Staff News - February 2024
Emma Berry joined us on 1 February as a Research Fellow, having been awarded an Elizabeth Russell Research Fellowship. Many of you will already know Emma as she has been a PhD student in the Unit for the last few years. Emma will be based on the 2nd floor and...
Addressing health inequality in randomised trials
Moderna, the company behind one of the UK’s COVID vaccines, has been speaking to members of under-served communities and others, including HSRU’s Prof Shaun Treweek, about how to address inequality in clinical trials. This has led to an approach called ACT– Accessible; Convenient; Trusted – that Moderna will promote in its...
What matters in a funeral? New casebook to help bereaved people and deathcare providers
Family disagreements over eulogy content, a funeral director's misplacing of a body and an argument over disposal of ashes are just three examples of funeral-related case studies developed by University of Aberdeen researchers to help people reflect on what matters and why about funeral provision.
The Institute of Applied Health Sciences at the University of Aberdeen Presents Honorary Appointment
The Institute of Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) at the University of Aberdeen has taken a significant step in redefining the nature of research partnerships between members of the public and researchers by bestowing honorary titles upon members of its Health Services Research Unit (HSRU) Public Involvement Partnership (PIP) group. This...
Prof Kathy Rowan delivers the 2023 Adrian Grant Memorial Lecture
We were delighted to welcome Professor Kathy Rowan to HSRU to present this year's Adrian Grant Memorial Lecture. Professor Rowan gave us her reflections on the future of health services research highlighting key areas for consideration and left us feeling energised and enthused for the future of health services research. Professor Kathy...
HSRU PhD Student Frank You wins this years PGR Conference Research Image Competition
Well done to our PhD student Frank You whose entry won in the School of Medicine, Medical Sciences & Nutrition Postgraduate Conference Research Image Competition last week. Frank's research explores how behavioural science can inform the design and delivery of low carbon trials. Frank is grateful for the funded research opportunity that...
Staff News - November 2023
Welcome to Nicole Sergenson and Holly Keir, who have joined the trial management team. Before joining us, Nicole was the Research Project Manager for the Scottish arm of the SIREN study which looked at COVID vaccine effectiveness and immunity. She is now the trial manager for our SPIROMAC study. Holly...
New treatment for severe bleeding after injury does not show benefit in clinical trial
A new technique used to control severe bleeding in injured patients has been found to likely increase the risk of death, according to new research from the University of Aberdeen.
Staff News - October 2023
This month we have welcomed new PhD students and visiting colleagues. These include: Lucy Halamova is one of three Dunhill Foundation students working on ageing and will be co-supervised by Louise Locock and Stephen Makin (Rural health centre in Inverness) and Louise Phillips in Psychology. She’ll be working on decision-making about...
Staff News - September 2023
Sadly, we have recently said farewell to Sharon Wren and to Bev Smith. Sharon worked with us as a Data Coordinator since 2016 and left us in July and we wish her all the best! Bev Smith, was a Unit Administration Assistant with the Unit since 2014 left us in...
Browse by Month
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2024
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2024
- May There are no items to show for May 2024
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2024
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2024
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2024
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2024
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2024
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2024
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2024
- Jan There are no items to show for January 2013
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2013
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2013
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2013
- May There are no items to show for May 2013
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2013
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2013
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2013
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2013
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2013
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2013