Knowledge Syntheses, incorporating modelling and economic evaluation, primarily aim to provide reliable summaries to
- identify which health care interventions works best, for whom and at which cost;
- identify ‘proven changes’ that should occur within the health services; and
- identify gaps where further research is required.
Our Knowledge Synthesis Team conduct high quality research to inform health care professionals, policy makers and service users across a wide range of health care interventions, in particular non-drug interventions. It has a well-established expertise in the conduct of complex evidence syntheses, including mixed method and multi-method designs, and health technology assessments.
Our research activity is generally multidisciplinary involving partners from a range of disciplines and institutions. Patient involvement is actively encouraged particularly through integral involvement of consumer groups. Among our clients there is the National Institute of Health research (NIHR) and the National Institute of for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
Current Project Highlights
- NIHR HTA 17/68/01 Testosterone Effects and Safety in Men with Low Testosterone levels (TestES Consortium): An evidence synthesis (including an individual participant data meta-analysis) and economic evaluation
- 12/75/35 Risankizumab for treating chronic moderate to severe plaque psoriasis
- 18/54/10 Lanadelumab for preventing recurrent attacks of hereditary angioedema
Completed Project Highlights
- NIHR HTA 15/09/06 The Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of Surgical Treatments for womEn with stRess urinary incontinence: An evidence synthesis, economic evaluation and discrete choice experiment (ESTER)
- 17/40/02 Inotersen for treating hereditary transthyretin‐related amyloidosis
- 18/54/04 Enzalutamide for treating non-metastatic hormonerelapsed prostate cancer
- NIHR HTA 15/09/04 Systematic review and integrated report on the quantitative, qualitative and economic evidence base for the management of severe obesity (REBALANCE)
- NIHR PHR 17/48/02 Child food insecurity in the UK: evidence on its extent, nature and effects and what can be done to address it. A rapid review
- NIHR SR 16/59/01 Interventions for treating people with symptoms of bladder pain syndrome: a network meta-analysis
- NIHR HTA 15/78/01 The clinical and cost-effectiveness of protocols using contrast-enhanced ultrasound and/or colour duplex ultrasound in the long-term surveillance of endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair (EVAR): an evidence synthesis and economic evaluation
- 16/168/08 Dupilumab for treating adults with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis
- 16/108/08 Abiraterone for newly diagnosed hormone-naïve metastatic prostate cancer
- 15/194/08 Padeliporfin for treating localised prostate cancer