Knowledge Syntheses, incorporating modelling and economic evaluation, primarily aim to provide reliable summaries to
- identify which health care interventions works best, for whom and at which cost;
- identify ‘proven changes’ that should occur within the health services; and
- identify gaps where further research is required.
Our Knowledge Synthesis Team conduct high quality research to inform health care professionals, policy makers and service users across a wide range of health care interventions, in particular non-drug interventions. It has a well-established expertise in the conduct of complex evidence syntheses, including mixed method and multi-method designs, and health technology assessments.
Our research activity is generally multidisciplinary involving partners from a range of disciplines and institutions. Patient involvement is actively encouraged particularly through integral involvement of consumer groups. Among our clients there is the National Institute of Health research (NIHR) and the National Institute of for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
Current Project Highlights
- NIHR HTA 132999 What is the evidence for interventions used to manage sleep disturbances in people with fibromyalgia? A comprehensive evidence synthesis to inform clinical practice and future research.
- 134808 Teduglutide for treating short bowel syndrome
- 134488 Relugolix with oestradiol and norethisterone acetate for treating uterine fibroids
- 133147 Venetoclax with a hypomethylating agent or low dose cytarabine for untreated acute myeloid leukaemia unsuitable for intensive chemotherapy
- 134167 Palforzia for treating peanut allergy
- NIHR HTA 17/68/01 Testosterone Effects and Safety in Men with Low Testosterone levels (TestES Consortium): An evidence synthesis (including an individual participant data meta-analysis) and economic evaluation
- NIHR Short Report 132153 Pre-hospital treatment of status epilepticus in adults: a synthesis of current evidence
- 127898 TYRX Absorbable Antibacterial Envelope for preventing infection from cardiac implantable electronic devices
- 133037 Berotralstat for the prevention of recurrent attacks of hereditary angioedema
- 133489 Secukinumab for treating moderate to severe plaque psoriasis in children and young people
Completed Project Highlights
- 128276 Fostamatinib for treating chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura
- 130569 Enzalutamide with ADT for treating metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer
- 132656 Avelumab for the maintenance treatment of locally advanced or metastatic urothelial cancer
- 130927 Chlormethine gel for treating mycosis fungoides-type cutaneous T-cell lymphoma
- Recommendations for the re-opening of dental services: a rapid review of international sources
- Aerosol generating procedures and their mitigation in international guidance documents
- 128897 Biomarkers for assessing acute kidney injury for people who are being considered for admission to critical care: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis
- 127891 Lorlatinib for previously treated ALK-positive advanced non-small-cell lung cancer
- NIHR HTA 15/09/06 The Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of Surgical Treatments for womEn with stRess urinary incontinence: An evidence synthesis, economic evaluation and discrete choice experiment (ESTER)
- 18/54/04 Enzalutamide for treating non-metastatic hormonerelapsed prostate cancer
- NIHR HTA 15/09/04 Systematic review and integrated report on the quantitative, qualitative and economic evidence base for the management of severe obesity (REBALANCE)
- NIHR PHR 17/48/02 Child food insecurity in the UK: evidence on its extent, nature and effects and what can be done to address it. A rapid review
- NIHR SR 16/59/01 Interventions for treating people with symptoms of bladder pain syndrome: a network meta-analysis