time of Delivery
- Type of Delivery – whether it was a vaginal, forceps or ventouse delivery or by caesarean section
- Presentation at Delivery
- Sex & Weight of Baby
- Occipito-Frontal Circumference
- APGAR Scores at 1 & 5 Minutes
- Outcome of Pregnancy – whether it was a live birth, stillbirth or abortion
- Date of Discharge for Baby
- Weight of Baby at Discharge
- Baby's Feeding at Discharge
- Baby's Condition at Discharge
- Baby's Destination at Discharge
- Corrected/Standardised Birthweight Scores
In addition, there are some other variables available for some of the time period and for selected patients. These include:
- Diagnostic Procedures: Including ultrasound scans, x-rays, routine tests with results, conducted in the antenatal, or postnatal period.
- Operative Management: Includes procedures like blood transfusion, evacuation of the uterus carried out during the pregnancy, delivery or postnatal period.
- Drugs: Taken or prescribed during pregnancy, labour and in the immediate postnatal period.
- Indications for procedures: The indications for procedures like induction of labour and caesarean section are also coded.
- Intergenerational data: The AMND can match any daughter or granddaughter delivering at the Aberdeen Maternity Hospital with that of her mother or grandmother.
- Datasets from previous studies:Datasets used in research previously are flagged so that they can be retrieved or updated quite easily.
- Neonatal Data: Apart from those listed above, there are data on any complications developed during the neonatal period, admission to Neonatal unit and management.
Quality Assurance of Data
The completeness of data entry is checked at the end of each year with the NHS returns. There are several validity checks incorporated within the database to ensure against invalid data entry. The accuracy of data entry is checked regularly for subsets of records using case note reviews.