Chair in Old Age Medicine (Clinical)
- Profile on Google Scholar
- Profile on ResearchGate
- Profile on LinkedIn
- Academic Centre for Applied Clinical & Translational Research into Ageing
- Ageing Clinical & Experimental Research Team
- Aberdeen Cardiovascular & Diabetes Centre (ACDC)
Professor Myint completed undergraduate and house officer training in Myanmar (formerly Burma) and held post graduate clinical training posts in Yorkshire, East Kent, Mersey and Eastern Deaneries. He was awarded the Stroke Association Clinical Fellowship and received clinical stroke training in Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge. He was trained in Clinical Epidemiology in Cambridge and Norwich, UK. He was conferred the Doctor of Medicine (MD) in 2007 with the Thesis “Healthy Ageing: Determinants and Outcomes of Functional Health in EPIC-Norfolk”. His epidemiological work in stroke was cited as one of the research achievements of the Stroke Association funded research and his work in fruit & vegetable consumption and functional health was cited in the Alzheimer’s Society’s dementia awareness booklet which aimed at educating the general public.
He completed higher medical specialist training in March 2008 with accreditations in General Internal Medicine and Geriatric Medicine with sub-specialty in Stroke Medicine. He took up his first senior academic appointment with the Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia in 2008 as Clinical Senior Lecturer in Ageing and Stroke Medicine. He moved to Scotland in August 2013 to take up the position of Clinical Chair in Medicine (Old Age) with the University of Aberdeen School of Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition.
As a clinical academic, he is also a jobbing Geriatrician. He devotes 50% of time looking after older people in acute emergency setting, during subacute rehabilitation, and outpatient as well as in community settings. This involves working alongside multidisciplinary team members as well as liaising with general practitioners.
He has held many National Level Roles in the past including Executive Committee Member of the British Association of Stroke Physicians. He currently serves as the Founding Co-Chair of the Scottish Care of Older People (SCoOP) National Audit Programme and sits on the Council of the Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN) as the Royal College of Physicians London Representative and is also a member of the National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Dementias Clinical Studies Portfolio Development Group. Professor Myint is the Lead Academic for the Clinical Academic Training & Development in North of Scotland. In this role, he oversees various schemes of the Aberdeen Clinical Academic Training (ACAT).
Phyo's research interests include clinical epidemiology and outcome research in cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, determinants of physical and mental ageing (healthy ageing), clinical geriatrics (extreme old age, disability, pneumonia, clinical nutrition, dementias) and health services research of conditions prevalent in older age.
Current research spans across above research areas using various methodologies and data source
- Academic Centre for Applied Clinical & Translational Research into Ageing (ACTRA), Aberdeen http://www.abdn.ac.uk/iahs/research/actra.php
- Aberdeen Cardiovascular & Diabetes Centre (ACDC)
- UK Stroke Registers Collaboration (UKSRC)
- Norwich Research Park Cardiovascular Research Group
- Keele Cardiovascular Research Group, Centre for Prognosis Research
- Older Persons Surgical Outcome Collaboration (OPSOC)
- International Community-acquired Pneumonia (CAP) Collaboration Cohort (ICCC)
- Peking University Clinical Research Institute (PUCRI)
- Ageing & Age-associated Disorders Research Group, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Malaysian Elders Longitudinal Research (MELoR) Study
- Clinical Gerontology Unit (University of Cambridge)
- MRC Epidemiology Unit (Cambridge)
- Alzheimer's Society
- Alzheimer's Research UK Scotland Network
- Chief Scientist Office
- Dunhill Medical Trust
- Medical Research Scotland
- National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Research for Patient Benefit (RfPB) Programme
- National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Health Technology Assessment (HTA) Programme
- National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Programme Grant for Applied Research (PGAR)
- NHS R&D (Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust)
- NHS Grampian Endowment Research Grant
- Oral and Dental Research Trust
- Sir Halley Stewart Trust
- Tenovus Scotland
Director of Clinical Academic Training Development: Aberdeen Clinical Academic Training (ACAT) Programmes
Professor Myint is the Lead Academic of the Academic Training Development for the School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition at the University of Aberdeen from 2016. In this role he oversees a wide range of clinical academic initiatives for undergraduates such as Aberdeen Summer Research Scholarship and HOTSTART Scholarship programmes, and postgraduate clinical academic training programmes including the Academic Foundation Programme (AFP), Academic Core Training (ACT) Programme and SCREDS Clinical Lecturer scheme in North of Scotland Region, Scotland Deanery.
- Community Course Executive Group Member
- Member of the Regent Scheme (School of Medicine & Dentistry)
- Clinical Specialty Lead (Geriatric Medicine)
- Clinical Teaching (year 3, 4 and 5)
- TUTELAGE Committee Member
- Lead Clinician, Aberdeen Student Society for Academic Medicine
- MSc Epidemiology Module 2013-2015 (MSc in Public Health)
- Master of Public Health (MPH) (2016- )
- MSc in Human Nutrition
- MSc in Clinical Nutrition (2017- )
- MSc in Global Health and Management (2014- )
- MSc in Cardiovascular Health and Disease (2018- )
Research Project Supervision (Undergraduate/Postgraduate)
- Summer Research Scholarship Students
- Summer Vacation Research Students
- Specialist Registrar (STR) Research Projects
- Thesis supervision: MSc in Public Health, and MSc in Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- PhD supervision
- BSc (Hon.) Research Projects
- BMedSci Research Projects
- Further Info
- Co-Chair, Scottish Care of Older People (SCoOP) National Audit Project (2017-)
- NIHR Dementias Portfolio Development Group (PDG) Member (2015-)
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN) Council (Observer: Royal College of Physicians of London) (2013-)
- The Scottish Clinical Research Excellence Development Scheme (SCREDS) Operational Board Member, NHS Education for Scotland (2016-)
- INSPIRE Lead-School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition; The Academy of Medical Sciences (2016-)
- External Professional Advisor for Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman’s Office (2012 -)
- Senior Editor (American Journal of Cardiovascular Disease) (2012- )
- Editorial Board Member (Geriatrics (Basel)) (2014-); Section Editor-in-Chief (2018-)
- Editoral Board Member (Annals of Translational Medicine) (2016- )
- Editorial Board Member (Scientific Reports) (2017- )
- Associate Editor (Frontiers in Neurology) (2017 - )
- Editorial Board Member (Medical Journal of Islamic Republic of Iran) (2018 - )
- Editorial Board Member (Healthcare) (2019- )
- Expert peer reviewer for more than 70 academic journals in general medicine, clinical epidemiology, cardiovascular, respiratory, public health, nutriition, cognitive neuroscience, and ageing
- Peer reviewer for the Medical Research Council (UK), the Wellcome Trust, National Institute of Health Research (NIHR), British Heart Foundation, ESRC and Heart Research UK
Visiting Professor, University of Medicine (1), Yangon, Department of Health Professional Resource Development & Management, Ministry of Health, Government of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar (2016- )
- Funding Panel Member, Health Research Board, Republic of Ireland (2017, 2019)
- NIHR Dementia & Neurodegenerative Diseases Research Network (DeNDRoN) Dementia Clinical Studies Group member (2013-2015)
- National Executive Committee Member (British Association of Stroke Physicians) (2012-2014)
- Member of National Age & Ageing CLRN Group (2012-2013)
- East of England National Institute for Health Research RfPB Funding Advisory Committee Member (2012-2013)
- Funding Panel Member for the Life and Health Sciences panel. Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P. (FCT), the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (2013)
- Honorary Regional Deputy Secretary, East of England British Geriatrics Society (2012-2013)
- External Examiner-MSc in Geriatric Medicine- University of Salford, Manchester, UK
- Topic Expert Group Member (NICE)- COPD (2010-2011)
- Associate Editor (BMC Health Services Research) (2009- 2017)
- International Editorial Board Member (Open Heart Failure Journal) (2008-2010)
- Guideline Development Group Member- COPD Guidelines Update 2008 National Institute for Health & Clinical Excellence (2008-2010)
- Steering Committee Member- National COPD Resources and Outcomes Project (NCROP) (2007-2009)
- Elected Chair of Trainees, British Geriatrics Society (2005-2007)
- Elected Vice-Chair of Trainees, British Geriatrics Society (2003-2005)
- Founding Member, Trainees Committee, British Association of Stroke Physicians (2003-2005)
- Director of Academic Training Development & the Lead Academic, Aberdeen Clinical Academic Training (ACAT) Programmes
- School Executive Team Member (School of Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition)
- NHS Grampian Area Committee Member (University of Aberdeen Representative)
- Chair, Aberdeen Clinical Academic Training Executive Board, School of Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition
- Ageing Clinical & Experimental Research (ACER) Team Lead, Institute of Applied Health Sciences, University of Aberdeen
- Educational Supervisor-Foundation Doctors (Department of Medicine for the Elderly)
- Academic Mentor-Specialty Training Programme in Geriatric Medicine, North East Scotland, Scotland
- Geriatric Medicine Training Committee, North Region, NHS Education for Scotland, Scotland
- Academic Line Manager, School of Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition
- Member: TUTELAGE Committee
- Co-ordinator of NIHR ACF programme- University of East Anglia (2009-2013 )
- Co-Course Director- MSc in Health Research, University of East Anglia (2011-2013)
- Norwich Academic Training Office (NATO) Board Member- Faculty of Health, University of East Anglia (2010-2013 )
- Postgraduate Research (PGR) LTQC Representative for Doctor of Medicine (MD), Degree, Norwich Medical School, Faculty of Health, UEA (Oct 2010-March 2012 )
- Postgraduate Research (PGR) Lead (MD) for Health and Social Sciences Research Institute (HSSRI) (2009-2010)
- Deputy Representative to TUTELAGE Committee for Geriatric Medicine (2014- July 2016)
- Educational Supervisor- Specialty Training in Geriatric Medicine & Core Medical Training Programme, Norwich, Eastern Deanery.
- AGEING theme lead, Epidemiology Group, Division of Applied Health Sciences, University of Aberdeen
- Educational Supervisor-Specialty Training Programme in Geriatric Medicine, North East Scotland, Scotland (2013-2018)
Membership of Societies
- British Association of Stroke Physicians
- British Geriatrics Society
- British and Irish Hypertension Society
- British Medical Association
- Scottish Society of Physicians
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (Stroke Council; Cardiovascular Epidemiology & Prevention Council;Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis & Vascular Biology Council)
Selected recent publications
Hewitt J, Carter B, Vilches-Moraga A, Quinn TJ, Braude P, Verduri A, Pearce L, Stechman M, Short R, Price A, Collins JT, Bruce E, Einarsson A, Rickard F, Mitchell E, Holloway M, Hesford J, Barlow-Pay F, Clini E, Myint PK, Moug SJ, McCarthy K; COPE Study Collaborators. The effect of frailty on survival in patients with COVID-19 (COPE): a multicentre, European, observational cohort study. Lancet Public Health. 2020 Jun 30:S2468-2667(20)30146-8.
Barlas G, Luben RN, Neal SR, Wareham NJ, Khaw K-T, Myint, PK. Self-reported fatigue predicts incident stroke in a general population: EPIC-Norfolk prospective population-based study', Stroke.2020;51(4):1077-1084.
Richardson K, Fox C, Maidment I, Steel N, Loke YK, Arthur A, Myint PK, Grossi CM, Mattishent K, Bennett K, Campbell NL, Boustani M, Robinson L, Brayne C, Matthews FE, Savva GM. Anticholinergic drugs and risk of dementia: case-control study. BMJ. 2018;361:k1315.
Gamble DT, Clark AB, Luben RN, Wareham NJ, Khaw KT, Myint PK. Baseline anticholinergic burden from medications predicts incident fatal and non-fatal stroke in the EPIC-Norfolk general population. Int J Epidemiol 2018;47(2):625-633.
Cumming K, MacLeod AD, Myint PK, Counsell CE. Early weight loss in parkinsonism predicts poor outcomes: evidence from an incident cohort study. Neurology 2017;89(22):2254-2261.
Quinn TJ, Singh S, Bath PM, Lees KR, Myint PK. Validating and Comparing Stroke Prognosis Scales. Neurology. 2017;89(10):997-1002.
Mamas MA, Sperrin M, Watson MC, Coutts A, Wilde K, Burton C, Kadam UT, Kwok CS, Clark AB, Murchie P, Buchan I, Hannaford PC, Myint PK. Do patients have a worse outcome with heart failure than cancer? A primary care based cohort study with 10-year follow-up in Scotland. Eur J Heart Fail 2017;19(9):1095-1104.
Wood AD, Mannu GS, Clark AB, Tiamkao S, Kongbunkiat K, Bettencourt-Silva JH, Sawanyawisuth K, Kasemsap N, Barlas RS, Mamas M, Myint PK. Rheumatic Mitral Valve Disease Is Associated With Worse Outcomes in Stroke: A Thailand National Database Study. Stroke. 2016;47(11):2695-2701.
Basu N, Yang X, Luben RN, Whibley D, Macfarlane GJ, Wareham NJ, Khaw KT, Mynt PK. Fatigue is associated with excess mortality in the general population: results from the EPIC-Norfolk Study. BMC Medicine 2016;14(1):122.
Myint PK, Hellkamp AS, Fonarow GC, Reeves MJ, Schwamm LH, Schulte PJ, Xian Y, Suter RE, Bhatt DL, Saver JL, PetersonED, SmithEE. Prior Antithrombotic Use is Associated with Favorable Mortality and Functional Outcomes in Acute Ischemic Stroke: Evidence from the AHA/ASA Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Database. Stroke 2016; 47(8):2066-74.
Myint PK, Kwok CS, Roffe C, Kontopantelis E, Zaman A, Berry C, Ludman PF, de Belder MA, Mamas MA; British Cardiovascular Intervention Society and the National Institute for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research. Determinants and Outcomes of Stroke Following Percutaneous Coronary Intervention by Indication. Stroke. 2016;47(6):1500-7.
Abdul-Rahim AH, Quinn TJ, Alder S, Clark AB, Musgrave SD, Langhorne P, Potter JF, Myint PK. Derivation and Validation of a Novel Prognostic Scale (Modified-Stroke Subtype, Oxfordshire Community Stroke Project Classification, Age, and Prestroke Modified Rankin) to Predict Early Mortality in Acute Stroke. Stroke. 2016;47(1):74-9.
Kwok CS*, Boekholdt SM*, Lentjes MA, Loke YK, Luben RN, Yeong JK, Wareham NJ, Myint PK≠, Khaw KT≠ (*Joint first authors; ≠ Joint last authors). Habitual chocolate consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease among healthy men and women. Heart. 2015;101(16):1279-87.
Kwok CS, Kontopantelis E, Myint PK, Zaman A, Berry C, Keavney B, Nolan J, Ludman PF, de Belder MA, Buchan I, Mamas MA; British Cardiovascular Intervention Society; National Institute for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research. Stroke following percutaneous coronary intervention: type-specific incidence, outcomes and determinants seen by the British Cardiovascular Intervention Society 2007-12. Eur Heart J. 2015;36(25):1618-28.
Zaman MJ, Stirling S, Shepstone L, Ryding A, Flather M, Bachmann M, Myint PK. The association between older age and receipt of care and outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndromes: a cohort study of the Myocardial Ischaemia National Audit Project (MINAP). Eur Heart J. 2014;35(23):1551-8.
Myint PK, Clark AB, Kwok CS, Loke YK, Yeong JK, Luben RN, Wareham NJ, Khaw KT. Bone mineral density and incidence of stroke: European Prospective Investigation into Cancer-Norfolk population-based study, systematic review, and meta-analysis. Stroke. 2014;45(2):373-82.
Page 1 of 38 Results 1 to 10 of 372
- Mohamed, MO, Roddy, E, Ya’qoub, L, Myint, PK, Al Alasnag, M, Alraies, C, Clarson, L, Helliwell, T, Mallen, C, Fischman, D, Al Shaib, K, Abhishek, A & Mamas, MA 2020, 'Acute Myocardial Infarction in Autoimmune Rheumatological Disease: A Nationwide Analysis of Clinical outcomes and Predictors of Management Strategy', Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
- Khezrian, M, McNeil, CJ, Murray, AD & Myint, PK 2020, 'An overview of prevalence, determinants and health outcomes of polypharmacy', Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety, vol. 11, pp. 1-10. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177%2F2042098620933741
- Myint, PK, Macleod, MJ, Clark, AB, Smith, TO, Bettencourt-Silva, JH, Metcalf, AK & Potter, JF 2020, 'Anaemia and incidence of post stroke dementia', Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 191, 105688. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2020.105688
- Stewart, C, Yrjana, K, Kisshor, M, Soiza, RL, Taylor-Rowan, M, Quinn, TJ, Loke, YK & Myint, PK 2020, 'Anticholinergic Burden Measures Predict Older People’s Physical Function and Quality of Life: A Systematic Review', Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2020.05.065
- Neal, SR, Wood, AD, Ablett, AD, Gregory, JS, Guillot, J, Macdonald, HM, Reid, DM & Myint, PK 2020, 'Anticholinergic burden in middle-aged women and recurrent falls in later life: findings from the Aberdeen Prospective Osteoporosis Screening Study (APOSS)', Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety, vol. 11, pp. 1-9. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/2042098620929852
- Pieper, NT, Grossi, CM, Chan, W-Y, Loke, YK, Savva, GM, Haroulis, C, Steel, N, Fox, C, Maidment, ID, Arthur, AJ, Myint, PK, Smith, TO, Robinson, L, Matthews, FE, Brayne, C & Richardson, K 2020, 'Anticholinergic drugs and incident dementia, mild cognitive impairment and cognitive decline: a meta-analysis', Age and Ageing. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afaa090
- Yrjana, KR, Keevil, VL, Soiza, RL, Luben, RN, Wareham, NJ, Khaw, K-T & Myint, PK 2020, 'Anticholinergic medication exposure predicts poor physical capability: Findings from a large prospective cohort study in England.', Maturitas, vol. 142, pp. 55-63. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2020.07.006
- Khezrian, M, Waymont, JMJ, Myint, PK, McNeil, CJ, Whalley, L, Staff, R & Murray, AD 2020, 'Aspirin moderates the association between cardiovascular risk, brain white matter hyperintensity total lesion volume and processing speed in normal ageing', Maturitas, vol. 133, pp. 49-53. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2020.01.001
- Hanlon, P, Quinn, TJ, Gallacher, K, Myint, PK, Jani, BD, Nicholl, BI, Lowrie, R, Soiza, RL, Neal, SR, Lee, D & Mair, F 2020, 'Assessing Risks of Polypharmacy Involving Medications With Anticholinergic Properties', Annals of Family Medicine, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 148-155. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.2501
- Rashid, M, Kontopantelis, E, Kinnaird, T, Curzen, N, Gale, CP, Mohamed, MO, Shoaib, A, Myint, PK, Nolan, J, Zaman, MJ, Timmis, A & Mamas, M 2020, 'Association Between Hospital Cardiac Catheter Laboratory Status, Use of an Invasive Strategy, and Outcomes After NSTEMI', Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 868-877. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjca.2019.10.010