Our 2018-19 Themes are coming soon.
You can read more about our 2017-18 Themes below:
- Sustainability and Development Studies
- Community and adult education, including adult literacies
- Community development
- Education for social and ecological justice
- Education linked to positive action for change and development
- Professional Learning and Teacher Education
With a focus on research at all stages of the development of teachers in early years, primary and secondary education contexts. This includes initial teacher education and the career-long continuing professional development of teachers, as well as digital technologies as an extension of the learning environment across the life course.
We are also interested in the learning of other professions linked to the educational context. A distinctive feature of this research is the role which partners play in its design and delivery.
- Interdisciplinary Research
In our multi-faceted and complex world, with many factors impacting on our lives (not least in education), our disciplinary areas become more and more knowledgeable about narrower and narrower areas. It is therefore essential that we find new ways to allow dialogue and exchange ideas among the different disciplines.
School of Education staff were involved in interdisciplinary research with colleagues internally and from other institutions regarding:
- Pathways to healthy living
- Growing food and sustainability
- Ways of living and learning in the North
- Inclusion, Mental Health and Well-being
With a strong focus on social justice in Education, bringing together policy, research and practice. Research is grounded into a concern for the human subjects and the educational experiences afforded by different environments.
School of Education staff worked in schools and the wider community to develop pedagogies and practices.