Professor Catia Montagna
Jaffrey Chair of Political Economy
Catia joined the University of Aberdeen in June 2013 as Professor of Economics. She was awarded the Jaffrey Chair of Political Economy in 2018. She previously held appointments at the University of Glasgow and at the University of Dundee where she held a Personal Chair in Economics.
Catia is a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Internal Memberships
- School Director of Research
- Director of Research for Economics
- External Memberships
- Fellow, Academy of the Social Sciences
- External Research Fellow, Centre for Research on Globalisation and Economic Policy, University of Nottingham
- Network Member InsTED - Institutions, Trade and Economic Development
- Firms in the Global Economy
- Labour Markets, Trade and FDI
- Globalisation and the Welfare State
- Globalisation, Economic Insecurity and Wellbeing
Funding and Grants
Recent Major Research Grants
- 2015-2018: "Globalisation, Labour Markets and the Welfare State", NORFACE Welfare State Futures (€ 807,446) - Project PI, with Holger Görg (IFW-Kiel) and Fredrik Sjöholm (Lund University).
- 2014 -2018: “Skill Mismatches and Competitiveness: Workers, Firms and Industries”, ESRC/Scottish Government +3 Collaborative Scholarship – student Pietropaolo Vanin (First supervisor, with Keith Bender).
- 2012-16: “Welfare, Wealth and Work for Europe” (http://www.foreurope.eu/), (with H. Molana and Y-F Chen from the University of Dundee) – EU Cooperation Programme / Theme 8 / Socio-economic Sciences and Humanities (Call ID “FP7-SSH-2011-1”), total bid value € 8.5 million involving 33 institutions from 12 European Countries).
- 2010 -: "The Effects of Economic Insecurity on Health and Wellbeing", ESRC 1+3 Studentship Competition – student Daniel Kopasker.
- International Economics (EC3024, Course Coordinator)
- Industrial Economics (EC3522)
- Business Strategy (BU5558, Coordinator)
- International Trade (Scottish Graduate Programme in Economics MSc)
Page 1 of 4 Results 1 to 10 of 35
Thyroid Dysfunction - Can it Help Explain the Gender Wage Gap?Working Papers and Discussion Papers: Discussion Papers
De-Globalization, Welfare State Reforms and Labor Market OutcomesIMF Economic Review, vol. 69, pp. 624-655Contributions to Journals: Articles
Welfare and Trade Effects of International Environmental AgreementsEnvironmental and Resource Economics, vol. 76, pp. 331-345Contributions to Journals: Articles
Economic insecurity: A socioeconomic determinant of mental healthSSM - Population Health, vol. 6, pp. 184-194Contributions to Journals: Articles
Competitive selection, trade, and employment: The strategic use of subsidiesReview of International Economics, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1154-1177Contributions to Journals: Articles
Firm Size Distribution and Employment Fluctuations: Theory and EvidenceResearch in Economics, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 690-703Contributions to Journals: Articles
Economising, Strategising and the Vertical Boundaries of the FirmB.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, vol. 17, no. 1, 20150085Contributions to Journals: Articles
(De)Unionisation, Trade Liberalisation and SelectionMetroeconomica, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 91-122Contributions to Journals: Articles
Editorial: The Scottish Journal of Political Economy's 60th Birthday IssueScottish Journal of Political Economy, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 461Contributions to Journals: Editorials
Employment Protection, Flexibility and Firms' Strategic Location Decisions under UncertaintyEconomica, vol. 80, no. 319, pp. 441–474Contributions to Journals: Articles